IGNORED

USB Port Won't Power GPS

Bob_1978

I have a 2013RT and a Garmin Nuvi GPS.  I wanted to use the bike's USB port to power the GPS but when I plugged it in, the GPS thinks it's connected to a computer.  Garmin tech support said that I needed a USB-to-cigarette-lighter adapter so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1LZ693/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well this doesn't work either as the red LED indicating power doesn't light.  And I notice when I plug my phone into the same USB port, it does charge the phone but VERY SLOWLY.

Any advice?  I hate the idea of using the cigarette plug on the left side of the fairing and running a wire across, but that seems to be the only option at his point.

Thanks.

dirtrider
12 hours ago, Bob_1978 said:

I have a 2013RT and a Garmin Nuvi GPS.  I wanted to use the bike's USB port to power the GPS but when I plugged it in, the GPS thinks it's connected to a computer.  Garmin tech support said that I needed a USB-to-cigarette-lighter adapter so I bought this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1LZ693/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well this doesn't work either as the red LED indicating power doesn't light.  And I notice when I plug my phone into the same USB port, it does charge the phone but VERY SLOWLY.

Any advice?  I hate the idea of using the cigarette plug on the left side of the fairing and running a wire across, but that seems to be the only option at his point.

Thanks.

Morning Bob

It sounds like you are using the incorrect USB cable to connect your GPS to your motorcycle. Some USB cables are charge/power only & others are power/data. If you are using a data USB cable then it will probably go into computer connection mode.  

Added: I found this_____ Don't know if it is 100% accurate but gives you an idea of what is needed.

Nuvi behavior depends on mini-USB plug connection.

pin 4 not connected - data cable, nuvi connects to PC (or motorcycle) as a removable drive, navigation NOT possible.

USB, pin 4 & 5 short-circuited - USB supply 500mA, possible navigation,

USB, pin 4 & 5 connected through 18kOhm resistor - Garmin supply 1A, possible navigation.

USB, pin 4 & 5 connected through 22kOhm resistor - Garmin supply 500mA, possible navigation.

Your Nuvi will probably need close to 500mA-800mA supply to have enough power to keep navigating + charging. (my personal guess anyhow)

Or, you might be able to use a cheap USB Data Blocker with your present USB cable (I'm not sure on this but might be worth try as they are fairly cheap).

Your present  USB-to-cigarette-lighter adapter might or might not work as it might not be able to convert the lower USB voltage up to 12v with enough power to operate the Nuvi cigarette lighter voltage reducer circuitry.  

Personally I would probably try a charge ONLY cable as an easy first thing to try. (you will probably have to make sure that it changes or grounds pin 4 correctly)

Thanks for this!

All of the "charging" cables I looked at seemed to also allow data xfer, so I'll try the data blocker, or "USB condom" as it's called ($3.99 for a 2-pack), which is designed to prevent "juice jacking" when charging in a public place.

I learn something new every day...

Hey Dirtrider

Just to close the loop on this, the data blocker adapter did the trick.  Thanks for the suggestion!

Bob