IGNORED

Front Wheel Bearing Seals

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

2009 R1200RT

Do front wheel bearing seals keep outside water from touching wheel bearings, inside axle grease from coming out on the axle spacers, or both?

14 minutes ago, The Rocketman said:

2009 R1200RT

Do front wheel bearing seals keep outside water from touching wheel bearings, inside axle grease from coming out on the axle spacers, or both?

Afternoon  The Rocketman

The bearing themselves are sealed bearings, but there is an extra outer seal on each side to keep water & dirt out.

The Rocketman

So, if I see black grime just on the spacers between the outer seals and the insides of the lower forks, should I replace the bearings, seals, both or neither, and just clean it and keep riding?

4 minutes ago, The Rocketman said:

So, if I see black grime just on the spacers between the outer seals and the insides of the lower forks, should I replace the bearings, seals, both or neither, and just clean it and keep riding?

Evening The Rocketman

As long as the bearings spin smoothly without a notchy feeling then that black grime is usually just a little grease residue that gets out between the spacers & the outer seal. 

Look closely at the spacers to see if the seal lips have etched a ring in the spacer, if so then if the spacers are symmetrical you can just flip them around.  

11 minutes ago, The Rocketman said:

Will do. Thanks again.

Evening The Rocketman

If you clean those outer seals put a little grease on the seal lips, or wipe little grease on the spacers where they contact the seals, as that helps the seals last a LOT longer.