IGNORED

2021 Honda CRF300L & CRF300L Rally First Ride Review

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

2021 Honda CRF300L Rally Review Intro

Honda's new CRF300L and Rally - Leaner, Stronger & Looking Good

Great bikes tend to be preceded by legacy, and that’s the case with Honda, where riders loved the XR250L and CRF230L, forerunners of the CRF250L. The 2012 CRF250L combined the proven CBR250R single with an off-road frame and suspension for a dual-sport with pleasant road manners, a generous maintenance schedule, and stalwart reliability. For 2017 the 250L got a little bump in power and the Rally model joined the party with a new look, larger fuel tank, wind protection, skid plate, and other bonus features. Riders were left a little hungry, however, for the displacement and power bump the CBR, CB, and Rebel models saw.

Finally for 2021 the displacement bump came, and we got the CRF300L and CRF300L Rally. Both models got a well-deserved reworking and Honda didn’t go the easy way out with just a motor swap and “bold new graphics.” The new models see revisions throughout, with a focus on weight savings and performance. Additionally, model-specific changes based on rider feedback aim to satisfy owners of the 300L off road and give Rally owners the versatility to tackle any adventure while adding only $50 to the price tags. Honda kindly flew me out to the Copper Horse Riding Ranch in beautiful Agua Dulce, California, to swing a leg over the pair.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review FB

• Drivetrain and Engine Improvements

Starting with the heart of the bikes, Honda stroked out the thumper from 249cc to 286cc, resulting in a welcome increase in power and torque that’s delivered exactly where you need it in the low and mid RPM ranges thanks to a new cam profile. Intake and exhaust revisions improve throttle response and help the engine breathe a little better while reducing noise and vibration.

Working their way through the drivetrain, Honda took another pass at the six-speed transmission, optimizing first through fifth with closer spacing and stretching out sixth for better highway cruising. Last, but certainly not least, a new assist/slipper clutch is a welcome addition, with a lighter pull on the lever and less worry of detrimental traction loss on aggressive downshifts.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review drivetrain

• Suspension and Reduced Weight

Weight has been a long-time gripe of the 250L and Rally models’ detractors. Honda addressed this by dropping 11 pounds from the 300L and nine from the Rally, bringing the non-ABS versions to 309 and 333 lb., respectively. The chassis and swingarm are both lighter, with reduced rigidity for better maneuverability and feel. The weight loss is spread out over the entire bike wherever Honda could find fat to trim, including fenders, body work, hardware, a new aluminum lower triple clamp, and license plate bracket.

Suspension hardware and wheel travel for the pair are the same on paper: 43mm Showa forks with 10.2 inches up front and single Pro-Link shocks with 10.4 inches at the back. But the Rally is sprung slightly heavier to accommodate the greater weight of the bike and expected luggage. Both bikes also see revised tuning and rear linkage.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review Shock

• Electronics

Most adventure bikes and even some dual-sports are seeing an increasing amount of tech creeping in. Tech is great but unfortunately jacks the price, complicates maintenance, and can intimidate riders who just want to get on and ride. The CRF300L and Rally remain blissfully simple; the only available rider aid is optional ABS, and a new dash with more info that lets you know all you need without overwhelming. From my previous experience owning a CB500X with the same dash as the prior 250L models, the gear indicator and refined layout are both welcome changes. I found the new dash clear and legible in sunlight from all angles, with no worries about the screen washing out when the sun is at your back.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review Tech

• Riding Honda's CRF300L Rally

I started the day on the CRF300L Rally and appreciated the wind protection in the morning. A tidy windscreen and handguards do just enough to keep the cool air at bay. The windscreen is just tall enough to direct wind and most bugs over my head without helmet buffeting.

In the twisty canyon roads, the Rally dives right into corners and confidently holds a line. Even with the slightly heavier springs, the suspension is still plenty compliant to soak up road imperfections and keep rubber firmly on the road. Adding to the comfort are a few niceties the Rally sports over its leaner counterpart: a wider seat with rubber cushions, handlebars with rubber mountings and end weights, and footpeg rubber inserts. Everything adds up to a comfortable place to sit on long or extended rides.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review Rally

When on long stretches of pavement, know that the revised sixth gear allows for cruising at 65 while keeping the RPMs around 6,500. It doesn’t feel like the engine is working too terribly hard cruising at that speed, but that changes pretty quickly as you go faster. Speeds of 70+ are possible but not the most comfortable.

After hitting a few twisties our guides took us through some fire roads in the Angeles National Forest. This was my first time riding out west and experiencing devilishly slippery decomposed granite on a borrowed bike, which was quite an experience. However, the linear torque and power delivery never surprised me and helped keep things under control. I did notice the Rally feels a little heavier off road than it does on road, but with some more time on the bike I could get comfortable for sure. 

