IGNORED

iPhone Bluetooth and radar detectors?

Whip

What are the latest solutions for iPhone and radar on a bike? Do the new radar detectors have Apps that Bluetooth to your phone so I can plug my inner ear speakers into my phone and get audio alerts in real-time? .... while listening to Reacher books or Kid Rock?

If not an App what other solutions are there?

Ya, I'd like an answer to this as well.   I've noticed my average slab speed has gone from 80 to 90, so, ya, it may be time to get a ticket checker.

Yes you can. The new generation Valentine 1, has Bluetooth and a earphone jack built in. The iPhone app is very extensive. You can view and select volume, radar bands and other details. 
I use the earphone jack, wired into a Sena SM10. This merges my music, V1 signals and GPS instructions into one Bluetooth transmission to my headset. 
Also the new V1 eliminated most car radar units. 

• 5 weeks later...
Bill_Walker

My Sena 20S can pair to two bluetooth sources, but I needed connections to GPS, music, and V1.  So my setup, which uses a Sena SM10 to connect two wired audio inputs to Bluetooth, is:

- Phone paired to NAV VI GPS (really only so GPS can use it to get traffic info, since I avoid making or receiving phone calls and don't use the phone for music or navigation)

- Sena 20S Bluetooth paired to NAV VI GPS

- Bike audio (usually set to get input from an iPod Nano in glove box) tapped via a Motochello speaker bridge wired into a Sena SM10

- V1 wired  into Sena SM10

- Sena 20S Bluetooth paired to Sena SM10

This all works well, except that there's some noise from the V1.  I think it needs an audio isolator, but my music usually drowns out the noise, so I haven't gotten around to opening the tail up again to try plugging one in.  I _think_ I might have one left over from my old Autocom setup, but it's hard to tell which Autocom black box is which.

chrisolson
On 5/5/2021 at 5:19 AM, Whip said:

If not an App what other solutions are there?

If i remember correctly  you run everything through your phone, music, books, map directions ....  no Garmin anymore.

If so , looks like a new Valentine 1 is in your future  ... As Bernie alluded,  their app uses bluetooth to put the alerts into your phone (and consequently into your ears)  just as you would want.

:wave:

• Like 1

Yep, the V1 seems like the way to go. I’d just note that the bluetooth to phone to intercom seems to introduce a lag, so you’re introducing a big more risk to the equation, unless you mount it in such a way as to ensure being able to see the visual alert.

17 hours ago, Bill_Walker said:

My Sena 20S can pair to two bluetooth sources, but I needed connections to GPS, music, and V1.  So my setup, which uses a Sena SM10 to connect two wired audio inputs to Bluetooth, is:

- Phone paired to NAV VI GPS (really only so GPS can use it to get traffic info, since I avoid making or receiving phone calls and don't use the phone for music or navigation)

- Sena 20S Bluetooth paired to NAV VI GPS

- Bike audio (usually set to get input from an iPod Nano in glove box) tapped via a Motochello speaker bridge wired into a Sena SM10

- V1 wired  into Sena SM10

- Sena 20S Bluetooth paired to Sena SM10

This all works well, except that there's some noise from the V1.  I think it needs an audio isolator, but my music usually drowns out the noise, so I haven't gotten around to opening the tail up again to try plugging one in.  I _think_ I might have one left over from my old Autocom setup, but it's hard to tell which Autocom black box is which.

Bill, I only have extra noises when I bike power my SM10. I have used the old isolator/junction box from Autocom, the one designated for the Zumo 550, successfully.  I think it’s a ground loop problem. I am sure any of the Autocom isolators will work. 

• Like 1

Ya, I'm looking for a direct connect to the Sena without having to have another device(SM10), so, if the V1 bluetooths directly with the phone, I should be good right?

11 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Ya, I'm looking for a direct connect to the Sena without having to have another device(SM10), so, if the V1 bluetooths directly with the phone, I should be good right?

Yes. 

21 hours ago, Bernie said:

Yes. 

Thanks, now to budget one of those things in.  I've seen the older ones on goodwill go for $150-200, but have yet to see the newer ones.

4 hours ago, Rougarou said:

Thanks, now to budget one of those things in.  I've seen the older ones on goodwill go for $150-200, but have yet to see the newer ones.

If you want to save some money, you can trade in your old unit for the newer version.

Check their website for the upgrade price. The other thing you can do is use a Android app for the older V1 units. It requires some optional accessories to make it work. @Indy Dave uses a setup like that.

• Like 1

That's true - I use a V1 Bluetooth dongle for my V1. I also use a 3rd party Android App (there are several), and the V1 is Bluetoothed through my phone - so the alerts can come through the sena from your paired phone. Phone calls block V1 alerts . . .

My V1 is a some years old, but was updated a couple of years ago.

Valentine makes their own App now, but I've continued to use the 3rd party app.  The new V1's have Bluetooth built in (I believe), so you don't need a dongle for that. But it still pairs directly to and through your phone, so it's simple and you can stay clear of pairing it to you com system.

Here's the under the seat clutter - pointing to the V1 dongle, which plugs into a double power block, the power for the V1 exiting the other outlet in the block. @Whip @Bernie

20210610_130851.thumb.jpg.5a5752b1e13a4d445a9fe614dd268e80.jpg

And my V1 mount, still in development, thus the wire ties. Will have clear windows when finalized.

20210614_164957.thumb.jpg.65ea0b8e2ae500a455930c06dcb9d3ac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...