IGNORED

Knees in the Breeze

Dennis Andress

Dennis Andress

The first day out was gorgeous. Even the bike got into the day and was returning over 220 miles from of a tank of gas, where 180 is typical.  

i-QH2gLxs-X2.jpg

The Navajo near Kayenta, Arizona are the graffiti  masters! Nearly every ransacked building had some good art.

20210412_153936-XL.jpg

The second day out was pretty crappy, cold with nasty crosswinds, and  I  discovered I'd blown the fuse to my  Gerbings, which isn't a roadside fix.

To be continued...

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Smile 2
  • Sad 1
Dennis Andress

Low 40's and drizzle all morning, followed by low 50's and drizzle. I won't be able to  fix the blown fuse until this weekend so I  warmed up the  old fashioned way: I stopped at a laundermat and put my riding gear in a dryer.

I found this in eastern New  Mexico

20210414_091009-X2.jpg

• Like 3
Dennis Andress

At my sister's place in Willis, Texas for the weekend. Time to change that fuse...

20210415_132531-X2.jpg

• Like 3
Dennis Andress

I was an avionics tech and aircraft electrician for many years. I have a bit of an attitude about wiring. For one I don't  like to add wires to battery terminals. Why weaken the termination with the  highest current flow? On the K13 I got 12 volts positive at the alternator and ground at one of the starter  bolts, which live under the  gas tank. Unfortunately the fuse  holder on the Gerbings wiring harness I used is located just  a couple of inches away for its positive terminal. Which led to my questionable decision of putting the fuse under the tank. (I'm proud of my work and haven't blown a fuse in all of my  remaining memory.)

I took the tupperware and tank off this morning...

20210416_112643-M.jpg

Only to discover the fuse was good

20210416_112638-X2.jpg

Two  of  my nephews, who are now all grown up adults, were fascinated by the innards of a K Bike so the work  wasn't wasted. :14:

I called a couple local shops looking for a new controller but as I'm less than  100 miles from Houston heated gear isn't much known. So I sat down and studied my controller and soon discovered one of the coaxial connectors was badly corroded. I cleaned it up and viola! I have heat!

One of my nephews plans on getting his Road King out of the shop tomorrow and wants to go riding with me. So I have that to look  forward to...

• Like 3
szurszewski
2 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

One of my nephews plans on getting his Road King out of the shop tomorrow and wants to go riding with me. So I have that to look  forward to...

That sounds like a good time!

Locating fuses that are not easily accessible kind of defeats the purpose...

I know you know!

Congrats on finding the fix, have a fun ride with your nephew, sounds great.

Dennis Andress
17 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Locating fuses that are not easily accessible kind of defeats the purpose...

I know you know!

Congrats on finding the fix, have a fun ride with your nephew, sounds great.

I agree, but (There's always a but): Adventure is what happens when your plans go awry.  This little adventure was quality time with family I don't often visit.

Dennis Andress

I think my bike is a dud. I rode and rode and rode until the sunset yesterday and didn't even make 400 miles. What's up with that? 

20210419_133148-X2.jpg

20210419_182317-X2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

I think my bike is a dud. I rode and rode and rode until the sunset yesterday and didn't even make 400 miles. What's up with that? 

20210419_133148-X2.jpg

20210419_182317-X2.jpg

Dennis, I find nothing wrong with that!

• Haha 1
Dennis Andress
12 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Dennis, I find nothing wrong with that!

It's a K Bike! BMW once published  an ad saying  it is possible to cross  4 time zones in a single day.

Dennis... not sure if you are still in Texas. If you are I would be happy to loan you a coaxial connector or controller for the rest of your trip

my bike is going into shop in the morning so if you need anything holler

Willis is about 50 miles from me. I keep a boat there on Lake Conroe. Sounds like you might be passing through Houston though

Dennis Andress
1 hour ago, Skywagon said:

Dennis... not sure if you are still in Texas. If you are I would be happy to loan you a coaxial connector or controller for the rest of your trip

my bike is going into shop in the morning so if you need anything holler

Willis is about 50 miles from me. I keep a boat there on Lake Conroe. Sounds like you might be passing through Houston though

Thanks. I got it working well enough. I'm long gone from Texas too. 😁

On 4/16/2021 at 7:03 PM, Dennis Andress said:

I was an avionics tech and aircraft electrician for many years. I have a bit of an attitude about wiring. For one I don't  like to add wires to battery terminals. Why weaken the termination with the  highest current flow? On the K13 I got 12 volts positive at the alternator and ground at one of the starter  bolts, which live under the  gas tank. Unfortunately the fuse  holder on the Gerbings wiring harness I used is located just  a couple of inches away for its positive terminal. Which led to my questionable decision of putting the fuse under the tank. (I'm proud of my work and haven't blown a fuse in all of my  remaining memory.)

