IGNORED

Fairing Bolt Kits

Deesdesk

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the bolt kits you can get on Amazon for the tupperware on my '02 R1150RT?

They all look pretty much the same, but was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience and whether on supplier's kit was superior to another?

11 minutes ago, Deesdesk said:

Does anyone have a recommendation regarding the bolt kits you can get on Amazon for the tupperware on my '02 R1150RT?

They all look pretty much the same, but was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience and whether on supplier's kit was superior to another?

Afternoon  Deesdesk

I can't comment on those particular bolt kits but just a general comment on cheap bolt kits. 

A number of those cheaper stainless bolt kits use cut threads not rolled threads so they tend to gall easier therefore ruining the threads they screw into. Plus most don't use semi-pointed bolts for the upper tupperware so they tend to cross-thread easier ruining the  molded in tank inserts.  

• Thanks 1

BMW of San Jose sells Stainless Steel Torq replacements an I find their heads don't strip as easily.  If anyone finds a kit for them please let me know. 

Thanks everyone.

I did notice that the bolts on those kits were milled ends and not the  semi-pointed. Plus not all of them are stainless.

Good point DR about the cut threads vs. rolled. I've experienced that problem before.

I'm assuming that my local BMW shop would be able to get them, I also assume that they are priced more than you would pay for any other comparable bolt on the market.

I was hoping to find a kit to replace any lost or crappy looking bolts. The finish is quite worn a number of the heads and I was just wanting to get rid of that old tired look without going bankrupt in the process.

As Doctare said, if anyone finds a good kit that is comparable to OEM I'd like to know where to find.

Dees- I purchased a decent set of black topped screws for my dashboard plastic piece on ebay a few years ago. Tried painting SS screws, you know how well that went. No worries about messing up the gas tank inserts since they were only going in those slip on clips. The black coating has held up well. Dave 

szurszewski
On 4/12/2021 at 3:32 PM, Deesdesk said:

I'm assuming that my local BMW shop would be able to get them, I also assume that they are priced more than you would pay for any other comparable bolt on the market.

Your local shop should have them. They are not "cheap" but they are, as D.R. noted above, a pretty different class of hardware from the inexpensive kits online or the lower priced fasteners at your local hardware store. I wouldn't want to pay to replace all the tupperware screws on an RT, but I do usually keep a list on my phone of fasteners I want (but don't necessarily "need") and when I have other parts to order I'll $5 or $10 or so in fasteners along with whatever else. Makes it seems a little less spendy...

I bought a lot of stainless steel bolts and washers from my local bolt supplier,  in the necessary replacement sizes. I then used my table grinder to make the ends pointed and the grinder's brush to clean any rough edges. After a few attempts I became quite proficiently at quickly and neatly getting the bolts ready for use.  My only regret is I could only get the bolts as Allen heads rather than Torx.