IGNORED

Bridgestone Battlax T31

strataj

I'd like to know what the tread depth is for a new Bridgestone Battlax T31?  I have my first set of these mounted on my 14RT and trying to judge if I have enough left for the trip to the National.  I don't get the millage out of tires l read about so I'm checking by wear not distances. Thanks

realshelby

New:

Front 4/32"

Rear  7/32"

I have found that the T-31 wear slows down when there is less tread depth. My current rear still had 3/32" at 7103 miles to compare. I used to replace rears at 6-7K miles. But the T-31 has given me a LOT better tire wear. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't have the data handy, but I've got over 10k miles on a set of T31's and there's plenty of tread left both front and rear. I'm getting spooled up for a run to the Dragon nest month and that looks like about a 1,000 mile round trip. I'll measure mine when I get home, I have a spreadsheet set up where I calculate tire tread where per mile (or thousand miles) and the rate has been dropping. If your wear is atypical though, I'm not sure asking here for either mileage or remaining tread depth will help. Aren't there vendors there set up to do tire changes? You could just need enough for the one-way trip.

T31’s are great tires.  Especially so since they cost so much less than the other GT sport touring tires.  For the past few years Bridgestone has offered a rebate in the spring if you buy a full set.  Last year I paid a net $180 for a set of T31’s.  This year, it was net $220 for the new T32.

But tire wear is affected by so many variables that it becomes pointless to try to compare tread wear anecdotes.  My T31’s last ME about 5000-7000 miles.   Boxflyer just shredded his new T32’s in 3700 miles during his visit to CO, NM, AZ, and WY.  Your mileage WILL vary.  

cap

15 hours ago, Cap said:

But tire wear is affected by so many variables that it becomes pointless to try to compare tread wear anecdotes.  My T31’s last ME about 5000-7000 miles.   Boxflyer just shredded his new T32’s in 3700 miles during his visit to CO, NM, AZ, and WY.  Your mileage WILL vary.  

cap

So True! Exactly why "tire tests" done by journalists and manufacturers are simply BS. Now if someone says they get 6K out of a rear ( insert brand here ) and switched to ( insert brand here ) and now gets 7500 miles out of that one, that can be something to consider. Many don't ask about how the tire rides, how much noise there is when new...and especially how noisy they are after half worn. Handling....matters but honestly once you are used to tire it will outhandle you or the bike anyway. We have really good tires to chose from!

• Like 1

If you're not to the traction gaining white stripes, you've not worn the tire down enough!!  :18::19:

How many miles do you plan to put on during the trip, and how many miles on the tires now? While I understand mileage isn't the end all-be all, it is somewhat telling long term and short term planning.

I didn't measure the new tire depth (installed at 13,350 miles) but here's a little data showing how my T-31GTs are fairing. Ten thousand miles and still going strong. The wear appears to me to be pretty linear.

Tire Wear.png

With both of my tires at 2/32" and starting to cup, I need to start looking for deals. I see the T32's are out now. Anyone know if there's been any improvement (or that they didn't screw up the wear rate at least)?