IGNORED

Roadside Assistance Plans?

Twisties

We've had Allstate's RV plan for years and years.  First just for the motos (and cars), now we actually have a 5th wheel RV, too.  It was advertised as unlimited.  

Apparently this year there is yet another price increase and service will for the first time be officially limited.  Assistance will be limited to 3 rescues/yr and up $150 benefit for $79, or 5 rescues and up $250 benefit for $149.  These are advertised 1st yr prices.  Someone I know just got their renewal notice and it was for $169.  

As well, last time I used it they did not get my moto towed on the day of the incident.  I rode 2-up to get to our motel, which was only 30 miles away.  Then, after hours on the phone w/Allstate, and a no show, a tow finally appeared around 9:30 the next morning.  

This brings up the question, what roadside plan if any, do you use for your motos (and r/v?) and how has it been?.

I have a couple of them through my insurance and BMW Warranties but recently had the opportunity to use my AMA Roadside Assistance TWICE for the same bike.  The AMA costs me $29 a year as a lifetime member.   I had acquired a 2001 Harley and had it in my local BMW dealer for service.  Picked it up and did not make it home.  Finally got the bike running and home to my garage.  Now had to get it back to the dealer.  Called AMA Roadside and in less than 90 min. it was on the way back.   The follow-up and communication was very good.  The transport was a flatbed and the guy was well versed in loading motorcycles.  Long story but after checking the bike out the dealer suggested taking it to a Harley speciality shop as they have more experience with HD's.  So not I have to get it from one dealer to another shop.  Call up AMA Roadside and explain the situation.  No problem .. when would you like the bike picked up?   I set it up for 11:00 AM the following day and at 10:05 I get a text from the company telling me they are enroute and will be there in less than 90 min.  I meet them at the dealer and they arrive this time with a very nice single bike motorcycle trailer with locking wheel chock.   Roll the bike up and they are on the way.   In both instances the bike arrived in the same condition it left.   The coverage is up to 35 miles and the 2nd tow was about 33 miles.   Needless to say I am very pleased with my $29 annual cost as these 2 tows would have been probably $100 each or more. 

RoanokeRider

The only 2 times that I tried to use the AARP plan (administered by Allstate), they were unable to provide assistance. Both times were near major interstates in populated areas. Switched to the AMA plan and have only used it once and that was out of gas in a state car. I asked if it was covered and nobody seemed to know so they covered it. Got a call from the tow service within minutes and driver was there in 30 mins. I was pleased with the way it was handled.

• Like 1
Michaelr11

Here's a WARNING to any rider that uses the AMA roadside assistance plan.  If your  bike gets disabled because you hit an animal, DO NOT MENTION IT.  Just tell them your bike died for an unknown reason and you need a tow.

AMA refused to provide tow service to me when a deer ran into the front of my RT.  The bike was still rollable, no different than if my battery had died or some other electrical problem had shut down the bike.  But, because the incident involved "a collision" they would not provide a tow.  Left me stranded on a Sunday morning.  Turned out that the impact had snapped the fuel pump, so the motor would not restart.

I cancelled my AMA membership and picked up AAA RV Plus coverage.

Michiganr80rt

I use the BMW MOA plan. I have had to use the towing once. My R80RT died about 40 miles from home. I called the plan, they had a flatbed there to pick up the bike in about 45 minutes. They took a photo of my bike, the odometer, and the license plate then loaded the bike using a dolly that they could pull onto the flatbed. I had them tow the bike back to my garage. 

The problem ended up being a hard failure of the battery. When I stopped for a turn the alternator was not providing enough power to keep the plugs firing.

I used my AMA plan two years ago and got excellent service when my Concours would not start on a trip far from home.

I was not aware of their collision rule.

• Like 1

When I called for a flat bed truck, the MOA folks were unable to contact any service available within reasonable time. In January, halfway between Sedona and Flagstaff, and watching a waning sun, I arranged my own transport to my home in Sedona, 15 miles away. I spent the next 5 months trying to recover the cost of the transport with no success. My reading of the contract indicates that the bike must be transported to a BMW authorized dealer for the coverage to be in effect. Since I had a spare front wheel to replace the rock-damaged one, and can mount my own tires, I couldn't see the need for the bike to go to Phoenix (150 miles one way). Be aware.

I use the BMW MOA Platinum for the motorcycle if I need.  I don't have an RV, but my wife does have horses that she tows.  She uses a company called US Rider.  It will tow her truck, horse trailer and make sure the horse finds a safe place to stay nearby while any repairs are being done.  The board for the horse isn't free, but and least its safe.

