IGNORED

Dry Clutch Operation

TSConver

So still getting use to the new R1200RT but I am struggling with the clutch. Been used to wet clutches all my motorcycle life.  I often smell some clutch when taking off from a stop, what is the best rpm and clutch procedure for the boxer with a dry clutch?

29 minutes ago, TSConver said:

So still getting use to the new R1200RT but I am struggling with the clutch. Been used to wet clutches all my motorcycle life.  I often smell some clutch when taking off from a stop, what is the best rpm and clutch procedure for the boxer with a dry clutch?

Morning  TSConver

The best (make that most practical) is just high enough launch RPM to give you a smooth launch without excessive clutch slipping. 

The BMW dry clutch is pretty hardy but  you you don't want to slip it for very long or hold it in the gray zone for very long.

If you smell clutch burning then you are slipping it for to long.

It sounds a bit like you might be launching at a fixed RPM, THEN starting your acceleration. You need to start your clutch engagement at a lower RPM, then after the drivetrain slack is taken up keep adding a little more throttle as the clutch engages more (smooth, quick, SHORT) all in one fluid motion. 

Typically I don't slip the BMW dry clutch very much or for very long, if I need low speed control I kind of use a clutch lever pulsing in & out, in out, in & out across the engagement zone instead of continuous slipping. 

• Like 2

Agreed it was an adjustment , There is so much torque on tap you really don't need to slip it much just enough to not be jerky, agreed pulsing the clutch in parking lots and such works nice. 

szurszewski
7 hours ago, TSConver said:

Do you/can you drive a manual transmission car? If so, the advice I usually give is to treat these bikes the same way you’d treat a car.

D.R. of course gave a great explanation :)

54 minutes ago, szurszewski said:

Do you/can you drive a manual transmission car? If so, the advice I usually give is to treat these bikes the same way you’d treat a car.

D.R. of course gave a great explanation :)

Yep can drive anything manual.  Swore I read somewhere on the web to get the rpm up before you let out the clutch on these.  But it sounds like that was bad advice.  So bring it off idle and roll into as i let out the clutch.  

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, TSConver said:

So bring it off idle and roll into as i let out the clutch.  

Evening TSConver

That pretty well covers it.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Wow ... the power of old wives tales!

I've driven very few wet clutch motorcycles in my experience since the 1970s but never noticed clutch action any different--and never did anything different--than all the BMW boxers I've ridden.  Just ride.