IGNORED

Bike Advice wanted please.

snerkler

Hi,

I'm considering the 2021 R1250RT and K1600 Sport and have a few questions, however before this please bear with me whilst I give you a bit of back story.

I currently have a Harley Road King but am considering changing it for a few reasons. Firstly I hardly go out on it as, living in the North of the UK weather isn't favourable very often and it's a bit of a chore keeping the Harley in tip top condition. Secondly the roads around me aren't great and the Harley suspension doesn't handle and imperfections well and crashes over bumps rather than soaking them up, which leads me on to the last reason. I have fibromyalgia and as a result of the upright feet forward riding position in combination with the bad suspension I'm getting severe lower back pain. 

I was considering a BMW GS Adventure and took on out for a test ride, and whilst I loved the bike unfortunately the handlebar/riding position caused me severe shoulder and neck pain. I think the handlebar width is partly to blame for this. I’m therefore looking at various options and styles of bikes to find one that is fun to ride (road riding in the Derbyshire countryside which has lots of twisties but bad/bumpy road surface) and also doesn’t cause me severe pain. I’m willing to put up with some discomfort as I’m not willing to give up riding. 

So onto my questions:-

1. Has anyone ridden both the BMW GS/GSA and either the RT or K1600 and can tell me if the arm position is more comfortable than the GS?

2. I'm 6'4" so would have the high seat, are there any similarly tall riders using the high seating position and can advise me how good/bad the noise and turbulence is caused by the windscreen/windshield please? I found that on the GS unbearable in terms of noise even though I wear earplugs no matter what the position of the screen. In fact I've never found a screen that hasn't caused a problem, I tried the standard and high 22" screen on my Harley and just ended up taking the screen off completely. 

3. For those that have used the high seat have you found it's adversely affected the handlebar position in relation to the rider? 

4. What adjustments can you make to make the bike more comfortable, can you buy handlebar risers and pullbacks, and can you buy footpeg lowering kits? Leg room concerns me so anything to help with that is always welcome. 

5. Lastly how agile are these bikes? I appreciate they’re no sportsbikes but how do they compare to the GSA?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Cheers, Toby

I am only 6’ but the RT is and always will be my go to bike. RDL seat and Werkes windshield (real Shelby can help you with that) is all I demand. Please go to your BMW dealer and take a long long demo on one. The 1600 is nice but too big for me. Again, ride all of them and then ride them again. Good luck and tell us what you end up choosing. 

The K1600 had a terrible riding position in my opinion. My seat was too far forward and my arms were too far back, so it was a really contorted position. The GS is ideal for me, and the RT wasn't a whole lot different; just bulkier. Mind you, both the GS and RT were 1200's, and I'm not sure how much they changed.

Greetings....I ride an RT.  I've ridden 1600's for a few days.  First with no disrespect to Harley.....they are completely different bikes.  The stock RT seats aren't comfortable for most folks.  Some like them, but more folks change them out.  There are several brands you can go with that will give you all day comfort.  My arm length is 34 inches.  For me the RT has a little bit of a reach to the bars.  There are bar extenders for about $100.  I didn't put them on, not because of the $100..but even with me stretching a bit, I use the cruise control so much that I can ride all day without being in pain.  The RT will be a couple hundred pounds lighter than your RK.  It will be significantly faster in every way.  Bikes are personal choices so what someone else likes might not be right for you.  BMW dealers will allow you to demo both.  Go ride the 1600 and the RT and go with what works for you.  At 6' 4" you might be a little cramped on seat to pegs.  You won't have the leg room of the RK and there aren't really good ways to stretch out like a Harley.

I personally like the RT and there will be many on here who prefer the 1600.  No matter what....budget for a seat upgrade.  Expect about $500 for a good one.  If you get a BMW then we can walk you through the seat options.  The RT and 1600's are great bikes if the fit you.  Fast, modern, and fun.  Good luck.

I have ridden both...... admittedly a lot more on RT's and much of it under extreme conditions. My preference is the RT. It has better suspension for the road conditions you have, and is easily adapted (pegs and bars) to your size requirements. The weight advantage should also not be discounted, it is very apparent.

