IGNORED

Heated seat activation?

ducati2

My newly acquired 2015 R1200RTW did not come with the heated seat, however I have purchased a heated seat and the proper bmw cable to hook it up.  My dealer was pretty clueless, but thought the bike would recognize the new accessory and show the new adjustable option on my menu.  It did not.  
Anyone know how to get the seat recognized?   Or perhaps there is a missing fuse? I was assuming it ran off of the heated handgrip fuse, wherever that is...  I have not even found the fuse box yet!

any thoughts appreciated!

My guess that it would need to be programmed by BMW.   When you say "my dealer," does that mean they are a BMW dealer or another brand that also sells bikes that happen to be BMW?  IF they are a true BMW dealer, then they should have been able to answer that for you.  Or wait for more knowledgeable folks to post here.

The menu for heating is found via the wonder wheel, which basically scrolls through the menu of the bike's "computer."   That sub-menu should be found immediately after the heated grips sub-menu.

A BMW dealer will have to "tell" the bike that it now has a heated seat. It will then give you the sub menu to control said seat....computer speak stuff.

realshelby

Activating the heated seat.....may be accessible using a GS911 tool. That would save a trip to a dealer if you can find someone willing to use their GS911 to help.

13 hours ago, ducati2 said:

My newly acquired 2015 R1200RTW did not come with the heated seat, however I have purchased a heated seat and the proper bmw cable to hook it up.  My dealer was pretty clueless, but thought the bike would recognize the new accessory and show the new adjustable option on my menu.  It did not.  
Anyone know how to get the seat recognized?   Or perhaps there is a missing fuse? I was assuming it ran off of the heated handgrip fuse, wherever that is...  I have not even found the fuse box yet!

any thoughts appreciated!

Morning   ducati2

You need to either have your BMW dealer so some more research, or find a different dealer that has done this before. Or at least a different dealer that will put a little effort into helping you. 

In most cases BMW doesn't GIVE you anything for free, most add-on functions, or added BMW content, needs to be bought as a  retrofit "kit". Those kits come with a specific install disk that allows that particular accessory to be programmed into only one specific BMW motorcycle  (can't be used for multiple installs).

This could be good news or bad news as I can't find a specific heated seat kit like other add-on wired-in accessories. 

This could mean that they already come heated-seat prepped so just a dealer computer turn-on is needed. Or that there is no function or disk to allow adding a factory heated seat. 

BMW does offer some retro-fit instructions for different accessories but again I can't seem to find anything on adding heated seats.    

19 minutes ago, dirtrider said:

they already come heated-seat prepped so just a dealer computer turn-on is needed

This has been my experience.....

The heated seat is option 518 on my 14R1200RT, not sure that's helps.  When I added on the optional LED driving lights the bike was per-wired for it, but required the dealer to enable the lights.  It was just an easy computer flash of some kind no CD/DVD was used.  I assume the same would be required to activate the heated seat. 

awesome input folks!   I called a different dealer and the guy knew all about it.   He said it is a quick in/out and did not need to even make an appointment!