IGNORED

Accessory Plug Connector

Shelterwoods

Shelterwoods

I would like to tap into the connection to the Accessory Plug connector under the seat of my R1250RS. Is there a connector available that can go between the plug from the wiring loom and the socket on the back of the accessory plug that I could use as a "Tee", so to speak? I would like to wire in a USB outlet, and would like to use the accessory connection as this would shut off the power to the USB transformer when the bike is off. This would keep me from having to solder or using some mechanical means.

Del

I have used positap as wbw6cos listed above. I like them. I use some in an application that gets dunked in saltwater quite often and it has held up well and

also used them for aux lights on my bike

Shelterwoods,

You could have a two port USB QC3.0 with an ON/OFF switch on it and a Volt meter built in for $16 here:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RYJT1P8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just installed one of these on my 'brick, wired directly to the battery,  EZPZ.

If you aren't familiar with the QC3.0 (Quick Charge) and how it works, you can google it.  It works VERY well.  Before my cell phone battery would gradually die while running Waze and plugged in to a standard USB.

• 3 weeks later...
Bill_Walker

I don't think just wiring into the existing connection works on CANbus bikes the way it did on the older ones.  You may experience some unexpected behavior.

Shelterwoods

Bill:

I'm thinking of using the Posi-Lock Posi-Taps that wbw6cos recommended, and tapping into the wires that go into the back of the Accessory Plug. What problems do you anticipate? I like the idea of using the wiring to the plug as the Canbus system shuts off the Accessory Plug after a certain length of time, preventing discharging the battery if I leave something on.

Del

16 hours ago, Shelterwoods said:

Bill:

I'm thinking of using the Posi-Lock Posi-Taps that wbw6cos recommended, and tapping into the wires that go into the back of the Accessory Plug. What problems do you anticipate? I like the idea of using the wiring to the plug as the Canbus system shuts off the Accessory Plug after a certain length of time, preventing discharging the battery if I leave something on.

Afternoon  Shelterwoods

Just keep in mind those Posi-Taps are not water or moisture proof (not sealed)  so eventually moisture can wick into the wire strands & cause corrosion & poor connections. 

Unless your under seat area sees salty road water spray from the rear tire, or you have a water softener & spray that softened water in with enough force to get under the seat then it usually takes a number of years for problems to show up. But I have repaired a number of motorcycle electrical issues over the years due to riders installing electrical things with un-sealed connection devices.

Personally, I don't, & won't use those things on vehicles as I take the little extra time to make secure, soldered, sealed, moisture proof connections.   

• Thanks 1
Old Fettler

I agree with dirtrider and try to avoid using Scotchlock type connectors wherever possible. However I have added an extra socket to the front of my R1200ST using exactly the sort of non-invasive "T" connector Shelterwoods was asking about. Available on eBay from a guy under the name of Boris in Bulgaria, here is the eBay link https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254540154126?hash=item3b43c6850e:g:tY8AAOSwRERebFRW and it looks like he will deliver worldwide (I am in the UK). He has a number of other useful connectors available as well.

Bill_Walker
On 6/4/2021 at 4:47 PM, Shelterwoods said:

Bill:

Del

The system will also shut off the accessory plug if it sees it drawing too much current, and it doesn't allow for all that much.  I tried powering my Autocom, GPS and (I think. It's been years) an iPod from an accessory plug on a CANbus GS I borrowed, and everything would run for about 10 minutes and then shut off.

17 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

The system will also shut off the accessory plug if it sees it drawing too much current, and it doesn't allow for all that much.  I tried powering my Autocom, GPS and (I think. It's been years) an iPod from an accessory plug on a CANbus GS I borrowed, and everything would run for about 10 minutes and then shut off.

Morning Bill 

Yes, the early hexheads were only 5 amp  (that was 5 amps for both front & rear together), the later 1200 bikes were 10 amps (again 10 amps for both front & rear combined). 

• Like 1