IGNORED

1150 RT with Break Warning light taped over. Should I buy?

ghofvt

After a long stint of 2 wheel celibacy I am returning to the fold.  

I have an option to buy a 2002 1150 RT, 22K miles very clean, $4000.00.   Only issue is the owner taped over the ABS warning light because it annoyed him.   In reading reviews it appear the ABS Breaking system has some known issued and is VERY EXPENSIVE to fix and can cause some serious safety issues.

Do I walk away and keep looking?

38 minutes ago, ghofvt said:

I have an option to buy a 2002 1150 RT, 22K miles very clean, $4000.00.   Only issue is the owner taped over the ABS warning light because it annoyed him.   In reading reviews it appear the ABS Breaking system has some known issued and is VERY EXPENSIVE to fix and can cause some serious safety issues.

Afternoon ghofvt

It depends-- 

Might be something simple wrong with the ABS system (or could be an expensive repair)

If you are handy with tools it is not a big deal to remove the ABS & servo assist braking system but you pretty well have to do that yourself as most repair shops won't do it for liability reasons. 

The BMW 1150 with removed ABS system gives you very good conventional braking.

With a unknown ABS issue that $4000.00 sounds pretty darn high.

Personally, I would offer considerably less money as you will have to deal with that ABS problem after purchase.   

I bought a 1150RT In 2017 with similar mileage and 100% functional ABS for $2,500.00.    If you want ABS I’d keep looking.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Gary E Reynolds said:

Might be a bad lamp. Check your break light and your tail light.

Morning Gary

The brake or tail light not working will not bring the dash Brake Warning light on. A malfunctioning brake or tail light will only bring the yellow general warning light on. 

Gary E Reynolds

Interesting, my lamp warning light is a red triangle lamp. Do the brake servos make any noise? Whining noise when you apply the brakes? 

• 4 weeks later...
Brian Scott

As Dirtrider points out, switching to conventional brakes and eliminating the problematic ABS servo system is really really easy, and I wish I would have known this a month ago prior to chasing rabbits down dark holes along with ample weeping and gnashing of teeth (I tried buying a used servo but that didn’t work, plus it frittered away a grand). I wouldn’t even consider spending money on the ABS servo- the part alone is $2,750 (MSRP US). Conventional brakes feel better as well. I’m no Luddite...ABS is safer if it can be made functional, but no sense in basically “totaling” a perfectly good RT with plenty of life left.

On 4/17/2021 at 2:38 PM, ghofvt said:

If you really want a piece of tape you can purchase much cheaper without bike attached