I took the tupperware and tank off this morning...

20210416_112643-M.jpg

Only to discover the fuse was good

20210416_112638-X2.jpg

Two  of  my nephews, who are now all grown up adults, were fascinated by the innards of a K Bike so the work  wasn't wasted. :14:

I called a couple local shops looking for a new controller but as I'm less than  100 miles from Houston heated gear isn't much known. So I sat down and studied my controller and soon discovered one of the coaxial connectors was badly corroded. I cleaned it up and viola! I have heat!

I recommend you use a circuit breaker instead of a fuse.  I only use curcuit breakers on my wiring for heated gear, battery tender, and power for my phone or Amplirider.  They fit into the same fuse holder...you just can't put the rubber cover of it.  This has never created a problem.  It is too easy to short out when you are plugging and unplugging.  The circuit breakers solve this problem.  Avalable in most every auto parts store in various amp sizes.

71200_primary_450px.jpg

• Like 3
Dennis Andress
51 minutes ago, RandyShields said:

I love it when these electrical engineering guys talk tech!

Did you hear that @edd? The lowly circuit breaker just got elevated to Tech 😐

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Dennis Andress said:

Did you hear that @edd? The lowly circuit breaker just got elevated to Tech 😐

And I'm now an electrical engineer.

Incidentally, this was my Facebook profile picture for several years.

1029960-1414722937-477897.jpg

• Haha 3
Dennis Andress

Day 7

I was 19 and in the Air Force attending school in Biloxi, Mississippi when I bought my first motorcycle, a Honda 500 4. Shortly thereafter I rode it to Vicksburg for no other reason then I could. I spent most of the day  checking out the Vicksburg Memorial and made the fateful discovery that I  enjoyed traveling by motorcycle and would do as much of it as I  could. It was nice to be back.

20210420_083451-X2.jpg 

The USS Cairo

20210420_091546-X2.jpg

I also saw the Natchez Trace on that trip, but in 1978 it was little more than a paved cow trail. This time it sucked me in and I rode about 300 miles of it. I'll trade Zion National Park for the Trace, if anyone is interested...

20210420_120502-X2.jpg

• Like 5
Dennis Andress

START was a fast four days. I made new friends, forgotten most names, and can only guess at board names. Most importantly I have the new perspective I came for. Thanks for your hospitality and understanding. Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll  be back. 

i-wB3ThTG-X2.jpg

• Like 9
48 minutes ago, Dennis Andress said:

START was a fast four days. I made new friends, forgotten most names, and can only guess at board names. Most importantly I have the new perspective I came for. Thanks for your hospitality and understanding. Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll  be back. 

i-wB3ThTG-X2.jpg

I hope you will be back, because I would really like to meet you one day! Safe travels and return for one of the next events.

• Like 1

The creek by The Creekside Lodge only rose a foot, so we are good.  

It was great to meet you, Dennis.   I hope you enjoy your journey.  Safe travels.  

See you in the Fall.

Dennis Andress

This sure is a beautiful part of the  world...

i-ZkStmfW-X2.jpg

... even when  it's wet and cold all  day.

i-wvShb9q-XL.jpg

Monday was a much nicer day.

i-nTGKNhR-X2.jpg

Never underestimate the vale of an old GPS that can't  find  its way.

i-pRLSFf5-X2.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Dennis Andress

BMWST is  a wonderful  place! I'm hanging out at a members house on the Outer Banks for a couple of days.

i-kSxDR22-X4.jpg

Dawn.  The real reason I came east.

i-dC8zS8g-X2.jpg

• Like 8

Glad we got to ride together on BRP and lunch at Pisgah Inn on Thursday, Dennis.  If your travels bring you through Nashville, look @David and me up!

Jim

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Dennis Andress said:

BMWST is  a wonderful  place! I'm hanging out at a members house on the Outer Banks for a couple of days.