My .02, YMMV

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

I have ridden both...... admittedly a lot more on RT's and much of it under extreme conditions. My preference is the RT. It has better suspension for the road conditions you have, and is easily adapted (pegs and bars) to your size requirements. The weight advantage should also not be discounted, it is very apparent.

My .02, YMMV

6 hours ago, Rinkydink said:

I am only 6’ but the RT is and always will be my go to bike. RDL seat and Werkes windshield (real Shelby can help you with that) is all I demand. Please go to your BMW dealer and take a long long demo on one. The 1600 is nice but too big for me. Again, ride all of them and then ride them again. Good luck and tell us what you end up choosing. 

6 hours ago, Sam_ said:

The K1600 had a terrible riding position in my opinion. My seat was too far forward and my arms were too far back, so it was a really contorted position. The GS is ideal for me, and the RT wasn't a whole lot different; just bulkier. Mind you, both the GS and RT were 1200's, and I'm not sure how much they changed.

4 hours ago, Skywagon said:

Greetings....I ride an RT.  I've ridden 1600's for a few days.  First with no disrespect to Harley.....they are completely different bikes.  The stock RT seats aren't comfortable for most folks.  Some like them, but more folks change them out.  There are several brands you can go with that will give you all day comfort.  My arm length is 34 inches.  For me the RT has a little bit of a reach to the bars.  There are bar extenders for about $100.  I didn't put them on, not because of the $100..but even with me stretching a bit, I use the cruise control so much that I can ride all day without being in pain.  The RT will be a couple hundred pounds lighter than your RK.  It will be significantly faster in every way.  Bikes are personal choices so what someone else likes might not be right for you.  BMW dealers will allow you to demo both.  Go ride the 1600 and the RT and go with what works for you.  At 6' 4" you might be a little cramped on seat to pegs.  You won't have the leg room of the RK and there aren't really good ways to stretch out like a Harley.

I personally like the RT and there will be many on here who prefer the 1600.  No matter what....budget for a seat upgrade.  Expect about $500 for a good one.  If you get a BMW then we can walk you through the seat options.  The RT and 1600's are great bikes if the fit you.  Fast, modern, and fun.  Good luck.

3 hours ago, 9Mary7 said:

My .02, YMMV

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I should have mentioned that I will of course test ride both. 

I appreciate that there are vast amounts of options for aftermarket parts, and despite my extreme discomfort on the GSA I did consider buying one and buying the Wunderlich bar risers that all pull back the bars for less reach, as well as buying a narrower bar but it’s still a bit of a gamble and a lot of money to lose if I can’t get it right. If I can find a bike that’s reasonably comfortable to start with and then fine tune it that’s much less of a risk for me. 

With regards to the seat, is the high seat option still uncomfortable and therefore still better off with an aftermarket and if so are there aftermarket high seat options?

realshelby

First let me say that many consider the GS riding position really comfortable. I do, yet I own an RT that I have adjusted to fit me perfectly. The pain you experience may not be all the bikes fault. Due to these being so different from a RK, your first rides may have been a little tense. How you grip the bars has everything to do with not developing back/arm pain. I don't think the GS, RT, 1600 are so different that one would guarantee no back pain over the other. 

Do NOT buy the factory high seat. Take that money and buy an aftermarket seat. Many in Europe just buy something like a Corbin, Sargent seat due to shipping back and forth to get a US built Russell Day-Long. Any of these will be better than the factory seat of any size. 

There are bar risers for RT's, footpeg lowering kits, and you can raise the seat to the "high" position too. Most seats come set in the low position. With your health issue, I would think the lighter bike would be a benefit. The RT is the lighter of the two you mentioned, and has the better aero package stock or even with an aftermarket screen. 

1 minute ago, realshelby said:

First let me say that many consider the GS riding position really comfortable. I do, yet I own an RT that I have adjusted to fit me perfectly. The pain you experience may not be all the bikes fault. Due to these being so different from a RK, your first rides may have been a little tense. How you grip the bars has everything to do with not developing back/arm pain. I don't think the GS, RT, 1600 are so different that one would guarantee no back pain over the other. 

