Jump to content

Trans Continental Divide Trail


Recommended Posts

In high school, it was my best friend and my wish to ride the width of the US.  The trail is called the TAT and there are GPS routes for this route.  It takes 5 weeks minimum to ride that trail.  In the process of researching it, I found the continental divide trail.  It is 3 weeks and 3300 miles long.  I'm going to ride that this summer.  My BF from high school kind of turned into a wuss, and despite owning a KLR 650, being 59 years old and in excellent shape and health, has declined to ride it because his girl friend won't let him.   I talked to some of you about doing it but due to a variety of reasons, I couldn't get any takers.  So, I needed to grow some motorcycle riders and asked my sons how would they like to ride the trail.  Despite being novices, two of them said yes.  They are both Eagle scouts and have have hundreds of camping days in the wilderness, just not on the back of a bike.  The older one just bought his motorcycle two days ago.   He's been practicing on the TW200 that I bought and is scheduled to take the MSF class next week.  The photo is of Austin's new KTM 790 Adventure.  The youngest one, still in college really can't afford to buy a bike and I still owed him a car, so I bought him a KTM 790 Adventure.  It get's uncrated and setup next Wednesday.  He's scheduled to take the MSF in May.  Both have been training for over a month and it's looking real good.

I plan on bringing them along to Torrey.  They will both have their M1s by then and riding Cathedral Valley will be a good preview of what's to come.  Larry will enjoy talking to them, as they are two times funnier and smarter than I am.  :-)

On July 24th, we will be leaving for the trip.  We will be at the Antelope Wells border crossing on the 25th and the ride will begin.  I'm really, really stoked.  It's going to be epic.  I'm going to ask for a list of phone numbers that I can call in the event we run into trouble that we are unable to handle on the trail.  I am also open to other riders joining us for the trip or segments of the trip.  I will post a map of the route shortly.

5E5AAE12-3D1D-4857-9F90-BE808BD2829D.jpeg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Stir said:

because his girl friend won't let him

 

Fire her! :spittake:
 

Sounds like a grand time and a forever memory maker! :thumbsup:

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
roadscholar

Tires, get some kind of knobbies, don't have to be super gnarly but like a 50/50 maybe. I haven't done the ride but talked to a few on the trails in Colorado that were (and read plenty of reports), some sections in NM can be nearly impassable when wet. Don't remember if Hagerman Pass (Colorado) is on it but there's a road on the west side like that too, red clay and somewhat steep, it's a no go when wet. 

 

Edit, just looked, Hagerman isn't on the main route. I've ridden nearly all the Colorado sections from Chama, NM to north of Steamboat Springs, if you've never seen the CD in Co. from a dirtbike I'd suggest slowing down a little and taking it all in, it is beautiful. 

 

IMG_1368.JPG

 

IMG_1266.JPG  

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
BendBill

What a cool dad. :18:   You will all treasure that ride.  My sons and grandsons still talk fondly of our first week-long trip [ pic from around 2014 ] 

download.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Rob Nowell

None of you will ever forget this voyage.  I wish you the very best:  Here's to decent weather, safe trails, and good health all the way!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, roadscholar said:

Tires, get some kind of knobbies, don't have to be super gnarly but like a 50/50 maybe. I haven't done the ride but talked to a few on the trails in Colorado that were (and read plenty of reports), some sections in NM can be nearly impassable when wet. Don't remember if Hagerman Pass (Colorado) is on it but there's a road on the west side like that too, red clay and somewhat steep, it's a no go when wet. 

 

Edit, just looked, Hagerman isn't on the main route. I've ridden nearly all the Colorado sections from Chama, NM to north of Steamboat Springs, if you've never seen the CD in Co. from a dirtbike I'd suggest slowing down a little and taking it all in, it is beautiful. 

 

IMG_1368.JPG

 

IMG_1266.JPG  

 

 

 

 

A bit concerned about tire availability.  I've watched some videos on the route and some do warn about wet weather in New Mexico.  

You say 50/50, but what are your thoughts on 80/20s?

