IGNORED

Panier will not re-attach to bike

RobCO80831

I took off my paniers to install some farkle on my 2016 and now one of the paniers will not latch back onto the bike. Taking about the mechanism, I see that the locking mechanism is "falling" out of the slot to keep it in place. Does anyone know if there is a way to keep the mechanism in place or do I have to spend $450 on a new locking mechanism (or $1000 for a new panier).

Thanks,

Rob

Img_0691 - The "Z" shaped lever has a post that a plastic bar (img_0695) slots into (imp_0692). This bar slides back and forth to allow the metal pins (Img_0695) to move up and down (it's a notched tunnel in the plastic). Img_0693 shows the metal post in it's position and in Img_0694 you can see the black plastic post that holds the bar in place. 

When I took my locking mechanism apart the first time, that metal notch was not in the post, there seems to be a lot of free play with that metal post and the notch. I don't see a place for a cotter pin to keep that metal notch from jumping off the metal post. 

When I tried to put the pannier back on my motorcycle, it will not lock in place due to that long plastic bar falling out of place. And this is the piece that from BMW is $400+ so I'd like to fix this piece and get the pannier back on my bike.

Thanks,

Rob 

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0694.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

I just finished this exact procedure on a 2009 RT . Patience is key . Until you understand the purpose of every single piece and how it fits into the big picture ,it will seem overwhelming . Start with either locking mechanism or the latching mechanism . We weren't able to find any assembly drawings anywhere ,even with an awesome dealer looking . Start with looking at what locks the bag to the rack or mounting bar bolted to the bike . Then look for what needs to move /slide to actuate that part ...

Take apart the other side and look for differences. Take lots of high resolution pictures as you do so, you'll want them for reference during re-assembly. Hi-res lets you zoom in to check tiny details. "Does this rod cross over or under that lever?" or "Does this spring hook go up or down?"

Clean out the old gritty grease and replace it while you are in there.

28 minutes ago, DakarTimm said:

I just finished this exact procedure on a 2009 RT . Patience is key . Until you understand the purpose of every single piece and how it fits into the big picture ,it will seem overwhelming . Start with either locking mechanism or the latching mechanism . We weren't able to find any assembly drawings anywhere ,even with an awesome dealer looking . Start with looking at what locks the bag to the rack or mounting bar bolted to the bike . Then look for what needs to move /slide to actuate that part ...

What I found was the black plastic posts seemed to have too much grease on them and would not slide up and down properly when I put mounted the pannier back to the bike. Cleaning up the grease allowed those posts to move freely which then allowed the long black plastic piece to move left to right properly. The black plastic posts move up and down and when they didn't slide up, it locked the black bar in place.

2 minutes ago, lkraus said:

Take apart the other side and look for differences. Take lots of high resolution pictures as you do so, you'll want them for reference during re-assembly. Hi-res lets you zoom in to check tiny details. "Does this rod cross over or under that lever?" or "Does this spring hook go up or down?"

Clean out the old gritty grease and replace it while you are in there.

I believe it was the grease that cause all my issues, cleaning that up got rid of the binding.  Thanks for your reply.

• Thanks 1

Nice work.  Thanks for the pics.  I think this makes a good reference for others who face a similar problem.  It might be helpful to rename the thread to facilitate searching for it.  Something with keywords like, "wethead RT Pannier sidecase disassembly repair."

thanks, Cap

Geez, that look liked it was as complex as figuring out a clock or shutter release mechanism.  Nice sleuthing job.  I'm curious though, why would plastic post need grease let alone that much?  Typically plastic bits slide well without lube.

• 3 weeks later...

I just had this happen yesterday, have had the bike two months, have had the cases on several times but usually ride without them.  Right case went on and latched fine, left case would not latch.  I read through this post, and took the ENTIRE thing apart as you did. One of the square sliding pieces that detect when the case is on the bike had worn, and didn't let the sliding bar move.  I futzed with it for a half hour, cleaned stuff, rubbed stuff, then finally took Bothe square pieces out.  The case does lock on as before, and the electric lock functions, the only difference is I can fold the handle down to latch when cases are off the bike.  I also found a screw missing, so someone had been here before.  Those individual piece are not available, its $435 for the entire latch/lock part.

• Plus 1 1