IGNORED

2007 GS Driveline maintenance questions....

Heck

Hi all-

After not doing any motorcycle riding for the last year and a half, and now getting the itch to do some riding during the short season, a pretty extensive service regimen for the bike is in progress..... One of the areas is the driveline (which I have not had any previous problem with) and the rubber boots at the trans-driveline and Driveline-FD joints. The  front Trans-driveline boot is toast, and will need to be replaced. Ok, since a spline lube is on my list. Figure I might as well replace both the boots and have them coming at this time.... 

Question is do I have to remove the complete swing arm to get to the splines to lube them and to replace that front boot? Not too sure I want to take on the swing arm removal, but might be forced into it depending on what I find.....

Again, this is preventative maintenance at this point but I feel it is time to address it.... Bike has 69k miles....TIA for info....

Heck

Looks like there is no way around dropping the swing-arm. A decent moving pictorial of the procedure here. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, Heck said:

Hi all-

After not doing any motorcycle riding for the last year and a half, and now getting the itch to do some riding during the short season, a pretty extensive service regimen for the bike is in progress..... One of the areas is the driveline (which I have not had any previous problem with) and the rubber boots at the trans-driveline and Driveline-FD joints. The  front Trans-driveline boot is toast, and will need to be replaced. Ok, since a spline lube is on my list. Figure I might as well replace both the boots and have them coming at this time.... 

Question is do I have to remove the complete swing arm to get to the splines to lube them and to replace that front boot? Not too sure I want to take on the swing arm removal, but might be forced into it depending on what I find.....

Again, this is preventative maintenance at this point but I feel it is time to address it.... Bike has 69k miles....TIA for info....

Afternoon Heck

It sort of depends on: how nimble you are, how good you are at working in blind spaces, & how crafty you are.

Seeing as you have a 1200GS the driveshaft should come out the rear without removing the swing arm, same for re-installation. With the driveshaft removed you can remove the zip tie on the front boot then replace it with a new one. You will need to pry the front U joint off of the transmission output shaft. Putting it back on blind is also a  test of your faith. 

To keep this short-- On the GS you CAN remove the drive shaft & replace the front boot without removing the swing arm but it sure isn't easy,  quick, or fun. 

Ah, you pull the new boot up through the swing-arm housing! :thumbsup: 

edit...I rethought that, without the shaft you can squeeze the boot in between the trans and swing-arm. I like that answer better! :yes:

3 hours ago, dirtrider said:

Afternoon Heck

It sort of depends on: how nimble you are, how good you are at working in blind spaces, & how crafty you are.

Lessee....Nimble-  Hands like hamhocks, Arthritis in most joints, and a sailor's vocabulary.

Blind Spaces-    Since I had my cataract surgeries, my near vision is not good at all without glasses. 180* from younger years.

Crafty-   I believe I have been called "shifty" more often than "crafty"....

To keep this short-- On the GS you CAN remove the drive shaft & replace the front boot without removing the swing arm but it sure isn't easy,  quick, or fun. 

On a positive note, at least I have a lift to work from so I don't need to spend all the time on the floor..... and then there is that sailor's vocabulary..plus and an enclosed shop so the expletives dont carry as well......

Thanks dirtrider- one last quick question- would it help the situation to remove the bottom bolt on the rear shock ??

Also thanks Tewks for the video- 

10 hours ago, Heck said:

Thanks dirtrider- one last quick question- would it help the situation to remove the bottom bolt on the rear shock ??

Morning Heck

Only if you have to, the straighter the rear swing arm is to level the easier it is to re-install the drive shaft so removing the shock bolt probably won't help with that but being able to move the swing arm down farther might help with boot access.