IGNORED

New(to me)2003 R1150RT

WickedMonkey

WickedMonkey

Hi! My name is Jason and I'm in Michigan. I was lucky enough to grab a used bike that appears to be well take care of. I didn't really know I was looking for a sport touring bike, let alone a BMW until I saw this beauty at what seemed to be a great price. Just under 75K miles on the ODO I think there are many more miles to go. I am really glad I found this site because I plan to do most of my own maintenance and also know what a good resource groups like this can be. I also thought maybe I could find the previous owner of this bike(I bought it from a non-BMW dealer) here. In the pictures you'll see the inside of the trunk lid that holds a number of stickers that I am sure are as good as a fingerprint.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and maybe putting on some miles with some of you!

2021-04-16 07.49.46.jpg

2021-04-16 07.51.12.jpg

Welcome to the forum.   Nice looking  RT you have there.   I also see the previous owner had a slight STICKER OBSESSION.   Hope you enjoy your new ride.  There are a few board members from your great state.

Cheers,

Wow.  Looks like someone was taking very good care of the bike. 

75K isn't much mileage for these bikes.  I'd guess the PO would like to know  "who's riding her now", too.  He may have a wealth of info like what to do and when to do it for the bike. You could ask the dealer to relay a message to him with your contact info.  If he has any gumption, he will be glad to do that.

What brand are those seats, if I can ask??

I had one just like it. :thumbsup:  

Except I didn’t have a top case. And, I didn’t have the over sized pannier lids. Ok, no cylinder guards either. :classic_blush: But I did have a Sargent Seat! :yes: Oh, I see you don’t have a Sargent. :classic_ohmy: Now, other than those little differences, it was exactly the same! :classic_biggrin:

Welcome to the board! :wave:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
WickedMonkey

I did think of asking the dealer to pass on my info if they could. I will probably do that when they open again Monday.

I believe the seats are stock bases but have been recovered. Not sure how to tell.

• Like 1

My very first (and only, so far) BMW motorcycle is an '03 R1150RT I bought a little more than 2 years ago. It's been a very rewarding experience. Welcome to the joy!

• Like 2

Beautiful RT!  Mine is the same in the fastest Blue color! 

You must be made aware of a few pitfalls that a bike of this age can have.  Most notably brake lines, fuel quick-disconnects, clutch slave cylinders that leak and trash the clutch, etc.  There is  wealth of information on the Oilheads forum here.  All of these items are best handled pre-emptively. 

ciao

Bob

IMG_4305.JPG

• Like 1
On 4/17/2021 at 4:20 PM, WickedMonkey said:

Hi! My name is Jason and I'm in Michigan. I was lucky enough to grab a used bike that appears to be well take care of. I didn't really know I was looking for a sport touring bike, let alone a BMW until I saw this beauty at what seemed to be a great price. Just under 75K miles on the ODO I think there are many more miles to go. I am really glad I found this site because I plan to do most of my own maintenance and also know what a good resource groups like this can be. I also thought maybe I could find the previous owner of this bike(I bought it from a non-BMW dealer) here. In the pictures you'll see the inside of the trunk lid that holds a number of stickers that I am sure are as good as a fingerprint.

Looking forward to interacting with you all and maybe putting on some miles with some of you!

2021-04-16 07.49.46.jpg

2021-04-16 07.51.12.jpg

Welcome. Many of us here from the Great Lakes State.

I like the stickers. I've been to Oswald's in the U.P., BRP, M22 and the lovely SS. Badger ferry that crosses Lake Michigan. With only 75k, you've got a long ways to go before wearing out that motor. 110k on my '04.

• Like 1

Welcome.  I had an '04 RT in Silver.  I love the Blue.  You have purchased the sexiest motorcycle BMW ever made.  Enjoy the ride.