After a mix of fire roads and more winding roads, we switched to the CRF300L for the afternoon.

• Ripping on Honda's CRF300L

From the moment I threw a leg over the 300L, I knew it would be my personal favorite between the two. While Honda kept the front of both bikes’ seats thin, the smaller tank, lack of screen and fairings, and overall narrower feel make the 300L feel more than 24 lb. lighter than the Rally.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review Riping

Due to the smaller tank, I sat more forward on the 300L than the Rally. On asphalt the additional forward weight helped turn-in feel sharper and direction changes feel quicker. I found myself going more quickly in the corners with greater confidence. I did not miss the additional comfort features of the Rally; there was more wind and a little more vibration, but neither bothered me.

Our group pretty quickly found dirt again and aimed for more advanced terrain than we saw on the Rally. Everything we tackled was made easier by the slimmer bike being able to move more freely under me. As the afternoon went on, it continued to grow on me more as I became accustomed to the terrain. I did notice the lighter spring rate let the suspension bottom out in a few places, and would likely consider upgrades if one of these followed me home. Slimmer riders and new riders may notice this less, but suspension tuning to match the rider is a good idea on any bike, the CRF300L is no exception.

Once again the engine and transmission improvements were critical to enjoying the ride off road. The drivetrain delivers plenty of power and torque linearly and smoothly for trail riding. I rarely needed first gear, as second generally had plenty of power. Some of the Honda crew leading the ride remarked the older 250Ls had required quite a bit more gear shifting on terrain like this.

Honda CRF300L Rally Review Twisty

By the end of the ride, I did find one niggle with the CRF300L; the radiator fan sent hot air directly onto my inner thigh, making it little uncomfortable. Realistically, most bikes have to push hot air somewhere and with as little body work as the 300L has, it’s no surprise it ends up on the rider.

Are the new 300's a worthy upgrade to the previous 250 models? Overall, Honda took a couple of bikes that were already well regarded and did what riders have been asking for. The CRF300L and CRF300L Rally get more power, more capability, less weight, and cost just about the same as before. It certainly helps that they look dang good too and are arguably the best looking in this size and price category. The Rally takes a few styling cues from Hondas Dakar-winning rally bikes, and the 300L borrows graphics from their dirt bikes. Manufacturers which don't have recent rally racing experience will find it hard to offer rally styling and features on their consumer line-ups. This really helps set the Hondas apart from other competition like Kawasaki's new KLX300's

Any rider, new or experienced, can have fun on this pair. Whether you’re looking for a lightweight everyday commuter/tourer or dipping a toe into trail riding and dual-sporting, one or another will handle what you’re asking and put a smile on your face.

For more info please visit: Powersports.Honda.com

MSRP: CRF300L $5,249 / ABS $5,549 – CRF300L Rally $5,999 / ABS $6,299

PROS:

• Reduced weight and improved performance on and off road
  • Priced right to entice new riders or to add a lightweight dual-sport to the garage
  • Models optimized for different uses

CONS:

• Radiator fan can feel a bit toasty

2021 HONDA CRF300L Rally Specs and Model Comparison

Model CRF300L Rally ABS    CRF 300L Rally    CRF300L ABS    CRF300L
Engine Type 286cc liquid-cooled, 25º single-cylinder four-stroke
Valve Train DOHC; four valves
Bore x Stroke  76.0 mm x 63.0 mm
Compression Ratio 10:7:1
Induction PGM-FI fuel injection w/ 38 mm throttle body
Ignition Full transistorized ignition
Starter Electric
Transmission 6-speed manual
 Clutch Multiplate wet
 Final Drive 14T/40T; #520 O-ring-sealed chain
 Front Suspension 43 mm telescopic inverted fork; 10.2 in. travel
 Rear Suspension Pro-Link® system with single shock; 10.2 in. travel
 Front Brake Single two-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 256 mm disc; ABS Single two-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 256 mm disc Single two-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 256 mm disc; ABS Single two-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 256 mm disc
 Rear Brake Single one-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 220 mm disc; ABS Single one-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 220 mm disc Single one-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 220 mm disc; ABS Single one-piston hydraulic caliper w/ 220 mm disc
Front Tire 80/100-21
Rear Tire 120/80-18
Measurements:  
Rake(Caster Angle) 27º 30′
Trail 109 mm
Length 87.8 in
Width 36.2 in 32.2 in
Height 55.9 in 47.3 in
Ground Clearance 10.9 in 11.2 in
Seat Height 35.2 in 34.7 in
Wheelbase 57.2 in
Fuel Capacity 3.4 gal. (incl. 0.6 gal. Reserve) 2.1 gal. (incl. 0.5 gal. Reserve)
Color Red
Curb Weight 337 lb. 333 lb. 311 lb. 309 lb.
MSRP $6,299 $5,999 $5,549 $5,249

-gLsIrQAqNQ

View the full article