IGNORED

Clutch adjustment screw replacement

neilsr1100rt

neilsr1100rt

Hello all.  Looking for a bit of guidance on replacing the clutch adjustment screw for a 2000 R1100RT (see attached pics).  Tried to adjust the clutch cable and the adjustment screw ended up snapping.  A little too tight and too much force on my end.  I've ordered a new adjustment screw and knurled nut to replace the existing.  Question is do I have to remove the whole clutch cable?  By gaining enough slack on the cable at the hand lever by loosening the 13mm bolt at the clutch, I'm hoping to remove the cable at the hand lever and replace the adjustment screw at that location.  I've already unfastened the clutch cable from the lever but there is still enough tension on the cable that doesn't allow me to release the cable.  How can this be achieved?  After watching a few videos, I don't want to remove the whole right faring, wheel, etc. for only the adjustment screw.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the input.

Clutch Cable.png

Clucth adjuster screw.jpg

clutch nut broken.jpg

Clutch hand lever.jpg

Clutch cable 1.jpg

Clucth adjustment.jpg

dirtrider
39 minutes ago, neilsr1100rt said:

Hello all.  Looking for a bit of guidance on replacing the clutch adjustment screw for a 2000 R1100RT (see attached pics).  Tried to adjust the clutch cable and the adjustment screw ended up snapping.  A little too tight and too much force on my end.  I've ordered a new adjustment screw and knurled nut to replace the existing.  Question is do I have to remove the whole clutch cable?  By gaining enough slack on the cable at the hand lever by loosening the 13mm bolt at the clutch, I'm hoping to remove the cable at the hand lever and replace the adjustment screw at that location.  I've already unfastened the clutch cable from the lever but there is still enough tension on the cable that doesn't allow me to release the cable.  How can this be achieved?  After watching a few videos, I don't want to remove the whole right faring, wheel, etc. for only the adjustment screw.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for the input.

Evening  neilsr1100rt

I have always been able to get the cable to release at the hand lever by removing it from the lower lever.

In your case that might not be possible as you still have that broken adjuster on the cable.  I usually have to turn the adjuster all the way in to get enough slack to get the cable to release.

You might have to use a Dremel or hacksaw to  cut the knurled nut to split that off so you can then remove the broken adjuster piece from the cable.

neilsr1100rt

Hey Dirtrider.  Appreciate the words of wisdom.  I did head back to the garage and tinkered with the lower adjuster to get me enough slack at the hand lever.  I was able to  remove the keeper from the end of the cable so I think I've got a path forward once the parts arrive.  I was also able to unscrew the broken adjustor for the ultimate repair.  I'm understanding that this could be a little tricky but should work if I'm able to remove the keeper, replace the adjuster, kurled nut and then put back together.  Once the new adjuster and the kurled nut arrive, I'm all over it.  Thanks again for stepping up to share your knowledge.thumbnail_IMG_6848.thumb.jpg.574bcea6ddfd1f8ea4f73bbbbe13cb1a.jpgthumbnail_IMG_6852.thumb.jpg.c67cb9891dd0378dfd2dcc67ae7484ce.jpg

• Like 1