IGNORED

Mars - Ingenuity helicopter

chrisolson

On 4/17/2021 at 9:34 PM, Whip said:

10 feet for 30 seconds.

hmmmmm

Geraldo should narrate 

Maybe he'll finally find the real Al Capone's vault there.  What better place to hide stuff than Mars.

On 4/18/2021 at 12:34 AM, Whip said:

10 feet for 30 seconds.

hmmmmm

Geraldo should narrate 

Controlled from 38+ million miles away,.......fawk, I lose wi-fi signal in my driveway from time to time:dontknow:

• Haha 1

Yeah, a bit less than the 12 seconds for 120 feet the Wright brothers did.  But they only had to haul their aeroplane  680 miles safely for the first flight.  Hauling that little drone 180 million miles and landing it with the rover safely was amazing enough for me.  But for sure I will be just as wonder struck as I was as the 11 year old who saw men walk on the moon when this little helicopter takes off, even if it is only for 10 seconds and 30 feet.

fourteenfour
35 minutes ago, Rougarou said:

Controlled from 38+ million miles away,.......fawk, I lose wi-fi signal in my driveway from time to time:dontknow:

well lets be honest here, all they can do is tell it when to start and then they hope the program worked.

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Paul De said:

just completed its 10th flight and has now racked up more than a mile of distance.

Possibly a classic case of under-promise and over-deliver ... but in all ways, its certainly a triumph for the design team  .  :18:

Joe Frickin' Friday
23 hours ago, Paul De said:

It was only designed & planned to make 4 flights, but it just completed its 10th flight and has now racked up more than a mile of distance. I wonder if this drone will be able to operate for years like Opportunity did?

19 hours ago, chrisolson said:

Possibly a classic case of under-promise and over-deliver ... but in all ways, its certainly a triumph for the design team  .  :18:

We spent a lot of money to get it there, so it made sense to make it extremely reliable to assure it can complete its intended mission.  The upshot of that is the strong chance of being able to go into bonus rounds.  

The gold standard for longevity, near as I can tell, is the Voyager mission.  43+ years after launch, they are now outside of the solar system and still functional.  They're expected to last a few more years before their power supplies become just too weak to keep things running.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voyager_2

3 hours ago, Joe Frickin' Friday said:

The gold standard for longevity, near as I can tell, is the Voyager mission.  43+ years after launch, they are now outside of the solar system and still functional.  They're expected to last a few more years before their power supplies become just too weak to keep things running.

I think you are right, and sending interesting and useful data from outside the heliosphere on the nature of interstellar space.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/news/details.php?article_id=122

43+ years and still working is amazing. Not sure these days if it is feasible to launch a nuclear fueled satellites to space without a public uproar, but solar panels would have pooped out long ago.