Dawn.  The real reason I came east.

i-dC8zS8g-X2.jpg

Nicely balanced Dawn photograph Dennis. :thumbsup: Nice way to start the day!

Safe travels.

• Like 1

Went for a coastal ride a few days ago. Thought I might slow Dennis down by putting him on Linda’s scooter. No ....... it didn’t work

162C9F28-46DA-4336-A7A5-2B42233D591C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Dennis Andress

Dave, thanks for  sharing the special place you live in with me. 

i-BkzR9m2-X2.jpg

The last thing left on my todo list was to visit my nephew in Clarksville, Tn. I spent Friday night in Knoxville so it wasn't that far. Somehow I managed to ride 400 miles of Tennessee and Kentucky backroads, and to arrive late. Bummer.

i-H7LcCqM-X2.jpg

i-zZqKmZR-X3.jpg

• Like 7

Dennis:  I've read your posts in the past, but after meeting you in person at START, I can put a face to your words, which makes reading your posts more special.  Ride safe!  jb

• Like 4
Dennis Andress

Day 21. I spent last night in  Wichita intending to follow US 50 through Colorado, and  to visit Gunnison again. The  first thing I did when the hotel room alarm went off this morning was to check  the  weather. It was raining in Colorado with temps in the high  30's and low 40's. Which meant snow. I went back to bed with thoughts of staying another  night in Wichita. I got up an hour or so  later and decided to head southwest, below the storm. It was a good ride,  until the thunderstorm caught me. Oh well, tomorrow will be a  better day.

• Like 4
Dennis Andress

The miles went by and before I knew it I'm home. I'll be back, but with the S1000 XR in a trailer :yes:

i-QRt5hz6-X2.jpg

i-sbkRWKw-X2.jpg

• Like 6

Thank you for joining us at the 2021 START. I am glad to see you arrived home safe and sound. :wave: 
I hope you can make the journey again in the fall or next spring. 

• Like 2

Dennis , Glad you made it home safe and sound. Hopefully our paths will cross again in the future.

Dennis Andress

I put this PR5 tire on two or three weeks before leaving. What vague records I keep claim it has traveled around 7500 miles. 

i-jpBtvcd-L.jpg

the back tire has about 1000 fewer miles. It's fascinating that both tires are still round even though the last three days of travel were straight up freeway riding. I've noticed a bit of obnoxious low speed  weaving since installing these tires. I'll try Metzlers next to  see if it goes away.

i-qnFKs2q-L.jpg

The bike now has 22,000 miles on it. Oils, filter,  brake fluid, and  a valve check :read: are due. 

• Like 2
Dennis Andress
4 hours ago, AZgman said:

Does your bike have a steering damper? If so, it may be time for a replacement or rebuild.

It does. The weaving has a really low frequency, like a loose ball joint in the Duolever fork. I made the mistake of getting airborne a couple of months ago, right after I put the new front tire on. The landing wasn't that hard but that's about the time I noticed the weaving.

For now, I'm blaming the tire...

Lone_RT_rider

You've gotten 7500 miles from THOSE tires? Man.... The last time I crossed the USA on the RT I struggled to make it home on a set I started fresh with at 5600 miles. They were PR4's.  I haven't gotten over 6500 miles from a rear tire since 2003.  :14:

Dennis Andress
5 hours ago, Lone_RT_rider said:

You've gotten 7500 miles from THOSE tires? Man.... The last time I crossed the USA on the RT I struggled to make it home on a set I started fresh with at 5600 miles. They were PR4's.  I haven't gotten over 6500 miles from a rear tire since 2003.  :14:

My receipt for the front says 14,500 miles, the bike now has 22,033. So the front has around 7500, the back around 1,000 less.

The K13Ss I've known have all worn the front tire evenly, unlike other BMWs I've owned which wore the left side first. It's like BMW did a better than average (for them) job of aligning the drivetrain. But, maybe the PR5 are just that good.

• 2 months later...
Dennis Andress

I think the bags stick out too far. 90 mph into a head wind this morning and the throttle was pretty close to WOT. The bike said it was getting 33 mpg. 😒

20210725_104624.thumb.jpg.ffb3d84d93e048c5e5f0939e3a9b6295.jpg

• Like 1

I know of some bicyclists who shaved the hair on their legs in order to reduce drag.    Ride safe and keep grinning Dennis...it makes others wonder what you know that they don't (know).....

• Like 1