 

Michael

Link to comment
roadscholar
10 hours ago, Stir said:

 

 

A bit concerned about tire availability.  I've watched some videos on the route and some do warn about wet weather in New Mexico.  

You say 50/50, but what are your thoughts on 80/20s?

 

Michael

 

I think 80/20 is what I meant, I'm not that hip on the tire lingo/ratio thing : ) I've usually just run what the bike came with (which has it's consequences) but haven't planned an epic 5000 mile trip either. I’d probably go with a TKC80 but a lot of good alternatives have come along since they debuted 20 years ago, although they come standard on 701’s and I think 690’s which says something. Dunlop 606’s are pretty good too but they’re noisy onroad. 

 

IMG_1224.JPG

 

The point is trying to find something that can churn thru mud but is also hard enough compound to last the whole trip but I don't know if that's possible. I'll check with some of the guys here that probably will though. There are a couple long distance dirt riders on Advrider you could PM that would know too, Big Dog Adventures or RTW Paul, I'm sure both would be glad to give an opinion. Also @big-t  and @Kenny Haynes here might throw in, they've done the TAT a few times and ridden most of the central Rockies.

 

Another idea is to dropship tires and have them mounted in route. There used to be a really good guy in Buena Vista (Sean) but don't know if he still has his shop, Larry would know. Also the Jeep rental place in Salida (Rocky Mtn Jeep, Craig - they ride dirtbikes) is a good resource for almost anything. There's a good motorcycle shop in Kremmling too (Alpine Motorsports) they're all dirt enthusiasts and the route goes right thru there. Might be a good place to hang out a day or so anyway, it’s an authentic cowboy town unlike the foofoo ski resorts plus those guys can point out or show you some really nice riding areas close by.

 

https://www.alpinemotorsportsinc.com/service-repair-atvs-utvs-motorcycles-dealership--service

 

https://reviewmotors.co/best-80-20-dual-sport-motorcycle-tires/

 

On second thought, with TKC80’s you might get by replacing just the back tire on the 1290,  that beast likely eats rears pretty quick  (I know, I rode it one time : ) my 1150 would go thru a rear in about 3k, front was usually good for 8 or 9.

 

    

  • Like 1
Link to comment
szurszewski

I want really good before and after pics of the bikes. I know for sure I would add a lot of “character” to any bike I took on a ride like that. 
 

I think we talked about this a little bit last fall (but maybe you still don’t remember who I am ;) ) - it sounded like a great family adventure. I’m glad you’re going ahead - in fact, I think you should send your buddy’s girlfriend a nice thank you gift card for pushing you to do this ride with your boys. 
 

Anyway - very much looking forward to updates, and sorry I won’t be in Torrey to see you all riding together. 

 

PS: you gonna put all three bikes in here? I think there’s room...

 

image.thumb.jpeg.b3acb151f5057879201babd34125ea6c.jpeg

 

 

Link to comment
12 hours ago, longjohn said:

I don’t remember if you have a helmet cam, but if you don’t,  I recommend getting one to help document your trip. I have a gopro that is chin mounted and set to time lapse with which I took these at fall Torrey. You are in one or two of them. 
https://www.bmwsporttouring.com/topic/98241-torrey-fall-2020-post-your-pics/

 

I have a Go Pro mounted on my helmet and I bought a DJI drone to document the epic panoramas.  :-)

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, szurszewski said:

I want really good before and after pics of the bikes. I know for sure I would add a lot of “character” to any bike I took on a ride like that. 
 

I think we talked about this a little bit last fall (but maybe you still don’t remember who I am ;) ) - it sounded like a great family adventure. I’m glad you’re going ahead - in fact, I think you should send your buddy’s girlfriend a nice thank you gift card for pushing you to do this ride with your boys. 
 

Anyway - very much looking forward to updates, and sorry I won’t be in Torrey to see you all riding together. 

 

PS: you gonna put all three bikes in here? I think there’s room...

 

 

 

 


Hey!  Yeah, we are going for it.  I am bringing the boys and their bikes to Torrey.  Cathedral Valley will make a good short run.

