IGNORED

Where is this from, please?

The Rocketman

The Rocketman

2009 R1200RT. Had all body panels off and throttle bodies removed for some work. Upon re-assembly, this thing fell (I think from the left front panel?) and bounced on the floor. It looks and feels like a rubber vacuum cap, but its real tiny (see measurements), and I can't see anything missing from the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

44 minutes ago, The Rocketman said:

2009 R1200RT. Had all body panels off and throttle bodies removed for some work. Upon re-assembly, this thing fell (I think from the left front panel?) and bounced on the floor. It looks and feels like a rubber vacuum cap, but its real tiny (see measurements), and I can't see anything missing from the bike. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Afternoon  The Rocketman

Look inside that cap very closely, see if it shows signs of screw threads? I vaguely remember a screw tip being covered by a similar cap but can't remember if it was on the Hexhead or another motorcycle.

Cap that blocks the vacuum fitting used for throttle body synch? One TB has a vacuum hose leading to the airbox(?) and the other TB has just a cap similar to this one.

11 hours ago, dduelin said:

Cap that blocks the vacuum fitting used for throttle body synch? One TB has a vacuum hose leading to the airbox(?) and the other TB has just a cap similar to this one.

Morning   dduelin

With a 1/16" ID that seems too small for a throttle body vacuum plug cap. Plus the  1200 TB vacuum cap is usually a slightly different design (more teardrop shaped). 

1200 TB.jpg

The Rocketman

Yeah the one on the right side throttle body is still in place and is wider than the mystery one. Will be at Max BMW Friday and will bring it with me and inquire.

That is one of those "extra parts" that manufacturers put in their products to confuse you when you take them apart. They place them loose in the device and when you take it apart they fall out and you spend hours trying to figure out where they go. :19:

Roger L

• Haha 1

I figured that someone replaced the OEM one with that, which looks like standard ones in the auto parts stores.   

Wondering if the tapered style functions differently than that straight one, if that turns out to be where it came from.  It looks just like one I have used on my C before.

7 minutes ago, wbw6cos said:

I figured that someone replaced the OEM one with that, which looks like standard ones in the auto parts stores.   

Wondering if the tapered style functions differently than that straight one, if that turns out to be where it came from.  It looks just like one I have used on my C before.

Afternoon wbw6cos

Rocketman says his original is still in place so it definitely isn't that one (1200 only uses one vacuum cap). 

• Thanks 1