Do NOT buy the factory high seat. Take that money and buy an aftermarket seat. Many in Europe just buy something like a Corbin, Sargent seat due to shipping back and forth to get a US built Russell Day-Long. Any of these will be better than the factory seat of any size. 

There are bar risers for RT's, footpeg lowering kits, and you can raise the seat to the "high" position too. Most seats come set in the low position. With your health issue, I would think the lighter bike would be a benefit. The RT is the lighter of the two you mentioned, and has the better aero package stock or even with an aftermarket screen. 

Thanks, appreciate the advice. I totally agree that a new bike will be foreign and not everything will be down to the bike/my condition per se, however I did have the 2010 R1200GSA and got rid of it due to the same issue. At the time I was under investigation for nerve damage and just put it down to this, but having ridden the GSA again last week it brought back the exact pain again and I don't want to have to go through that again, especially considering it affected my work. 

Thanks for the advice regarding the seat, I do like the look of the Corbins, especially as you can get a backrest. 

24 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

I had mid back and shoulder pain with the bar setup on the GS until I got these Barbacks. Problem solved. Also, your long legs will love these Highway Pegs by Adventure Designs.  For off the shelf seating, check out Sargent Cycle Products also. 

Those barbacks look similar to the Wunderlich ones I’ve been looking at. It’s still a gamble though. It wouldn’t be so bad if it just caused me normal aches and pains but 3 days on and I’m still struggling with my arm and shoulder. 

I’d love to take a punt but if I can’t solve the issue then I’d end up with a bike I can’t ride. Despite my Harley causing me low back pain I can at least take the edge off with painkillers but the shoulder and arm pain is off the scale and causes a loss of dexterity. 

• Like 1
MichiganBob

I recently turned 300,000 BMW riding miles, many of them on RT's and before then R75/5. I like the horizontal twin, it's grunt, a little vibration to say hello, the inertia twist. Of course there are a lot of fine rides out there, something for everyone. For me, the RT is perfect. It's light and nimble enough to have some fun on back roads and twisties yet I can do consecutive 500 mile rides with little discomfort. It can be tweaked to fit. I am now on a RDL saddle, first one, and I like it. For some reason, the stock saddle tilts me forward and crushes my privates. The RDL fixed that and will surely help in monkey butt. Aftermarket windshield gives just the right protection on in town and on the highway. RT is more than 150 pounds lighter than the 1600. Protection and luggage capacity is important to me was I am mainly a long trip guy. Might be different for you in the UK as to what you need. Good luck.

MichiganBob

Personal opinions, but true... (for me) (Your actual mileage may vary)

I was on Harleys for years, then tried BMW... never went back and never missed H-D at all.

It's a different feel, different approach to quality, different technology, different seating position, different weight on hands feet and butt, different sound, etc... 

As far as seating, positions, postures, handlebar heights, foot peg reach and positions go... these can be changed pretty easily to match your style and feel.

My Harleys always felt as if I was sitting on my butt in a chair. My BMW's all felt like I was part of the machine, not ON the machine... 

The Harleys carried a different center of gravity. They seemed down-low... not a bad thing but it was there. 

BMW's seemed livelier, Center of gravity a bit higher, Energy used to turn, lean etc. is subtly different.

Give it a good test ride and take your time on different roads, different traffic conditions etc... 

You will make a good decision...

1 hour ago, hopz said:

Personal opinions, but true... (for me) (Your actual mileage may vary)

I was on Harleys for years, then tried BMW... never went back and never missed H-D at all.

It's a different feel, different approach to quality, different technology, different seating position, different weight on hands feet and butt, different sound, etc... 

As far as seating, positions, postures, handlebar heights, foot peg reach and positions go... these can be changed pretty easily to match your style and feel.

My Harleys always felt as if I was sitting on my butt in a chair. My BMW's all felt like I was part of the machine, not ON the machine... 

