IGNORED

"One Man on a Bike: Morocco Bound" Book Review

MotoNews

Published in: Media

One Man on a Bike Reivew intro

— Book Review by Sam Manicom —

I’d been aware of Richard Georgiou in the background of the overlanding world for some time, but until now I’d not read his books. This one is a gem.

The author describes himself as a “rather ordinary man who had an extraordinary adventure.” I disagree. Richard’s writing style shows that although he is far from ordinary, he is indeed just another guy, and this is one of the things that makes Morocco Bound a joy. There’s nothing stupidly gung-ho about it; he’s a thoughtful boundary stretcher with a brilliant sense of humor and a strong streak of optimism. Mix those qualities with curiosity, and the story begins.

Though his fourth book, and the man continues to have other adventures, this is actually the tale of his first big one. The story has a rather wonderful tang of wet behind the ears about it that made me relate and smile. I laughed so many times reading Morocco Bound that I found myself quoting parts to my girlfriend that had her laughing, too. Richard is a very genuine, amazingly honest, self-deprecating nut with a streak of adventure that has him dreaming, planning and going for it.

Morocco Bound Review FB

The planning stage is just enough to keep him out of trouble and to give him the chance to make the most of his journey on a Honda Transalp from the U.K. to Morocco, the western Sahara, and back. However, he does get into trouble, frequently, and those moments are significant—the magic parts of this story. For example, he gets shot at on the border between Morocco and Algeria, and loses his way in a minefield in the Sahara. He also describes how his childhood had a significant role in making him into the man he is today. I was fascinated with how Richard describes his childhood in that I never had the feeling he is bitter, boring or navel gazing. It’s an important part of the story that adds yet another important layer. The many other layers include his thoughts on his route, places visited, the challenges faced and how he dealt with them. It’s a book anyone who is thinking of riding through Morocco would do well to read.

I also value the way Richard treats others, and there are plenty of people stories woven into his tales, providing a great image of the different cultures he rides through. His descriptions of the riding and places are nicely done. There’s real talent here, and I felt like I was right there with him.

Richard Georgiou’s attitude, and willingness to have a go, make this a refreshingly genuine feel-good book. I happily recommend Morocco Bound (the first time) to anyone interested in overlanding by motorcycle, who wants to learn and be thoroughly entertained at the same time.

Morocco Bound Review Cover

OneManonaBike.com

Publisher: Self

Paperback $12.54 | Kindle $6.26

ISBN: 978-1-83853-594-0

ASIN: B08CZR4Z24

Where to Buy:

Amazon btn

xbk4LjsrpTA

View the full article