IGNORED

Riding Honda's 2021 CRF300 Rally in Thailand

MotoNews

Published in: Bikes

Riding Honda's 2021 CRF300 Rally in Thailand

2021 Honda CRF300 Rally Review

Amidst an astonishing motorcycle sales boom unexpectedly triggered by the global pandemic, Honda has launched their new 2021 CRF300L and Rally, the successors to their popular entry-level CRF250L/Rally models introduced in 2012 and 2017 respectively, and which quickly captured a major share of the 250cc trail bike/ADV/dual-sport market segment.

2021 CRF300 Rally FBTW

At first glance, the 2021 CRF300 Rally looks identical to its predecessor, the CRF250 Rally. Given their matching form, one would expect some visual differentiation of the 2021 model from its predecessor. Atypically, the customary marketing practice of “bold new graphics” has barely been applied to the new model’s decals, which look largely the same. The striking similarity between the old and new models, both in shape and cosmetic appearance, is surprising given that under the hood the CRF300L/Rally has received many upgrades to engine and frame.

• Engine

2021 CRF300 Rally Engine Skid

Compared to the CRF250L/Rally, the CRF300 engine’s architecture remains unchanged, but internally it has been upgraded substantially. The most prominent change is that the engine’s displacement grew by 36cc (+14.6%) to 286cc through lengthening the stroke from 55mm to 63mm, which boosted power by 10% from 24.8 hp to 27.3 hp at 8,500 rpm. Maximum torque grew by a solid 19%, from 16.7 lb.-ft. at 6,750 rpm to 19.9 lb.-ft. at 6,500 rpm. The greater power and stronger mid-range torque were unquestionably noticeable during our repeated test runs whereby the 300 consistently accelerated away from the 250 and reached a higher top speed of 85 mph vs. the 250s 80 mph.

The 300 mill not only delivers higher peak power and torque but benefits from a broader and more linear power band, achieved by optimizing the air intake and a new exhaust system. In addition to better breathing, the intake cam profile was redesigned to boost torque at low and medium revs. An improved design of the counterbalancer shaft has reduced vibrations, resulting in a smoother running engine, while the crank bearings have been upgraded to increase durability and longevity.

• Transmission

The transmission has received major upgrades, too. The six-speed gearbox has been redesigned to shorten the ratios of the first five gears, aimed at optimizing gearing for a more responsive use off road. This is a major improvement over the original engine, which was designed for the CBR250/300 models, with wider gear ratios typical of road bikes. In contrast, the sixth gear is taller now, allowing it to cruise at higher speeds with lower revs, improving fuel economy and engine longevity.

Another major upgrade is the addition of an assist and slipper clutch, allowing the use of lighter clutch springs that lower the clutch lever pull effort by 20% (the “assist” part). The “slipper” function allows the clutch to partially disengage briefly to cancel the reactive force sent through the gears to the engine by the rear wheel when the selected gear does not match the bike’s speed, causing rear-wheel hopping. The slipper clutch facilitates smoother downshifting and greater stability, enabling greater rear-wheel traction control during rapid downshifts on corner entries.

2021 CRF300 Rally DownHill

• Chassis

The substantial weight loss (-9 lb.) was achieved through a lighter, redesigned chassis. The new semi-double cradle steel frame is 4.74 lb. lighter and saw its lateral rigidity reduced by 25%. This was accomplished by reducing the lower down tubes’ diameter from 1.125 to 1 inch and narrowing the width across the central bracing tube by 0.8 inch and the main down tube by 1.18 inch. The greater lateral flexibility improves the rider’s feel and feedback. Substituting aluminum for steel for the bottom triple clamp saved 1.6 lb. Redesigning the tapered cast aluminum swingarm allowed shedding 1.2 lb. and reduced its lateral rigidity by 23%. All these changes resulted in a significantly lighter, more responsive, better handling motorcycle.

• Geometry, Suspension and Brakes

The handling and steering responsiveness benefit also from a revised frame geometry, with rake and trail now set at 27°30' and 4.3 inches, respectively. Shorter riders will appreciate the 0.4-inch lower seat height, now at 34.8 inches, while the ground clearance has grown from 10.6 to 10.9 inches. The Showa inverted fork and rear shock lost, respectively, 0.8 and 0.1 inch in travel, compensated for by revised suspension settings for spring weight and damping. 

2021 CRF300 Rally Rear Brake

Adopted from the 250, the 296mm front disc combined with a two-piston caliper provides impressive stopping power. The rear 220mm disc features a single-piston caliper but the brake fluid reservoir is now integrated into the rear master cylinder, making it more crash-proof. Progressively modulating the Nissin brakes was easy, allowing for aggressive braking with confidence, partly due to the ABS.

• Ergonomics, Lights and Display

Compared to the 250, the new 300s ergonomics are subtly improved by slightly pulling back the handlebars and repositioning the engine in the new chassis, enabling lower and moved-back footpegs (now featuring rubber inserts), resulting in a roomier riding position. The fuel tank’s volume grew by 0.7 gallons to 3.4 gallons, giving a range of 250 miles at 76 mpg. The asymmetric dual LED headlight does an excellent job at lighting up the road at night, and the LED indicators are now mounted flexibly. The redesigned LCD screen is lighter and more compact, with better readability and more information, including a new gear position indicator, fuel gauge, consumption and mileage, average speed, clock, stopwatch, and tach/speedo/odometer. Compared to the speed indication on my GPS, the speedometer was a tad optimistic by about 5 mph.

