IGNORED

replace a cee bailey windscreen

Scarecrow

Well f*ck me!

Pulled into my garage, got the bike turned around to head out, got off to put it on the center stand, and managed to drop the bike on the left side.  F*CK ME!  The bike (2004 R1150RT) fell against a dresser I have in the garage for storing bike stuff and I managed to crack the windshield into 3 pieces.  F*CK ME!    It was a Cee Bailey, European cut, 2" replacement for the original.  I'd get another one because I really liked it, but Cee Bailey is no longer in business for motorcycles.  Did I say "f*ck me?"

So looking around for a replacement.  I came across this company: Clearview Shields

https://www.clearviewshields.com/product-category/bmw/bmw-sport-touring/ ) which at least has one for a R1105RT. 

Anyone have any dealings with them?  Know anything about them?  Any other suggestions for replacement?

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me,

S.

Is asking for preference between Acrylic Vs Polycarbonate like asking for Oil differences?  i.e. does this become a religious debate?

The 7jurock seems to be acrylic.  The National Cycle Vstream apparently is Polycarbonate.  As far as I can tell, the PC is stronger.  Does it really matter?  I don't remember what the Cee  Bailey was made of but it held up fine for 15 years (until today!). 

Does cleaning one versus the other make a difference?  Can you use the same product on either?  I've  used Novus plastic cleaner and Plexus.  I've heard some swear by plain Lemon Pledge.  Can you use all those with either acrylic or poly?

I need help!

thanks,

s.

12 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Is asking for preference between Acrylic Vs Polycarbonate like asking for Oil differences?  i.e. does this become a religious debate?

The 7jurock seems to be acrylic.  The National Cycle Vstream apparently is Polycarbonate.  As far as I can tell, the PC is stronger.  Does it really matter?  I don't remember what the Cee  Bailey was made of but it held up fine for 15 years (until today!). 

Does cleaning one versus the other make a difference?  Can you use the same product on either?  I've  used Novus plastic cleaner and Plexus.  I've heard some swear by plain Lemon Pledge.  Can you use all those with either acrylic or poly?

I need help!

thanks,

s.

I can help!

7Jurock makes good products. I don't know if they have a version with the recurve at the top, but that is what you want. I had many screens on the 1100-1150 version RT and the recurve works a LOT better. Cee Bailey used a recurve....

7Jurock uses cast acrylic. This is the highest quality acrylic available. National Cycle ( actually makes the factory screen for our BMW's, you can see the "NC" emblem on a stock screen) and their V Stream/Ztechnique screens are polycarbonate. Polycarbonate is less prone to cracking or shattering. But the difference isn't as great when compared to the highest quality of acrylic. One reason poly doesn't shatter as easily is that it is comparatively soft. It is useless without an anti scratch coating. Which cannot be polished if it gets scratches. Poly is far less resistant to harsh chemicals, UV light. So, it becomes a personal decision. If you ride a bike without a windscreen, is there really an argument that you MUST have that extra shatter resistance of poly on a bike with a screen? Personal decision.

Cleaning? I have used the paper towels at service stations after dipping them in the pumps cleaning solution for windshields. I have purposely used some rather harsh chemicals on my cast acrylic screen....and it still looks just fine. Novus is a very good cleaner especially if it has some swirls from cleaning "improperly"! I use Pledge occasionally, and have put RainX regular on it many times. I would not do that with a polycarbonate screen. 

Polycarbonate has advantages. Acrylic has advantages. It is indeed the users decision. 

BUT...there is only one mainstream US manufacturer that makes polycarbonate windscreens. National Cycle. Which also makes V Stream and Ztechnique. Makes one wonder why no one else uses polycarbonate?

Here is what is very much against using polycarbonate on certain bikes. Aero performance. V Stream will tell you their "vortex" design makes air do amazing things. Which it may on some bikes. BUT...on 2014 and newer RT's for instance they don't work very well at all. I bought one of the first ones they came out with. It was better than the stock screen, but ONLY because the size was taller and fit me better. There are other screens available, most all made of acrylic. One of these I know for a fact has a LOT better aero qualities than the polycarbonate choice. So, it also comes down to how well it works. Not just how well it deflects bowling balls. 

4 hours ago, realshelby said:

7Jurock makes good products. I don't know if they have a version with the recurve at the top, but that is what you want. I had many screens on the 1100-1150 version RT and the recurve works a LOT better. Cee Bailey used a recurve....

Thank you.  I know my CeeBailey had the recurve.  It's hard to tell if 7Jurock has it or not.  It doesn't appear to.  Do you know?  Or do you know of any others?  I think the CeeBailey was 21 inches wide, measured point to point, not along the curve.  Is that the way to go?  The 7Jurock has various widths with 23" being "OEM" and then going up to 25".  Any thoughts on that?  

And when I do get the windshield and put it on, do you know what size rubber washers I should use with the standard screws?

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this.  Thank you all.

S.

You would have to contact them to find out what is available. I know they don't sell anything related to fasteners. Wider usually gives better protection and a quieter ride. Height...that depends on several factors. Rider height, inseam, seat type, is the seat in the high or low position, etc. I don't remember about the rubber washers...been too long since I owned an Oilhead!

38 minutes ago, realshelby said:

You would have to contact them to find out what is available. I know they don't sell anything related to fasteners. Wider usually gives better protection and a quieter ride. Height...that depends on several factors. Rider height, inseam, seat type, is the seat in the high or low position, etc. I don't remember about the rubber washers...been too long since I owned an Oilhead!

Thanks.  I wrote them and am waiting to see what they say.  If I don't hear from them by later this afternoon, I'll try calling.  If they don't have a recurved shield, do you know of any company that does?

I don't know of a company for sure offering a recurve screen for Oilhead RT's offhand. But I have not been looking for them for nearly 10 years either!

1 hour ago, realshelby said:

I don't know of a company for sure offering a recurve screen for Oilhead RT's offhand. But I have not been looking for them for nearly 10 years either!

Yeah, my CeeBailey was on for 16 years so  I wrote the company and got a response pretty quickly.  They do recurve the screen if you know to ask for it.  I put in an order which should match the CeeBailey pretty closely.  Now I just have to wait patiently for it to show up in about 7-10 days.  

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Yeah, my CeeBailey was on for 16 years so  I wrote the company and got a response pretty quickly.  They do recurve the screen if you know to ask for it.  I put in an order which should match the CeeBailey pretty closely.  Now I just have to wait patiently for it to show up in about 7-10 days.  

A little late to this thread but many moons ago riding through Florida to Daytona on my 95 R 1100 RS I ended up with a fractured windshield I was told about a local company in St Augustine called Gustafsson Plastics. I called them and by the time I was coming back up from Daytona to go home they had a screen ready for my bike I think they're still in business. You should give them a shout