IGNORED

Oil filter for the hexhead?

Pfestus1

I just did my first oil change on my '05 R1200RT. Without the proper NEW oilfilter wrench I was able to get the old filter off with a rubber strap wrench. I happen to have a couple of oil filters left from my R1100GS, so since I already have a wrench for that filter I put one of them on. They are taller than the correct oil filter, but does not hang below the engine. Any one see a problem with using the older style oil filter in the Hexhead?

Thanks!

You're kidding, right? On your new $20k+/- motorcycle you put an oil filter from a bike that's 2 generations old. Do the part numbers match? What might BMW say IF you have an engine problem and they find an incorrect filter? On the other hand, it might work, but again this is a new bike. Break down and get the proper filter for the bike. What are they, $13 or $14. dopeslap.gif

You're kidding, right? On your new $20k+/- motorcycle you put an oil filter from a bike that's 2 generations old. Do the part numbers match? What might BMW say IF you have an engine problem and they find an incorrect filter? On the other hand, it might work, but again this is a new bike. Break down and get the proper filter for the bike. What are they, $13 or $14. dopeslap.gif

Calm down Timmr, its not that I'm too cheap to buy a $13 "correct" filter, its just that I have a couple of filters left over from when I had an 1100GS, and I have a wrench for them. The filter from the GS does fit, and I plan to use it for at least the next 3000 miles. Actually the manager at my local dealership suggested that I could "probably" use the old GS's filters. I'm sure his suggestion wouldn't cut any weight in a warrenty issue dispute, but I did buy a correct filter, so hopefully if my engine blows I can get that filter in before I have it towed to the dealership cool.gif

You can get the correct BMW filters from Hammersley's for about $9 or $10. http://www.webparts.com/cycles/index.htm I deal with Frank there, and he is a good guy. Owns an R1200GS himself, and is very helpful.

Someone on ADVRider said that he took a filter down to the local Auto Zone store and was able to match up a wrench for only a couple of dollars.

thumbsup.gif

Archived