IGNORED

Gunnison Routes Teaser

steveknapp

steveknapp

Looking at the maps, the roads, finding some interesting routes, talking to people about places to go...it's all driving me crazy.

I thought I'd share a little. smile.gif

684425-GunnisonPreview.jpg

684425-GunnisonPreview.jpg.9e27e8ab95f962ec5cea2d1a3cfbdaad.jpg

Hmmm...

Didn't I tell you that we have moved the 2006 UnRally to Iowa?

Sorry...

wink.gif

bRING iT, bIG dADDY-O

Paul Mihalka
Hmmm...

Didn't I tell you that we have moved the 2006 UnRally to Iowa?

Sorry...

wink.gif

May be next year? If BMWMOA can do it in Lima.... smirk.gif

Oh wow, so i go to MS Strips & Treets to bring them up in a big size and theMS maps don't even have the same names of towns except durango and telluride...

so i was going down to the small scale to pick a straight route out of there, and find i had myself routed over the scofield pass... not likely i guess and it was gonna save some mileage too

if these routes you've shown are paved, we are gonna have ball... the s has been know to tackle gravel as well

thumbsup.gif

if these routes you've shown are paved

Oh, now you guys want paved roads...

Jeez...

Picky, picky picky...

grin.gif

steveknapp

The mapping programs don't seem to care as much if you're going over "worlds most dangerous Jeep trail" do they. ;)

The roads are all on S&T but you are correct, the towns are a bit different in that zoom view. When final mapsource, S&T2005, and PDFs of the S&T routes will be provided.

All the roads with the exceptions of the GS routes will be paved to the best of our knowledge.

Decisions,Decisions tongue.gif

Ride the RT and stay on pavement......trailer the F650 and ride the trails. confused.gif

Decisions,Decisions tongue.gif

Ride the RT and stay on pavement......trailer the F650 and ride the trails. confused.gif

Is your trailer a two-rail trailer? wink.gifthumbsup.gif

Schofield Pass - The Most Dangerous Jeep Trail in Colorado?

"So, the infamous Schofield Pass. Stunningly beautiful. An exciting jeep trail. A dangerous one? Not really."

Sounds like a GS route to me...

DavidEBSmith

Ride the RT and stay on pavement......trailer the F650 and ride the trails.

Is your trailer a two-rail trailer?

Doggone you, you just gave me an interesting idea...

That's not funny, Ken. I just rode to Grand Forks, NoDak and back to see my son at college. From Belle Fourche, South Dakota (northern edge of the Black Hills) to Grand Forks it's 300 miles due north, then 310 miles due East. And back. tongue.gif

69761166-M.jpg

I've heard Kansas is even flatter. Look what all that straight up did to my tire! Catching the glint of steel belts in the morning sun before your first cup of Joe is not a pleasant experience.

69761733-L.jpg

Let's keep the UnRally in Twisty Country so I can use up all the rubber on my tires, not just the center strip!

I just love how every single road on the original map is a great motorcycling road! thumbsup.gif I think I've ridden most of them, my favorite asphalt is still the North Rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, brand new asphalt two years ago for the entire distance.........

Doug (aka DouglasR grin.gif)

Paul Mihalka
I was thinking Kansas next year. Heck, I've even got the first route done:

69781337-M.jpg

Hey Ken, you just mapped my favorite route around Kansas City. I'll do it again on my way to Gunnison. I come on rt.50 from the east, take I-35/rt.50 South for a short piece to rt.56 west. Stay on rt.56/50 past Great Bend and pick up rt.156 to Garden City (avoid Dodge City!). From Garden City a straight shot on rt.50 to Gunnison. No traffic, no flashing blue lights except in the on-stop-light towns (no guarantee). Not many twisties (none) but a nice ride.
aTennesseebmw22

Talk about TEASERS !

Did anyone see the article in this months Rider magazine? " Riding through Autumn Splendor, fall leaves and mountain roads in Colorado's High Country" pg 48. Of course there won't be many "fall" leaves in June but it is a great article with some pictures of some of the passes right around Gunnison. The Million dollar Hwy, and Red Mountain Pass sound awsome. Take a look. Cya in Gunnison. David.

the S doesn't really care to much but i really prefer when hangin the knee out going around corners not to encounter gravel the size of apples an oranges.. buggers up the line and hurt when you clip them...

if you listen to our canadian neighbours talk about saskatchewan highways, you'd get the impression that we haven't discovered pavement yet... yes our roads are bad and they have reclassified some back from pavement to gravel so in a sense riding on nice pavement is a treat... regardless I'm in and looking forward to a great time...

thumbsup.gif

talk about Saskatchewan highways, you'd get the impression that we haven't discovered pavement yet...
Well Manitoba doesn't win any awards either I'll tell you! My back never felt so beat up after a day across Hwy 16 there a couple of years ago!

we ride a bit slower but us it to practice high speed cornering by dodging potholes... the pavement really improves when you cross into alberta., the wind also dies down and the grass turns green...clap.gif

I did Kebler Pass on th RT a couple of years ago and it was casual, mag-chloride so not even any dust.

35739876-M.jpg

I'm riding my GS to the Un this year so I can try some "real" dirt roads! Bring it on!

Doug

Archived