IGNORED

First 2 weeks with the RT

Wilinfla

It has been 2 weeks and 800 miles since I brought my new (to me) 2016 R1200RT home. I could not be happier, I can’t believe what a joy the RT is to ride. I have been riding for a long time, mostly cruisers with some touring and some sport bikes like a Bandit 1250. My go to bike for the last 22 years has been a Harley Heritage Softail, as basic as it gets. It has 124,00 on the clock and still runs good, but it lacks any creature comforts whatsoever. I feel like I have jumped through a time warp with the RT and all of the options the original owner had installed. Having speed control will help with tickets by keeping the speed down. It is coming up for the 12k service along with a new tire. Looking forward to many more miles, I have a summer trip scheduled for 14 days and 4k miles.

A9D1DA91-6925-4931-86B4-2839CFD847D2.jpeg

• Like 10
30 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Nice, that looks like it could be a Dragon pic? :thumbsup:

You would be correct, I am fortunate enough to live only 2.5 hours away, so I had to do a break in ride on a quiet Tuesday afternoon.

• Like 2

Nice ride!  Enjoy it! 

If you live in ATL like me, shop around for that 12k service.  A buddy just told me Wooly's raised their rate to $180/hr.  I'd consider Blue moon or even Pandora before I'd stomach that kind of hourly rate for car/bike service/repair.  That's actually on the verge of insulting in my view.

• Like 3
On 4/28/2021 at 9:14 AM, Speedy said:

Nice ride!  Enjoy it! 

If you live in ATL like me, shop around for that 12k service.  A buddy just told me Wooly's raised their rate to $180/hr.  I'd consider Blue moon or even Pandora before I'd stomach that kind of hourly rate for car/bike service/repair.  That's actually on the verge of insulting in my view.

I am closer to Greenville, that is where I plan to take it for the 12k service. I would like a dealer to look at it since it is a new bike to me. I plan on doing most of the servicing  myself after that. I have lived with Harley’s for many years, they rarely saw the dealership.

"It is coming up for the 12k service along with a new tire. Looking forward to many more miles, I have a summer trip scheduled for 14 days and 4k miles."

Wilinfla,

If you have not already, you might do some research or ask for opinions here on the tires for that bike.  The tires make a huge difference in the way BMW's handle and feel, not to mention mileage and cost.

You may want to do some research on dealers as there may be better options than Greenville.... just saying.

7 hours ago, Lowndes said:

"It is coming up for the 12k service along with a new tire. Looking forward to many more miles, I have a summer trip scheduled for 14 days and 4k miles."

Wilinfla,

If you have not already, you might do some research or ask for opinions here on the tires for that bike.  The tires make a huge difference in the way BMW's handle and feel, not to mention mileage and cost.

It has a new Pilot Road 4 GT on the rear and judging by the date on the front tire it is the original one so it needs to go. I plan to stick with 4 GT to match the rear at at this time.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RTinNC said:

You may want to do some research on dealers as there may be better options than Greenville.... just saying.

Suggestions?

2 minutes ago, Wilinfla said:

It has a new Pilot Road 4 GT on the rear and judging by the date on the front tire it is the original one so it needs to go. I plan to stick with 4 GT to match the rear at at this time.

Good choice!!

I've been a believer in the Michelin brand, PR 4 and 5, have tried others.  Currently have a PR5 on te rear and and a new 'stone T31 on the front of a '00 K1200RS.  Had to, to get home from the START in Maggie Valley two weeks ago trying to keep up with Chris K.  The PR4 went from "half way" to gone in three days, but it sure was fun!!  They don't get the best tire mileage when pushed hard but they inspire confidence and STICK, wet or dry.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Wilinfla said:

Suggestions?

Not sure of your location but Eurosport Asheville and Motorcycles of Charlotte are both good choices.  The Atlanta dealers used to be good but now I am not sure.  Also,  I believe there is a very good independent shop near Atlanta.  I will defer to the other folks closer to Atlanta to provide info. 

I suggest a Road 5 for the new tire. With the Road 5 Michelin finally figured out how to get a dual compound tire to wear symmetrically for the entire life of the tire. No lumps, bumps, and weird flat spots with even better wet weather performance than the legacy Pilot Road series.

2923621.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, dduelin said:

I suggest a Road 5 for the new tire. With the Road 5 Michelin finally figured out how to get a dual compound tire to wear symmetrically for the entire life of the tire. No lumps, bumps, and weird flat spots with even better wet weather performance than the legacy Pilot Road series.

2923621.jpg

I have a new set of PR4's waiting to be installed but assume my next set will be 5's so good to know they are as good or better than the 4's.  I have had good luck with the PR3's and PR4's both GT's. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I have managed to put a little over 1600 miles on so far. I installed Ilium risers and a Sargent seat with great results for me. I have done a 350 mile day with no issues. The ability to use Ram mounts on the risers is a plus.Foot position works good with no need for highway pegs so far. My other bike hasn’t moved.

E17F1BED-AA50-4299-B5A0-0D55510997CD.jpeg

0E724F72-2B79-4082-A45F-950A9BC7F55C.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Smile 1
fourteenfour

each time I see a garage floor like that I keep asking myself why I haven't done it yet at home

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

My tire decision was made for me by a nail in the rear tire. I plugged it, but I don’t want to start a trip with a plugged tire.Got the 12K service done today and 2 GT5’s put on. My wallet is thinner, but no worse than the Harley dealer.

• Like 3