IGNORED

Big Bend

skinny

Big Bend Nat’l park in southwest Texas is well known for it’s remote location and un-bearable heat in the summer. It’s not as pleasant as the Hill Country, but it is a lot less crowded on week-ends. If you’re looking for an out of the way destination , try FM 2627 to La Linda. Just before you reach the north entrance at Persimmon Gap, this 2 lane road goes southeast off Hwy 385 about 30 miles and dead-ends on the Rio Grande, at Heath Canyon. This is about as far off the beaten path as you can get in the U.S. The road is narrow, but in good condition, with enough turns to make it interesting, and a bunch of roller coaster elevation changes. Very little traffic, except for the river guide services, who ferry clients to and from the river. There is a small restaurant called The Open Sky Café, and a guest ranch with simple accommodations for guests. From here, you have to retrace your route back to Hwy 385. If you continue into Big Bend park, there is a $5.00 entrance fee for motorcycles, which is good for 1 week. The best road in the park is the Ross Maxwell scenic road to Castolon, and Santa Elena canyon. This is a very twisty 2 lane road that goes about 30 miles to a dead-end at the trail head for Santa Elena. It’s well worth the trip, but be aware that the speed limit in the park is 45mph and the park rangers have radar. I personally am not genetically capable of driving that slow, but have avoided any tickets so far. Late winter and early spring is the best time to visit Big Bend unless you like hot weather. By mid-April, the temp will routinely hit 100 deg.

skinny

02 1150 RT

01 Hayabusa

Skinny,

The ride from the Ranger's station up to the Lodge in the Basin is another fun ride. I've vacationed in Big Bend several times on motorcycle. It's a blast, especially in the off season. None of the bikes I went on was nearly as capable as an RT though. I hope to return there after I get mine. Maybe I can do that and meet up with the "Pie-town Crew" for an introduction to the Hill Country. Your post brought back a lot of good memories. Thanks!

Al

quote:

Originally posted by NightHawk:

Maybe I can do that and meet up with the "Pie-town Crew" for an introduction to the Hill Country. Al

Newcomers and foreigners have to buy the first pie. crazy.gif

Big Bend is really great, altho I haven't been there on the RT yet. I did take a 2-day, 1-night river raft trip down the Rio Grande that was fantastic. The tour guides did everything, all you did was bring the beer and a sleeping bag, they did the rest. I believe it was Far Flung Adventures out of Terlingua.

------------------

Brian McGauley

'96 R11RT "Frau Blucher 2"

Charter Member, "Pie-Town Crew"

FLIronButtRider

Skinny, thanks for the info. It just so happens that the Missus and I are heading there next weekend. We'll be there Fri-Sun and going with a few other riders. However, we're staying at Davis Mtn. State Park and riding into Big Bend on Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else wanna come along???

------------------

Michael Cortes

Charter Member-Pie Town Crew

2000 R1100RT-His

2001 R1100RL-Hers

1988 NT650 Hawk-Ours

Rtrider,

Be sure and take the river road from Presidio to Terlingua. It's one of the classic rides in the Big Bend area. As of early Feb. it was under construction for about 6 or 8 miles between Presidio and Redford, but the rest of it is in good condition. Lajitas is in the midst of a major renovation, so the dust and dirt is bad, but only the rich can afford to stay there anyway. The new owner is trying to turn it into another Palm Springs type, absurdly expensive resort for the private jet set.

I ride regularly with a group that does the Big Bend at least once each year. We are going again April 26. We will stay at the Gage Hotel in Marathon that night, spend the next day riding through the park and doing the River Road (of course!) then spending the night in Fort Davis. We'll ride up to Carlsbad the next day (via the Davis Mountains) and end up in Ruidoso before the long haul home to Dallas...

quote:

Originally posted by Bill1100:

We'll ride up to Carlsbad the next day ..

Speaking of Carlsbad, for those of you that haven't toured Carlsbad Caverns, do it. While you are there, there is a lesser-known cave south of the main area called "New Cave". It is by reservations only, and a park ranger leads the way. You carry your own flashlight/lantern, but you don't need any spelunking experience. Call way ahead for reservations.

I don't know if they have any apple pie there, though.

------------------

Brian McGauley

Yeeha! Stephen

quote:

I ride regularly with a group that does the Big Bend at least once each year. We are going again April 26. We will stay at the Gage Hotel in Marathon that night, spend the next day riding through the park and doing the River Road...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

quote:

Originally posted by RTrider:

It just so happens that the Missus and I are heading there next weekend. We'll be there... with a few other riders. However, we're staying at Davis Mtn. State Park Anyone else wanna come along???

Looks like I made a major mistake in planning my whole spring riding season too far in advance(Nov & Dec)!

Come the fall season maybe I can be a little more flexible and join in the fun. Now... if I can figure how to block off every weekend at work for my own vacation fun I'll be set.

shooter.gif

------------------

Yeeha!

Stephen

Charter Member "Pie-Town Crew"

'02 1150RT Redhead

quote:

I ride regularly with a group that does the Big Bend at least once each year. .... We'll ride up to Carlsbad the next day (via the Davis Mountains) and end up in Ruidoso before the long haul home to Dallas...

Now THAT sounds like a ride! I'd like to try for that again, but my challenge remains getting baby sitters, the ones we know and are comfortable with are in San Antonio. Gotta Scheme harder --- Gotta scheme harder.

Rojen

quote:

Originally posted by Brian Mc:

Newcomers and foreigners have to buy the first pie.
crazy.gif

I'm sure I qualify as one or the other. Maybe even both! Louisiana seems like a foreign nation sometimes. If you'll lead the way, I'll buy the pie.

quote:

Originally posted by Rojen:

...but my challenge remains getting baby sitters,Rojen

Let's see, two side cases, one top case, tank bag.

...How many kids you got?

------------------

Brian McGauley

[This message has been edited by Brian Mc (edited 03-20-2002).]

• 3 weeks later...

Be sure and take the river road from Presidio to Terlingua. It's one of the classic rides in the Big Bend area. As of early Feb. it was under construction for about 6 or 8 miles between Presidio and Redford, but the rest of it is in good condition.

We rode through Big Bend, Lajitas and Terlingua last September. God, I love that country out there!

The River Road was torn up then, and a pain to ride, but just last Sunday I was told that construction has been completed. Can't wait to go back and do it again!

Bill J. from Austin

'00 R1100R

Deep metallic red and GORGEOUS!

Louisiana seems like a foreign nation sometimes.

SEEMS like a foreign nation? Got some news for you, buddy...

laugh.gif

Bill J. from Austin

• ccolson changed the title to How to Report a Post

Archived