The Harleys carried a different center of gravity. They seemed down-low... not a bad thing but it was there. 

BMW's seemed livelier, Center of gravity a bit higher, Energy used to turn, lean etc. is subtly different.

Give it a good test ride and take your time on different roads, different traffic conditions etc... 

You will make a good decision...

I like the grunt and the sound of Harleys and they’re great on the right kinds of road, but I don’t think the Derbyshire country roads are such roads. BMWs certainly handle better and soak the bumps up much better, well the GS and GSA do as they’re the only one’s I’ve owned and ridden to date. 

I know things can be changed but I want a reasonable place to start from. 

1 hour ago, MichiganBob said:

I recently turned 300,000 BMW riding miles, many of them on RT's and before then R75/5. I like the horizontal twin, it's grunt, a little vibration to say hello, the inertia twist. Of course there are a lot of fine rides out there, something for everyone. For me, the RT is perfect. It's light and nimble enough to have some fun on back roads and twisties yet I can do consecutive 500 mile rides with little discomfort. It can be tweaked to fit. I am now on a RDL saddle, first one, and I like it. For some reason, the stock saddle tilts me forward and crushes my privates. The RDL fixed that and will surely help in monkey butt. Aftermarket windshield gives just the right protection on in town and on the highway. RT is more than 150 pounds lighter than the 1600. Protection and luggage capacity is important to me was I am mainly a long trip guy. Might be different for you in the UK as to what you need. Good luck.

MichiganBob

Thanks, my days of long trips are long gone, a couple of hours is pretty much all I can manage these days. I need some form of luggage as I will commute on the bike from time to time. 

I ride an old RoadKing and an Ultra, still love them, but spent 10 days on an RT and enjoyed the hell out of it, a totally different animal. With real working suspension! It is on my short list of future bikes, and the reason I ended up on this site. I have test ridden a 1600 and did not find it as user friendly as the RT, especially the extra weight. I'm 5'6", so seat height was an issue that you won't have, the RT was manageable due to its lighter weight by almost 200 pounds compared to the RoadKing, and over 300 pounds compared to the Ultra.  Low seats on the HDs are the reason I can manage them. Plus, the 1600 is made to chew up interstate miles, something you won't really be dealing with, the RT more nimble on the roads you're on.

No GS for me, style has to come into play just a little bit, and I just cannot warm up to the utility tool look of the GS. Plus I like the fairing of the RT for weather management.

I will always be a Harley rider, my first true love growing up in a Harley and chopper dominated town, but I'm not against variety of machines.

Definitely more test rides, because you can!

Good luck in however it turns out.

8 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

I ride an old RoadKing and an Ultra, still love them, but spent 10 days on an RT and enjoyed the hell out of it, a totally different animal. With real working suspension! It is on my short list of future bikes, and the reason I ended up on this site. I have test ridden a 1600 and did not find it as user friendly as the RT, especially the extra weight. I'm 5'6", so seat height was an issue that you won't have, the RT was manageable due to its lighter weight by almost 200 pounds compared to the RoadKing, and over 300 pounds compared to the Ultra.  Low seats on the HDs are the reason I can manage them. Plus, the 1600 is made to chew up interstate miles, something you won't really be dealing with, the RT more nimble on the roads you're on.

No GS for me, style has to come into play just a little bit, and I just cannot warm up to the utility tool look of the GS. Plus I like the fairing of the RT for weather management.

I will always be a Harley rider, my first true love growing up in a Harley and chopper dominated town, but I'm not against variety of machines.

Definitely more test rides, because you can!

Good luck in however it turns out.

I love the utility look, and even like the marmite Harley Pan America. An adventure bike would be my first choice if I could find one that didn’t cause me pain. 

The RT is definitely my preferred option over the K1600. I’ve only found one set of peg lowerers but some complain that they move the pegs out a touch. I don’t think that’ll matter to me and I think you can get adapters to make the gear shifter larger to stick out more. It’s a shame you can’t fit cruising pegs. 

