IGNORED

1996 1100RT Headlight Switch.

JMitchell

Hello Forum,

The yellow headlight switch is faulty.  Before I tear into it has anyone repaired the existing switch.  Is the switch alone available or is it necessary to purchase the entire cluster?  

Neither the High or low works in the normal position.  The high light does come on in the spring position.  The switch feels faulty when changing positions.

Thank you,

John

36 minutes ago, JMitchell said:

Hello Forum,

The yellow headlight switch is faulty.  Before I tear into it has anyone repaired the existing switch.  Is the switch alone available or is it necessary to purchase the entire cluster?  

Neither the High or low works in the normal position.  The high light does come on in the spring position.  The switch feels faulty when changing positions.

Thank you,

John

Evening John

Don't assume the switch is the problem just because the only thing that works is the flash to pass.

The regular hi & low beam work from a different 12v input circuit than the flash to pass.

Not always but usually if the switch is getting a proper 12v into it for the hi/low operation then you only (or first anyhow) lose either the high beam or low bean not both but that isn't gospel. 

Does your 1100 have a European on/off switch on the R/H handlebar?  If so make sure that is turned on. 

Next you need to verify that you are getting 12v into the L/H headlight switch on the white/yellow & green/blue  wires. 

Also, does your tail light work (come on)?  

If it is the headlight switch some have taken them apart to clean the contacts & re-lube. 

Probably the best  place (most reasonable price anyhow)  to buy a decent headlight switch assembly is on E-Bay. New from BMW that L/H combination switch is well over $200.00. 

I took apart the left hand grip to see if I could reduce the horn spring tension that motion triggers arthritis pain. (I was successful, BTW.) Since I'd never been into the grip before, I decided to purchase a left grip assembly on eBay to experiment. It was $25. I took some pictures of the grip opened up in this thread. You might find them helpful. I didn't break into the headlight switch but I'm pretty sure you can by doing more disassembly to the assembly than I did. 

Having opened the left hand grip assembly, I'm now sure that it doesn't fall apart like a mechanical watch when opened and I wouldn't hesitate to open it again if necessary. I've since opened up the right hand grip assembly and reduced the spring tension on the turn-signal cancel button. It's built just like the horn button. 

Best

Miguel

Thank you Dirtrider and Miguel,

Both posts very helpful!

The character of the switch prior to complete failure was the low worked fine and the hi position took some finesse to get the hi position to stay on.

Will dig into it this weekend.

JM

It may just be a matter of cleaning up it the contact with a solvent if you can get into the switch and see the contacts, I'd take a q-tip dipped alcohol or lacquer thinner to get that 25 years of grim off the copper. May not help but won't hurt. 

If you disassemble the switch, take photos so you don't get lost in the reassembly.

Best

Miguel

When I took the switch apart a small piece of plastic came out.  Not a good sign.  Temporarily soldered the low beam and the hot wire together until the new or used switch assembly comes in.

Thank you,

John

I used this stuff on my handlebar switches - all of 'em.  Works as advertised.  Just might be the world's smallest spray can, but it goes a VERY long way.  It seemed to wash the 1999 era grease that had hardened out of the way and lube and protect the contact surfaces inside the switch, no disassembly required.  Won't fix broken parts, tho.

Got it on Amazon several years back.  https://smile.amazon.com/DN5S-2N-Deoxit-Contact-Cleaner-Deoxidizer/dp/B06XP32299/ref=sr_1_4?crid=B6EICNTMIE1K&dchild=1&keywords=deoxit+dn5&qid=1622453865&sprefix=deoxit+dn5%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-4

swZO226dmOApWUu07F4XMKbWeH6J4XNPmY6c7KB4

Edited by Lowndes
URL link
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to finish the thread.  I took your advise and purchased a used switch harness on eBay for 75.00.  Worked great.  Miguel your pics on the other thread you did was a great help and the Deoxit recommended worked great on another switch that was intermittent.  

Thanks for all your help keeping the old timer running like a top.  Great motorcycle!  

JM

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, JMitchell said:

Just to finish the thread.  I took your advise and purchased a used switch harness on eBay for 75.00.  Worked great.  Miguel your pics on the other thread you did was a great help and the Deoxit recommended worked great on another switch that was intermittent.  

Thanks for all your help keeping the old timer running like a top.  Great motorcycle!  

JM

Glad it helped. That's what forums are all about. Cheers. Miguel

• Like 1