IGNORED

r1100r neutral light on in first gear ?

gazzr11r

As the title says, my neutral light stays on in first gear and works as it should throughout the rest of the gear changes. Any ideas as to why would be appreciated. 1999 r1100r

9 minutes ago, gazzr11r said:

As the title says, my neutral light stays on in first gear and works as it should throughout the rest of the gear changes. Any ideas as to why would be appreciated. 1999 r1100r

Evening gazzr11r

The usual cause is the neutral light switch (idle switch)-- that switch is bolted on rear of transmission, it might be worn, malfunctioning, or full of gear oil.  

The other possible cause (not real likely but possible) is a worn internal transmission shift drum. There were couple of  old BMW service bulletins on incorrectly built shift drum parts).

If the neutral switch checks out OK let me know & I will try to dig up the old service bulletins.  

Problem is, it is a real pain to access that idle switch (neutral switch) on the rear of transmission. 

thank you, I've just found a thread that explains the position of the switch and that its not worth the hassle of repairing it unless there is a need to go in there anyway !

1 minute ago, gazzr11r said:

thank you, I've just found a thread that explains the position of the switch and that its not worth the hassle of repairing it unless there is a need to go in there anyway !

Evening gazzr11r

That is probably good advice/

• Thanks 1

Been living with the lazy neutral light syndrome for years, you hit Neutral and RID confirms it, but neutral light will take a while or not to come on.  I'll fix when its time to replace the clutch, which at the rate I ride the old guy may be years away yet. 

Never had the stay on in going into first though, I've not read about that one before.   You may find your switch migrates to the more traditional lazy neutral as well.  If so the you'll need to pull in the clutch to start the bike (which is a good practice anyway).

• 2 weeks later...

I also have a ‘99 R1100R that has had a similar issue for a couple seasons. When it’s cold, the N switch/light works properly. At first, the N light would stay on in 1st gear once it got warm.  Then over a season it progressed to working properly when cold, but staying on in all gears once it gets hot. That’s how it still acts.  As mentioned above, whenever the N light is on, the starter will function whether or not the bike is actually in N or not. This could be an issue and cause a lurch/bike drop if you (or anyone who attempts to start the bike) trusts the light when the bike  may not actually be in N.  Even though I leave it in N when I park it, it’s possible that I could bump the shifter when fishing for the side stand, or someone might have jabbed the shifter while parked. Pulling the clutch in for all starts, and being cautious when letting out the clutch after start up is my habit now.  Fixing it is on my ‘someday’ list. Obviously it could be an issue if anyone else rides the bike and trusts the darned (lying) N light.

• 4 weeks later...
technik333
On 4/19/2021 at 2:39 AM, BF204 said:

I also have a ‘99 R1100R that has had a similar issue for a couple seasons. When it’s cold, the N switch/light works properly. At first, the N light would stay on in 1st gear once it got warm.  Then over a season it progressed to working properly when cold, but staying on in all gears once it gets hot. That’s how it still acts.  As mentioned above, whenever the N light is on, the starter will function whether or not the bike is actually in N or not. This could be an issue and cause a lurch/bike drop if you (or anyone who attempts to start the bike) trusts the light when the bike  may not actually be in N.  Even though I leave it in N when I park it, it’s possible that I could bump the shifter when fishing for the side stand, or someone might have jabbed the shifter while parked. Pulling the clutch in for all starts, and being cautious when letting out the clutch after start up is my habit now.  Fixing it is on my ‘someday’ list. Obviously it could be an issue if anyone else rides the bike and trusts the darned (lying) N light.

I have a '95 R1100RS and encountered exactly the same issue with the N switch/light  Everything works well upon starting (when cold) however once the engine is warmed up and Neutral light would stay on in 1st gear.  It is very difficult to switch to Neutral.  Basically I would have to start the bike on 1st gear with clutch in, probably something I have to live with given it is very difficult to access the switch.