The RT I rode had engine guards, I would think some "hiway" pegs would be available for those. While the mid controls offer good balance and operation, they did cramp my knees, I would stretch out and lay my legs on the guards.

6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

The RT I rode had engine guards, I would think some "hiway" pegs would be available for those. While the mid controls offer good balance and operation, they did cramp my knees, I would stretch out and lay my legs on the guards.

I'll look into it to see if there are such things

Give the K1600 Grand American a look. Lots of folks have moved from HDs to this model. Ergonomics are similar to a Harleys, and from the type of riding you have planned it might be just what you're looking for. Lots of info at k1600forum.com. 

Good info on the Grand American, I forgot about that model.

Looks like some more test rides this summer.

8 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Good info on the Grand American, I forgot about that model.

Looks like some more test rides this summer.

10 hours ago, MikeB60 said:

Give the K1600 Grand American a look. Lots of folks have moved from HDs to this model. Ergonomics are similar to a Harleys, and from the type of riding you have planned it might be just what you're looking for. Lots of info at k1600forum.com. 

I've looked at that too, I assume this is the same as the Bagger just with a top box?

realshelby

Lowering kit for the footpegs? Knight Design has a set that simply replace the factory peg. Do not move them out. I prefer them over other designs. 

5 minutes ago, realshelby said:

Lowering kit for the footpegs? Knight Design has a set that simply replace the factory peg. Do not move them out. I prefer them over other designs. 

Thanks, I’ve not heard of them so will look into it :18:

5 hours ago, snerkler said:

I've looked at that too, I assume this is the same as the Bagger just with a top box?

If I remember right, it has more forward footboards and controls, rather than pegs, a different handlebar, slightly lower seat, and a few other tweaks to make it more American cruiser style without the bad parts.

35 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

If I remember right, it has more forward footboards and controls, rather than pegs, a different handlebar, slightly lower seat, and a few other tweaks to make it more American cruiser style without the bad parts.

Ok thanks. 

I ride an RT. I first had an R 1100 and found the seating position perfect for me. The RT is very close if not the same. The one major thing I would change on any R bike is moving to a Russell Day Long Saddle (RDL). Without it, I could only ride for about 1/2 hour and have to take a break. With an RDL, I have ridden all day, gotten off the bike, and had no problems either with my butt - back - or legs.

39 minutes ago, Sonor said:

I ride an RT. I first had an R 1100 and found the seating position perfect for me. The RT is very close if not the same. The one major thing I would change on any R bike is moving to a Russell Day Long Saddle (RDL). Without it, I could only ride for about 1/2 hour and have to take a break. With an RDL, I have ridden all day, gotten off the bike, and had no problems either with my butt - back - or legs.

I’d definitely swap the seat :18:

Hello snerkler,  I certainly agree with Sonor about the Russell (RDL) seat for a BMWRT it just makes all the difference.  I have an older R1100RSL with an RDL on it and it is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned that being mostly all BMW flat twins beginning in '76.  I've never owned or even ridden an HD and doubt I ever will.  I have a slightly herniated disc in my lower lumbar and just looking at an HD makes my lower back ache.  I recently installed a ZTechnik windshield on the RS and really like what it does for the ride.  I can stay in the saddle non-stop between gas stops no problem and I'm 77 years old. 

I kind of like the looks of the new R1250RS and RT but I'm not motivated.  I do all my own maintenance and I'm a bit put off by some of the high tech one finds on the newer BMWs and BMW bikes of late can be a bit prone to somewhat expensive repairs especially if out of warranty.  I don't like the idea of being tied to a dealer for maintenance or having to invest in special tools to do some maintenance procedures and it's not like BMW dealers are in abundance especially where I live that being Oregon.  

11 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Hello snerkler,  I certainly agree with Sonor about the Russell (RDL) seat for a BMWRT it just makes all the difference.  I have an older R1100RSL with an RDL on it and it is the most comfortable bike I've ever owned that being mostly all BMW flat twins beginning in '76.  I've never owned or even ridden an HD and doubt I ever will.  I have a slightly herniated disc in my lower lumbar and just looking at an HD makes my lower back ache.  I recently installed a ZTechnik windshield on the RS and really like what it does for the ride.  I can stay in the saddle non-stop between gas stops no problem and I'm 77 years old. 

