IGNORED

Need Help Electrical Issue with 16 RT

Poco183

I need some help solving an electrical/CANBUS issue with my  16 RT. It is outfitted with a complete set of Cyclops LED lights.  

Last weekend I was riding in the upper northeast when I receive a warning on my instrument panel. The yellow triangle and the front light out warning came one. When I stopped to check it out, here is what I found.

The low beam light was on, but so was the right high beam light. The left high beam was not on. This occurred without activating the high beam switch. When I activated the high beam switch, all of the lights operated. When I turned off the high beam switch, I did notice that the left side low beam would flicker from time to time.  

When I returned home, I performed an autoscan with my GS911. I had an active fault code under the BMSX. The code read "CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault. The fault is present." I cleared the fault, but it did not change anything. I did another scan and the same fault was present. 

What are your thoughts? How can I go about diagnosing what the issue is or, better yet, fixing it?

I called Cyclops and they did not believe it was an issue with their lights. I have had them on my bike for over two years without a problem. 

I'm scheduled to leave for a Four Corners trip on Memorial weekends. I went to my dealer and they can't fit me until May 27th. If it is something simple, I'd like to sort it out ASAP. 

41 minutes ago, Poco183 said:

I need some help solving an electrical/CANBUS issue with my  16 RT. It is outfitted with a complete set of Cyclops LED lights.  

Last weekend I was riding in the upper northeast when I receive a warning on my instrument panel. The yellow triangle and the front light out warning came one. When I stopped to check it out, here is what I found.

The low beam light was on, but so was the right high beam light. The left high beam was not on. This occurred without activating the high beam switch. When I activated the high beam switch, all of the lights operated. When I turned off the high beam switch, I did notice that the left side low beam would flicker from time to time.  

When I returned home, I performed an autoscan with my GS911. I had an active fault code under the BMSX. The code read "CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault. The fault is present." I cleared the fault, but it did not change anything. I did another scan and the same fault was present. 

What are your thoughts? How can I go about diagnosing what the issue is or, better yet, fixing it?

I called Cyclops and they did not believe it was an issue with their lights. I have had them on my bike for over two years without a problem. 

I'm scheduled to leave for a Four Corners trip on Memorial weekends. I went to my dealer and they can't fit me until May 27th. If it is something simple, I'd like to sort it out ASAP. 

Afternoon Poco183 

I'm not sure what you have going on there but it might be 2 separate issues.   The dash warning light might be indicating  a faulty front bulb  (sometimes when the system sees a fault in the low beam it will bring a high beam on then give a dash warning. 

On your GS-911 failure code-- Are you using a  (  CANopener ) for light control or other control?  I have seen that very same "CAN, node A, Fahrzeug-CAN, BusOff fault"  a few times now (even on proper functioning motorcycles). 

Best I could track it to was timing issue with the CANopener,  I   t-h-i-n-k  it is a timing issue between the on-board computer & the  CANopener. It didn't seem to cause any issues so I never put any time into finding the root cause. 

I’ll send you a spare Cyclops resistor for the low beam if you don’t already have one in-line there. 
My Cyclops H7 low beam has been operating perfectly for 3yrs and 50k miles and about 3 weeks ago I started getting an intermittent yellow triangle and varying glimpses of something flickering from either my Clearwater Darlas or my main lights.  
I installed the low beam resistor that Cyclops sent me gratis and it solved everything. 
I still think these Cyclops LEDs are the best beam pattern for WetHead RTs, and their support in my experience is excellent. 

You guys are the best. Dirtrider and Boxflyer, you are among the very best. Thank you for your sage advice. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Boxflyer said:

I’ll send you a spare Cyclops resistor for the low beam if you don’t already have one in-line there. 
My Cyclops H7 low beam has been operating perfectly for 3yrs and 50k miles and about 3 weeks ago I started getting an intermittent yellow triangle and varying glimpses of something flickering from either my Clearwater Darlas or my main lights.  
I installed the low beam resistor that Cyclops sent me gratis and it solved everything. 
I still think these Cyclops LEDs are the best beam pattern for WetHead RTs, and their support in my experience is excellent. 

T

Brad I am curious what you guess is on this sudden flair up on the light circuit?   3 yrs and 50K and then it starts acting up?  Have you had any software/firmware updates on the bike?  Are you running a canopener/ezCAN?   Did it update lately?  Just curios why it would start this. 

Cyclops did tell me  these bulbs do not last forever but I can not remember run time hours they quoted.  I am wondering if they are fading and the extra resistance is drawing on your canbus throwing your light circuit?  They are on point for sure.  I have installed a few of their bulbs on different bikes.

Just curious what you are thinking changed or called for a resistor?  Resistors get pretty warm also, correct?  Did you isolate it some how?

You are due for a 1250 anyway so you will get nice OEM LED lighting with that:classic_biggrin:

I had a LED low beam light have 1 of the LED's fail, but looking at the light ALL appeared OK. But I had the Light fault.

Hey Lee,

Just lots of riding…the bike has only been to the dealer twice in it's service life…the 600mi sign-off after I did the service, and at 35,600mi for an exhaust flap warranty replacement.  At that time there were over 20 updates applied, but that was a couple of years ago.

I don't have any CAN devices except for the Clearwater Darlas so it's a CAN-opener just for it.

I've talked to Cyclops Tech support several times and they have always said that they recommend using the resistor, but that "some" bikes can work OK without it, so it's not really a surprise to me that something could change and the CAN BUS is sensitive enough to flag it with the yellow triangle.

I'm pleased with the "active cooling" of the Cyclops and don't think that the heat is causing any problems…my fan still runs fine on my H7 LED low beam.

As far as I can tell, the resistor that I got from Cyclops is 20 ohms and is surrounded by a substantial aluminum heat sink.

Whatever it is, the resistor solved my problem and everything is running perfectly.

IMG_6295.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Dirtrider and Boxflyer, Thanks for the help. The issue was with the low beam headlight. As soon as I replaced it, everything returned to normal. Boxflyer, thanks for shipping me one.