Sorry we won't see you at Torrey.  I bought a trailer that I thought was large enough for three bikes.  It's not.  So the 1290 will go back in the truck and the two 790s will be in the trailer. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
szurszewski
6 hours ago, Stir said:

So the 1290 will go back in the truck and the two 790s will be in the trailer. 


Style points if you can use the trailer as a jump ramp for loading the 1290...

 

 

Link to comment
17 hours ago, szurszewski said:


Style points if you can use the trailer as a jump ramp for loading the 1290...

 

 

I got a round of applause for just getting it in the back.  :-)

Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Stir said:

I got a round of applause for just getting it in the back.  :-)


Were you worried about the wind ripping the shield off the bike having it backed onto the truck? 

Link to comment
5 hours ago, TEWKS said:


Were you worried about the wind ripping the shield off the bike having it backed onto the truck? 

 

It's a KTM.  :-)    But, it was positioned that way so I could get it unloaded myself when I got home.  I only had a very short ramp.  I've since replaced it with a 12 foot Black Widow.  I can load and unload by myself, all day long.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
lawnchairboy

that is great, I'm jealous.  ENJOY IT ALL.  post lots of pics.  good luck. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Rob Nowell
On 4/18/2021 at 2:16 PM, Stir said:

 

It's a KTM.  :-)    But, it was positioned that way so I could get it unloaded myself when I got home.  I only had a very short ramp.  I've since replaced it with a 12 foot Black Widow.  I can load and unload by myself, all day long.

I've got a short ramp, too.  Recently found out the wife had replaced me!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
On 4/21/2021 at 9:18 AM, Bud said:

Need the GPS files and maps. Yours for the asking.

 

 

Should have been: Do you need the GPS files and maps?

  • Like 1
Link to comment

My go to tires for dualsporting especially in the west .are Perelli MT21 fronts and the Motoz tractionator or adventures  if they are available in the size you need.plenty of grip and wear very well,although Rocky mtn atv also makes a Tusk tire that is supposed be very similar and somewhat cheaper,but I haven't tried them yet.None of these are great for dealing with the slippery mud in New  Mexico.Its like standing in 4 inches of grease and from experience its almost impossible to pick your bike up by yourself

In 2012 A friend of mine and myself covered some of the same area you will be passing thru

.We dropped south of Denver at a rally and picked our way south to the headwaters of the Rio Grande and followed it to Albuquerque and returned by way of the CDT.Here are some pics that will show you some of the territory you will be in.

https://big-t.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Colorado-2012/

 

we ran into some dude on a yellow bike some of you may have seen before :classic_biggrin:

 

 

Link to comment
roadscholar

Great pics big-t, hadn't seen most of those, heard one of the stories a few times tho  :grin:

 

IMG_0287.JPG

 

 

Link to comment
**   Chris   **
On 4/15/2021 at 1:04 PM, roadscholar said:

Tires, get some kind of knobbies, don't have to be super gnarly but like a 50/50 maybe. I haven't done the ride but talked to a few on the trails in Colorado that were (and read plenty of reports), some sections in NM can be nearly impassable when wet. Don't remember if Hagerman Pass (Colorado) is on it but there's a road on the west side like that too, red clay and somewhat steep, it's a no go when wet. 

 

Edit, just looked, Hagerman isn't on the main route. I've ridden nearly all the Colorado sections from Chama, NM to north of Steamboat Springs, if you've never seen the CD in Co. from a dirtbike I'd suggest slowing down a little and taking it all in, it is beautiful. 

 

IMG_1368.JPG

 

IMG_1266.JPG  Is that me on my 690?

 

 

 

Link to comment
roadscholar
1 hour ago, ** Chris ** said:

Is that me on my 690?

 

No it was Kenny Haynes on his 950. This is you and lcb but we never saw you again after that : )

 

IMG_2309.JPG

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
18 hours ago, ** Chris ** said:

Bike is finally fixed. Now!

LOL.  Didn't know it was broken.

 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...