I kind of like the looks of the new R1250RS and RT but I'm not motivated.  I do all my own maintenance and I'm a bit put off by some of the high tech one finds on the newer BMWs and BMW bikes of late can be a bit prone to somewhat expensive repairs especially if out of warranty.  I don't like the idea of being tied to a dealer for maintenance or having to invest in special tools to do some maintenance procedures and it's not like BMW dealers are in abundance especially where I live that being Oregon.  

Thanks, the RDL seem to be getting a lot of love, I'll definitely look into them. Seats don't worry too much though as I know you can get comfortable seats, it's the leg room that is the potential issue, but I'll find out on Wednesday :)

A couple of pix.  The seat looks huge on the RS and somewhat not too pretty but it is comfortable.  Not bad for being 28 years old.:)

CIMG1055.JPG

CIMG1056.JPG

CIMG1057.JPG

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, JamesW said:

A couple of pix.  The seat looks huge on the RS and somewhat not too pretty but it is comfortable.  Not bad for being 28 years old.:)

CIMG1055.JPG

CIMG1056.JPG

CIMG1057.JPG

Looks very comfortable. I assume this raised the seat somewhat?

1 hour ago, snerkler said:

Looks very comfortable. I assume this raised the seat somewhat?

Yeah, it did raise it a touch.  I used to keep the seat in the high position now the middle setting.  I have a 30" inseam.  I like the leaned forward position for my back and I also have a set of raised (1") barbacks.  Still had a slight strain on my wrists which is canceled by the windshield which puts my full face helmet in the air stream which relieves the wrist pain and I get almost no helmet buffeting.  I've tried 3 different windshields on this bike before the ZTechniks which is actually designed for a later R1150RS but works great on the 1100 with no shaking.  This is going to be my last motorcycle for sure.  Closing in on 80 years and don't plan to ride much beyond that.  That's if I have good sense.  lol..lol.. which some say is debatable..more lol..

If you look close you can see a Russell Sport Saddle on my other bike which is a '10 FJR.  I sold my '04 R1150RT when I found the FJR and I must admit to missing the 1150 a bit which also had an RDL.  The sport saddle saves about $200 over the RDL and while it beats the OEM seat it isn't quite as comfortable as an RDL, imo.  I've given up trying to make the FJR equal BMW for ride comfort just not going to happen for me and I've given thought to selling it but not there yet.  Its got great snort:)

32 minutes ago, JamesW said:

Yeah, it did raise it a touch.  I used to keep the seat in the high position now the middle setting.  I have a 30" inseam.  I like the leaned forward position for my back and I also have a set of raised (1") barbacks.  Still had a slight strain on my wrists which is canceled by the windshield which puts my full face helmet in the air stream which relieves the wrist pain and I get almost no helmet buffeting.  I've tried 3 different windshields on this bike before the ZTechniks which is actually designed for a later R1150RS but works great on the 1100 with no shaking.  This is going to be my last motorcycle for sure.  Closing in on 80 years and don't plan to ride much beyond that.  That's if I have good sense.  lol..lol.. which some say is debatable..more lol..

If you look close you can see a Russell Sport Saddle on my other bike which is a '10 FJR.  I sold my '04 R1150RT when I found the FJR and I must admit to missing the 1150 a bit which also had an RDL.  The sport saddle saves about $200 over the RDL and while it beats the OEM seat it isn't quite as comfortable as an RDL, imo.  I've given up trying to make the FJR equal BMW for ride comfort just not going to happen for me and I've given thought to selling it but not there yet.  Its got great snort:)

Interesting info, thanks. I think any kind of forward lean is a bad thing for me. 

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, axabmw said:

Try this site. It might help you work ouyt what you need. https://cycle-ergo.com/

Thanks, I actually use that site a lot although recently I’m less convinced by it as the arm position it shows for my current bike and what my arm position is in real life are quite different.