IGNORED

oil smell

Rube

I have a 2011 RT. It is in great shape, serviced as scheduled in the manual since day 1 at the dealer and then by me. Since I changed the oil last I smell oil whenever I stop (stop light, etc.) I am anal when I work on my bikes (been doing this for 50+ years). I can find no leaks or seepage anywhere. The only thing I did was switch to synthetic. The bike uses no oil, does not smoke, etc. The PO had all the work done at the dealer and I assume used standard oil.

Anyone have this issue?

16 minutes ago, Rube said:

I have a 2011 RT. It is in great shape, serviced as scheduled in the manual since day 1 at the dealer and then by me. Since I changed the oil last I smell oil whenever I stop (stop light, etc.) I am anal when I work on my bikes (been doing this for 50+ years). I can find no leaks or seepage anywhere. The only thing I did was switch to synthetic. The bike uses no oil, does not smoke, etc. The PO had all the work done at the dealer and I assume used standard oil.

Anyone have this issue?

Afternoon  Rube

Did you have the valve covers off the engine? If so look for slight seepage around the spark plug sealing area.

Did you wipe the oil residue out of the oil filter pocket? If not that can give a hot oil smell for a while after an oil change. 

Otherwise put a white glove on, or or use a piece of paper towel, then reach up (best you can)  on the top of the rear crankcase sump porch (just in front of transmission).

I have seen a number of 1200 engines seep just enough oil back there from the the balancer shaft rear seal  to give off a hot oil smell. They usually don't leak (or seep much) while riding but drip just enough while parked to make the smell   (some synthetic oil's seem to make the seep worse as most contain very little seal conditioner) 

The little oil that seeps out can put spots on the front of catalytic converter while riding (usually no drips to the ground) so look for stains there also.

Another place to look is the L/H side cam chain tensioner or rear of cylinder heads.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2012 GSA always had a slight smell of burning oil for a long time. One day while washing it I found a small amount of oil under the left cylinder head. It turned out my left side cam chain tensioner was weeping oil. Once I got in there to repair it I found it was hand tight! I replaced it with a new/revised tensioner. The smell is gone now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/20/2021 at 2:12 PM, jwt67123 said:

My 2012 GSA always had a slight smell of burning oil for a long time. One day while washing it I found a small amount of oil under the left cylinder head. It turned out my left side cam chain tensioner was weeping oil. Once I got in there to repair it I found it was hand tight! I replaced it with a new/revised tensioner. The smell is gone now. 

I had an oil odor with my 2010 RT, never saw a drop of oil on the ground but I did see signs that oil was dripping on exhaust on left side and burning off. Upon inspection with a borescope I was able to see source likely the cam tensioner bolt. Managed to get a wrench in and tighten it a 1/8 - 1/4 turn and the leak has disappeared. Seems to be a common issue with engines in this timeframe.

IMG_4119-2.jpg

IMG_2066.JPG