IGNORED

Front Wheel R&R

narcosis

This is the sixth time I've removed and re-installed the front wheel and the following step always bothers me.  When re-installing the front wheel, before tightening the axle, the manual states "Firmly compress the front forks several times." after taking the bike off the center stand.  Okay, how?  The only suspension movement I can get with my weight is when it's set as soft as possible, and then it's not much.  How are other folks doing this?
47 minutes ago, dduelin said:

Hold the front brake while seated and pump the front suspension up and down. Is this what you mean?

Yes, that's what I've always done but it doesn't feel like the forks are compressing much.  Maybe it doesn't take much.  Is the test to ride with no hands and if the bike tracks straight then you've got it right?  :dontknow:

The ignition should be on. Believe it or not, somehow the suspension is locked until either the key is turned or ignition button pushed.

1 hour ago, narcosis said:

Yes, that's what I've always done but it doesn't feel like the forks are compressing much.  Maybe it doesn't take much.  Is the test to ride with no hands and if the bike tracks straight then you've got it right?  :dontknow:

Evening narcosis

No, it has nothing to do with tracking as it is a single track vehicle. It has more to do with centering the forks on the axle so there is no side load therefore no binding or stiction in the forks during compression. 

• Thanks 1

I wasn't aware of the suspension being locked when the ignition switch is off...how do you lock a spring? Before tightening the axle nut and pinch bolts, I roll the bike a few feet and hit the front brake. Remember to pump the lever to restore brake function or this could end badly.

When having the bike tied down to a trailer and understanding the tie down placement on the fork crossmember. It seems there would be a lot of weight (as you hit road irregularities) pounding down on the system that locks the spring. No?

What is the purpose or benefit of this lock system? Never explored an answer to that nagging question till now. :classic_biggrin:

It is not the spring that gets ‘locked’ on the ESA bikes.  When the ignition is off the damping, front and rear, go to full hard.  When power is applied the shocks are powered to the damping level selected.

• Like 3