IGNORED

Canbus Power Issue?

DaveTheAffable

DaveTheAffable

I installed my Zumo XT GPS today using the accessory plug close to the triple head which I understand is there for things such as GPS.

The problem is, it has constant power to it.  The GPS does not go into shutdown mode even after many minutes, because there is power still present even after I turn off the key.  I confirmed this by removing the GPS from the holder and checking power at the pins that support the GPS. (The Zumo XT cable converts 12 V to 5 V, and it was still there).  I even checked for codes with a Gs 11, and I have a bad TPMS sensor, and no longer have heated seats. Other than that no codes.

EDIT - Well, now its off.  Maybe intermittent. Looks like I have more troubleshooting to do.

What are the possible reasons canbus would do this?

MontanaMark

Dave,

I believe that the canbus shuts down everything after about 30 seconds.  I found this out on my 2013 RT when I had my phone charger plugged into the accessory port.  I just left it there, thinking is would charge while I was talking to a buddy.  When I went to take off, I noticed the phone was not charging.  I turned on the key and the phone started charging, just like if the engine was running.  I turned off the key and it kept charging, then shut off after 20-30 seconds.  I didn't actually time it, so just a guesstimate. 

I'm sure DR will have a more definitive answer.

BTW- I have my zumo wired directly to the battery.  I WANT it to stay on when I stop for gas, food, etc.  When I'm done for the day, I dismount it and stick it in a side case or take it into the hotel with me.

Cheers,

Mark

13 hours ago, DaveTheAffable said:

I installed my Zumo XT GPS today using the accessory plug close to the triple head which I understand is there for things such as GPS.

The problem is, it has constant power to it.  The GPS does not go into shutdown mode even after many minutes, because there is power still present even after I turn off the key.  I confirmed this by removing the GPS from the holder and checking power at the pins that support the GPS. (The Zumo XT cable converts 12 V to 5 V, and it was still there).  I even checked for codes with a Gs 11, and I have a bad TPMS sensor, and no longer have heated seats. Other than that no codes.

EDIT - Well, now its off.  Maybe intermittent. Looks like I have more troubleshooting to do.

What are the possible reasons canbus would do this?

Morning Dave

First thing, this has nothing to do with the CanBus as CanBus just carries information but doesn't control or time-out anything.

Different type loads on the ZFE module (chassis computer)  controlled accessory circuit  (GPS circuit)  can cause different reactions to the load time-out.

My guess is your problem has something to do with that GPS  12v to 5v power converter making the ZFE think that circuit should be kept alive longer than you expect.

Most that hook a GPS to that steering neck (ZFE controlled) plug just hook a 12v-in device to that circuit. Your converter cable does add a different type load.

You might start your troubleshooting by just leaving everything as is (with GPS in cradle) then seeing exactly how long it takes the ZFE  to shut that circuit down. (could take up to 1/2 hour with certain type loads). If the ZFE thinks that 12v to 5v converter is a battery charger then it might never shut it down. 

Then once it does shut down (if it does in fact shut down on it's own) make sure it doesn't come back alive when the GPS times out on internal battery power (with some GPS's the GPS will power back up on internal battery power when  the ZFE controlled accessory circuit finally switches off 12v power).     

If the above doesn't tell you anything then next try removing that 12v to 5v  converter cable then putting a test light or voltmeter on that steering neck plug to see if it goes off in a reasonable time after key-off. If it does then you will have to find another way to run your GPS. 

You can probably make up a "special" GPS feed cable that is fused  battery direct to power your GPS 12v to 5v converter then put a little power relay in that "special" feed cable  so just the power relay part (only) is controlled by that steering neck power plug. 

Personally I would probably find another place to  power my GPS (plus the 12v to 5v converter) that is less load sensitive.

The length of time that circuit remains active after "ignition off" does seem to vary a lot.  Mine can stay on for two to five minutes, and I've seen reports of 30 minutes.  I don't worry about it, eventually the circuit has always shut down. On the other hand, if I want it to stay alive, maybe to keep enjoying music from my Zumo while refueling, it will shut down in less than a minute.:ohboy:

Cutting off the XT power with the ignition key only puts the GPS in a sleep mode, which uses the internal battery.  If you really want it off, you need to press and hold the XT power button until it asks for shutdown confirmation.

DaveTheAffable

Good info from you guys!  I have auxillary LED brake lights (Skene) that are powered from the rear din auxillary power.  They always stayed on for 30 seconds after I turned bike off.  I thought it was power "bleed down".  LOL.

Now I see that the LED's were staying on also if I left the ZUMO on.  That sure points to the ZFE timing.

I'll do some more testing, maybe re-wiring.