IGNORED

Who has memories of their local fairs

Rougarou

Those bring back some memories! 

We stopped at an outstate county fair about 25 years ago, small, rides that arrive as trailers getting spot welded back together before the kiddies hop on. One of the skill games along with knock down the milk bottles and break a balloon with a dart was "Win a Knife!" A bunch of knives stuck in a stump, toss a ring around one, you win! I was in awe, no way that's allowed in the city then, or anywhere today. I figured every kid was begging mom for a dollar to try to "Win a Knife!"

Ah, the good old days!

szurszewski
6 minutes ago, Hosstage said:

Those bring back some memories! 

We stopped at an outstate county fair about 25 years ago, small, rides that arrive as trailers getting spot welded back together before the kiddies hop on. One of the skill games along with knock down the milk bottles and break a balloon with a dart was "Win a Knife!" A bunch of knives stuck in a stump, toss a ring around one, you win! I was in awe, no way that's allowed in the city then, or anywhere today. I figured every kid was begging mom for a dollar to try to "Win a Knife!"

Ah, the good old days!

That’s how I got my first pistol. 

One of the local sporting fields for one of the local elementary schools has a sponsorship banner from Ruger,......they have a manufacturing facility in Madison, NC

John Ranalletta

As kids, we'd leave home early on fair days on our bikes.  After sneaking in, we'd try to get jobs like bucking bales or whatever work exhibitors might have.

When 16 and 17, got a job as ticket taker at the grandstand where I got to watch the Springfield mile, rocket man and every concert and make $10/day to boot.

Those were the days when we'd leave home and the only thing mom would say is, "Be home before your dad gets home."   So much fun.

image.png.aee4e36f51e0b099af15f60c739a354a.png

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, John Ranalletta said:

Those were the days when we'd leave home and the only thing mom would say is, "Be home before your dad gets home."   So much fun.

"be home before dark" was ours.  No worrys, 10-12 year olds strapped with a shotgun or rifle riding a bicycle through town, zero, absolutely zero supervision!!!

Anyway, back to my original post.  I'm sure you can see why I thought what I thought when the 18 was shown in glittery purple.  The very first thought that came to mind was riding those glittery little motorcycles in a circle and popping a wheelie as they went over the "hump" that little kids didn't see.

I don’t know if that is the perfect picture angle for that bike (I’m pretty sure it’s not the glittery purple) but it looks good. :dontknow:

Don't forget the glittery boat rides at the fair too!

That R18 is glittery, that's for sure. Looks like a bass boat...

• Smile 1

Fairs...Are you going to Scarborough Fair? :whistle: :classic_biggrin:

Been to 

Topsfield Fair Topsfield MA. a half dozen times. 

The Big E Fair West Springfield MA. three different times.

Fryeburg Fair Fryeburg ME. a couple times.

:dontknow: 

Minnesota State Fair, biggest attendence of all fairs in the states.

Henderson County fair, not the biggest attendence of all fairs in the nation. Probably not the biggest attended event in Henderson county.

John Ranalletta
3 hours ago, John Ranalletta said:

As kids, we'd leave home early on fair days on our bikes.  After sneaking in, we'd try to get jobs like bucking bales or whatever work exhibitors might have.

When 16 and 17, got a job as ticket taker at the grandstand where I got to watch the Springfield mile, rocket man and every concert and make $10/day to boot.

image.png.aee4e36f51e0b099af15f60c739a354a.png

Most memorable were the motorcycle gangs who came for the m/c races.  The Outlaws caused most of the problems.  They'd line their bikes up, back wheels to the curb in front of the downtown police station stretching for blocks, blocking entrances.  They'd take over and destroy bars and even ride the occasional chopper thru a bar. 

The IL state and local police had the legislature pass "hurry up" regs re: unsafe m/c equipment like ape hangers. The LEOs would station themselves at roads leading into the city and impound bikes with offending parts.

Pretty exciting stuff for a 16 y/o

5 hours ago, Lowndes said:

I'm still waiting on the GS version.  With glitter paint.

It won't help, they'll still be ugly.....

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...