IGNORED

Newbie w/first BMW

PayDro

Hey all,

Not new to motorcycling, but I currently ride a Victory, and after a while looking for used BMWs, I found this "gently" used 2009 R1200RT-P with 47K miles. At $3400, I couldn't resist!

I love the body position, and the smooth acceleration, and especially the adjustable windscreen!

It has a few scratches, but otherwise she's in great shape. Anyone else have the Police version and did any mods to it? I'm curious  to see what has been done to it, and get ideas for my own.

I haven't used the search function yet, but I'll be using it whenever things arise, and for maintenance, etc.

I'm guessing that the ABS was disconnected, and that's why the yellow triangle is lit, as well as the "Brake failure" light as well.

Looking forward to hearing from ya'll! I live in East-Central Florida.

PayDro

Bike1.jpg

instrument-lights.jpg

fairing.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum.   Good choice for bike.  Quite a few board members that utilized those type of rides for their work routine.  

PayDro,

Welcome to the forum!!  And - congrats on the bike!!  Sounds like a very good deal.  

I've always thought that the storage compartment in place of the rear seat would be VERY nice to have.

You might want to peruse the "HEXHEADS" (I think) section here for specific info and questions on this bike.

As is my normal comment to a new member... Welcome to the Asylum...

It may be the lighting of the first image in your post but is that law enforcement painting...? 

LEO bikes usually have had good maintenance. How are the tires and what brand are they?

Good job, and enjoy the ride, you will love the difference.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Any hint/tips/tricks you can share with me, I'm open to listening to everyone. 

@hopz I'm quite comfortable in my own asylum, but it's good to know I'm not alone in here  :rofl:. Yes, the lighting in there is crappy. I'll post better pics. The side still has the faint sticker remnant that read "City of Ocala Police" as well as the vehicle number.  I've seen another RT-P on CL for sale that had more white parts than mine... so I guess there are different paint schemes...? 

The tires are in Ok shape; probably a few thousand miles left on them, and  I don't know the brand/model, but I can check. Is there one that's better than others for this model?

5 hours ago, Lowndes said:

"gently" used 2009 R1200RT-P"

@LowndesYes... a police bike that was "gently" used  LOL. And thanks for the correct sub-forum to check out. 

On 5/10/2021 at 11:00 AM, PayDro said:

I'm guessing that the ABS was disconnected, and that's why the yellow triangle is lit, as well as the "Brake failure" light as well.

Evening PayDro

If your speedometer still operates then the ABS system hasn't been totally disconnected as the ABS module electronics process the wheel speed input.

You need to look into that brake system  to determine what is going on (inspect then get the brake failure code or codes). A common problem on the 2009 1200RT  is stuck ABS servo motor brushes (not an easy fix at home).

With the yellow dash light on due to brake issues that warning light will not be able to alert you to other  vehicle malfunctions.

PayDro,

As a word of caution to innocent newbies such as yourself unfamiliar with the esoteric quirks and unwritten rules of the perponderance of the populace here otherwise masquerading as mild mannered members whose major mission is mercy, there are several topics best handled with long tongs: OIL, tires, and batteries.  The main one is OIL.  Holy Crap.  The mere mention will start a food fight in the foyer on this forum.  Tires aren't quite that bad, and to be sure, you have not transgressed in any way.  And it wouldn't be anything directed toward you, but the issue would take over the discussion with long and arduous dissertations from every member into the night about which brand is better and parts per million of phosphorus.  

Lots of discussions about tires here with all the pros and cons.  The search button will get you started on your quest for enlightenment.  A lot depends on where and how you ride.

One last thing, if Dirtrider (the post above) says it, it is the undisputed and benevolent voice of wisdom and knowledge here.

Welcome friend,

Where are you located? In the Ocala to Daytona area by chance? I have a GS-911 that will display current or stored diagnostic trouble codes and I'd be happy to run down to you and help you run this check.

Dave

Jacksonville, FL

Thanks @dirtrideryes, the spedo is working, and the brakes work as well. I'll have to get my mechanic to take a look if it seems a bit off. 

@Lowndes You're killing me with the multisylable... ERR... big words. :D  What's this "search" function you speak of? :dopeslap: I'd just rather ask the same question in a new thread, especially on tires and oil! (I actually run Darkside (car tire) on my Victory) :14:

But, in all seriousness, I tend to search out the answers to my questions prior to starting a new thread, due to the fact that the question I have has probably been answered already, and like you stated: there are MUCH smarter/more experienced people out there than me.

@dduelin Dave, thanks for the offer! I'm in the Melbourne area, so a bit further south. But if I head up your way, I'll hit you up for sure!

Here are a few more pics of the faint "police" stickers on the bike. @hopz it has Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT tires

police2.jpg

823.jpg

Welcome PayDro. I promise no big words. Like lowndes said there are a lot of opinions on oil and tires. I’ll list a couple of them that are common and popular here. I’m sure I’ll miss a few and some others will fill in. These aren’t listed in any order

Tires Michelin, Bridgestone T 31, Avon, Dunlop, Pirelli

The PR 4GT tires you have is what I’ve been running for a few years. I just mounted a set of T-31’s recently. So far I like them

oil. The key is to stay in spec of 

JASO MA2 SPI SL

I personally use Castrol. Others are Spectrum, Royal Purple, LiquiMolly, and a few I don’t remember

As Lowndes said oil and tire discussions become really long and personal preference 

Double check your owners manual for the spec but pretty sure the above is what you need

Good luck and welcome

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Welcome PayDro. I promise no big words. Like lowndes said there are a lot of opinions on oil and tires. I’ll list a couple of them that are common and popular here. I’m sure I’ll miss a few and some others will fill in. These aren’t listed in any order

Tires Michelin, Bridgestone T 31, Avon, Dunlop, Pirelli

The PR 4GT tires you have is what I’ve been running for a few years. I just mounted a set of T-31’s recently. So far I like them

oil. The key is to stay in spec of 

JASO MA2 SPI SL

I personally use Castrol. Others are Spectrum, Royal Purple, LiquiMolly, and a few I don’t remember

As Lowndes said oil and tire discussions become really long and personal preference 

Double check your owners manual for the spec but pretty sure the above is what you need

Good luck and welcome

And some still use Rotella T-6,......did we say oil in this thread?:14:

19 hours ago, Lowndes said:

And, HEEEEEEeeeeeear we go!!

SON!!  You done kicked over a chamber pot at a bridal shower.

And when my Odyssey PC680 dies, I ain'ta gonna get another finicky battery :18:

• Haha 1

WAIT A MINUTE.  YOU can't dis my battery like that.  And WHAT makes you think it's gonna DIE??  It'll outlast any other battery YOU can find.

• Haha 1

Hey, I have an idea:  let's start a battery thread.  It ranks right up there with tires, oil, and spline lube.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Lowndes said:

WAIT A MINUTE.  YOU can't dis my battery like that.

I jus did

15 hours ago, wbw6cos said:

Hey, I have an idea:  let's start a battery thread.  It ranks right up there with tires, oil, and spline lube.

This just became a battery thread!

Partly because I wanted a data point for The Great Battery Experiment but mostly because I'm a cheapskate, I replaced the dying Exide GEL battery in my R1150RT with a $40 ExpertPower AGM battery from Amazon. This was three weeks ago. So far so good. When it fails I'll let y'all know.

• Like 1

Do the warning lights extinguish as you start moving? If yes, then all is well. Those light come on at startup and will stay on until the wheel sensors start sending a signal to the ABS computer as part of the error checking sequence at startup.

Those '09's are totally solid machines.