I use Theresa's Towing and Recovery.  I've only had to use her towing/recovery services twice for the motorcycle and once for the bicycle (blew a tube, used spare, then blew another with no more spares (you ever try to walk in bicycle shoes)), for the bicycle, it was worldwide service and I was picked up in Okinawa. 

How much does her service cost, I dunno 'zactly, but I can say it is quite expensive.  I really should shop around for a different option;) 

I can see why people want a towing plan.  Get to a phone, call a number (regardless of where you are) wait an hour or two, and you're on your way.  But really, it only pays off if your car/bike is unreliable and you don't have a cell phone.  I had AAA for years, until I realized that I had spent well over a grand on it, but only used it once for a tow that would've been about $80.  So with a modern cell phone, I can look up the local tow truck (or an uber) and call them from almost anywhere, and then just pay cash for the tow.  I figure that I'm better off spending the money on maintaining the vehicle.  

On another note, my auto insurance offers a towing program that's less than $10 for the year.  That's a more reasonable way to go, in my humble opinion.  Hell, if you're not paying attention, you might be paying for both programs already!

Towing is part of my Allstate Motorcycle Insurance. Never use it but sounds like from post above response is iffy. I’ve only been stranded one time. I was about 150 miles from home. Wife went to Uhaul, rented a trailer, and came and got me. It was on my 1150RT

Turns out it was my fault. I had replaced the quick disconnects with metal ones. I didn’t get them seated properly and one came loose. No tools on board to speak of. After that I learned to carry a good compliment of tools. Never needed them since…except Neely plug

I think elkroeger makes a good point on expense vs towing plan

I keep my annual MOA membership mainly for access to the $60 Platinum roadside service plan. Since all these roadside assistance outfits contract with innumerable towing companies across the USA for coverage it's a crapshoot what kind of service one is going to get in any one example but my one experience was good. My Honda lost the alternator and rolled to a stop while crossing the middle of the Okefenokee Swamp about 2 hours before sunset. The guy drove 45 miles from his shop, picked me up and drove me 76 miles to my house, then had a 40 mile drive home. He said if I did not have a towing plan the charge would have been about $600 but he probably would have passed on a random call - it was a holiday weekend Saturday. His compensation from BMWMOA was going to be about $400. Platinum Plan is towing up to 100 miles to a destination of my request up to four times a year, tire replacement due to Road Hazard up to $250 a tire two tires a year. It covers three bikes but they don't ask the VINs at annual renewal. Also emergency travel interruption assistance of $167 a day for three days and services includes accident or collision situations. It's pretty comprehensive and the small print is short and non-lawyerly.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Towing is part of my Allstate Motorcycle Insurance. Never use it but sounds like from post above response is iffy. I’ve only been stranded one time. I was about 150 miles from home. Wife went to Uhaul, rented a trailer, and came and got me. It was on my 1150RT

Turns out it was my fault. I had replaced the quick disconnects with metal ones. I didn’t get them seated properly and one came loose. No tools on board to speak of. After that I learned to carry a good compliment of tools. Never needed them since…except Neely plug

I think elkroeger makes a good point on expense vs towing plan

Yep, my USAA account has roadside services, cost is negligible,....why pay twice.  My daughter recently used them due to her 2014 Hyundai engine issue, cars only got 69k on it.  Haven't had to use it for the bike/s yet as I use Theresa's Towing and Recovery,....highly recommended!

When BMW roadside assistance expired with my GSA warranty in 2018, I ended up getting Allstate RV Roadhelp.  I looked at a number of plans, but liked the advertised unlimited mileage tow to an authorized dealer.  I never had to use it for my motorcycle, but I did try to use it last July, when my car suffered a flat tire on I-95 in Maryland.  My car has a temporary spare, so I wanted my tire changed (there was almost no room on the shoulder, the car was on a noticeable angle, and it was hot as hell).  I contacted Allstate, or at least I tried.  The App was essentially useless, so I ended up calling.  I could hardly hear the person who answered, and she never did find a service provider.  Recall that I'm on the side of one of the busiest interstates in the country, stopped right at a mile marker, so easy to locate.  Then I remembered that I also pay about $9 for roadside assistance through my GEICO car insurance policy.  I called them, and got an answer almost immediately.  They also quickly arranged to send a service provider to change the tire in a reasonable time.  I was left wondering what would have happened, if I were depending on Allstate to provide motorcycle towing.  I have not cancelled Allstate RV Roadhelp, and the policy renewed at the end of April.  The premium had gone up to $139.  The increase was not a crazy amount.   I just checked and confirmed that I also have GEICO's optional "roadside assistance"  coverage in my motorcycle policy.  It's $10.40/year.  It offers towing and/or onsite labour (I'd be lying if I told you I know the details of the coverage).