2021 CRF300 Rally Dash

• Impressions

When I collected the press bike from Honda Thailand, the subsidiary that manufactures the CRF300L/Rally for the global market, it had 1,300 km on the clock and showed visible signs of use and abuse by the motorcycle press corps of Thailand. At least I didn’t have to worry about scuffing the plastics, as the tank’s decals were already heavily scratched. A previous journalist had dropped it, and a makeshift repair with zip-ties held the handguard to the brake lever perch. If nothing else, this shows that some motorcycle journalists do not tread lightly when testing bikes, taking their responsibilities as reviewers seriously.

2021 CRF300 Rally Jungle

The first thing that became apparent was the excessive heat emanating from the radiator, which has changed position on the 2021 model and is now on the right-hand side. At traffic lights, the radiator fan kicked in and blasted my right knee and lower leg with hot air through the radiator shroud, to the point that I had to awkwardly position my leg away from it. Admittedly, on the way home from Honda I was wearing normal pants, exposing my leg fully to the hot blast. For test rides in the following week, I geared up in my Klim Badlands Pro pants, knee braces, and Gaerne SG-12 boots, which provided shielding from the heat. That said, the CRF250 Rally did not produce this effect to the same extent, as somehow the hot airflow from its left-hand side radiator is directed differently. This issue has popped up in online forum discussions among the early adopters of the CRF300L/Rally in Thailand, especially those who ride frequently in city traffic. It appears to affect the CRF300L worse, as its reshaped radiator shrouds exacerbate the problem.

Speaking of awkward airstreams, the windscreen also comes up for discussion. For riders of average height (5 feet, 9 inches for men; 5 feet, 4 inches for women in the U.S.), the windshield offers adequate protection from the wind. However, at 6 foot, 3 inches, I’m in the 95th percentile for height and this windscreen simply does not work for someone of my stature. It deflected and concentrated the turbulent airflow right onto my Shoei Hornet X2. Cruising at speeds of 65 to 85 mph, the wind’s buffeting was distracting and tiring after a while, and I found myself either slowing down or hunchbacking to duck my head under the turbulence. No doubt the aftermarket will offer a taller replacement shield or clip-on extension deflectors to resolve this issue.

2021 CRF300 Rally Headlight

The windshield as well as the overall shape and appearance of the CRF300 Rally are styled after Ricky Brabec’s Dakar-winning HRC Honda CRF450 Rally. However, that’s where the resemblance ends with the exclusive HRC factory team race bike. The engine and chassis are borrowed from the CRF300L, making it a mild-mannered ADV motorcycle dressed up as a full-blown rally bike. Don’t make the mistake of thinking you can line it up at the start of a desert race. That said, for its intended ADV use, it offers excellent value for the money.      

I found the assist/slipper clutch a helpful upgrade, making a noticeable difference during test runs on twisty mountain roads as well as on Hondas track. Bike-swapping between the 250 and 300, I could approach corners and enter hairpins more aggressively on the 300, simultaneously engaging in rapid-fire downshifting and braking hard without triggering rear-wheel chatter. For those who enjoy drifting through corners, the 300s slipper/assist clutch makes it easier, with the rear-brake ABS switched off, to instigate a controlled rear-wheel slide on corner entry without fearing the dreaded rear-wheel hop.

2021 CRF300 Rally Front Brake

• Summary

After test riding the CRF300 Rally for a week, and comparing it to its predecessor, the CRF250 Rally, I have to commend Honda for the considerable improvements implemented in the new model. But what is truly astonishing is that the MSRP has gone up only $50, which is hard to believe given the numerous upgrades and refinements, not in the least the larger, more powerful engine, the weight reduction, and the assist/slipper clutch. With an MSRP of $5,999 (Standard) and $6,299 (ABS) for the CRF300 Rally, buyers are not only getting incredible value for the money, but Honda also has no doubt renewed its leadership position in the lightweight ADV/dual-purpose market with the 2021 CRF300L/Rally models.

The Honda CRF300 Rally is an excellent choice for riders who want to own only one bike that covers the widest possible spectrum of riding applications with minimal maintenance and expense, and maximum versatility, reliability, and comfort. It is truly a rider-friendly, practical, affordable, fun, go-anywhere ADV/dual-sport that’s just as much at home in daily urban traffic as it is on wilderness trails or multi-year, round-the-world adventures.

Editor's Note - We'll be testing the US spec versions of the 2021 Honda CRF300L and CRF300L Rally soon! Keep an eye out for our upcoming article and on socials for sneak peeks!

• Specifications

2021 Honda CRF300L Rally specs

Honda CRF300 Rally courtesy of A.P. Honda Thailand.

Powersports.Honda.com

Honda CRF250 Rally courtesy of Riders Corner, Chiang Mai, Thailand.

RidersCorner.net

Mini bio portrait JMJan Marc “JM” Staelens, Ph.D. After pursuing a zigzagging career leading nowhere across five continents, JM was forced to face up to the undeniable truth that his stints working in foreign affairs, the corporate rat race, academia, and running his own companies, were merely ludicrous self-delusional attempts trying to hide that he was only cut out for one thing: riding motorcycles! JM has lived in Europe, Africa, Australia, North America, and Asia. Although a veteran of intercontinental bike trips, he keeps adding far-flung destinations to his bucket list.

Fpv1sxx26cM

View the full article