IGNORED

Anyone used the Cee Bailey Summer Sport Shield #4

jbh

I was thinking of getting one of these to get some airflow. I have an aftermarket shield that came on the bike when I purchased it used. It is taller than stock, around 17-18 inches measured from the center cutout. It also has the lip on top like #2 on the Cee Bailey site. I do not get any air on my shoulders and just some on the top 1/3 of my helmet with the shield all the way down.

If you have tried one out how does it work for a summer shield. Does it buffet? I realize it will be a lot of air, but as long as it is clean that is ok. How is it when it is up? and down?

I want a shield for the summer time here in Texas. I have never tried a stock shield, that could be another option but I have never used one.

Please feel free to comment on either shield. I just want something to make my mesh gear work properly.

I did test drive a Sprint ST today. It had great airflow on the upper body but the engine heat on the legs was a lot more than the RT. The sportshield for the RT will be about $10,900 cheaper.

I know you know this, but the buffeting seems to be a function of torso height and wind condition. Perhaps you could give us your height and inseam to give an indication. I only suggest because that looks like a pretty good shield and I (6'2", 32") often suffer behind my stock shield and my Schuberth C2 (even with plugs - noisy!). The #4 looks like a good replacement. Have you contacted Cee Baileys?

I am 6 feet with 32 inseam. I currently do not get any buffeting from my current shield. I ordered the sportshield today so once I get it installed I will let you know.

I did ride today with the windshield completely off. Earplugs were a must for the noise. I had wind mid chest and up. It was great. It actually allowed my mesh gear to work. It was 85 and sunny today and usually I would be hot behind the shield I currently have. But I was cool thanks to the massive but very clean airflow. Unfortunately the RT looks terrible without the shield installed. The whole bike felt different, sportier, lighter and easier to maneuver (I know that it is just in my mind).

th_cbscreen4.jpg

Picked one up last week. It's just for fun. I sit in the lowest position and unless I have the screen all the way up it's a wind in the face type screen.

I rode down to CB's without a screen on and put it on there. It makes a difference. It's almost the same as a stock screen just a narrower cut see the pics. Oh and unless your well versed in polishing plastics don't sand your stock screen they're coated!!!! Luckily i know what I'm doing... sort of.

I messed around with different heights but over all keep it all the way down

Purely for looks in my opinion thats why I got the dark smoke.

I have had a clear #4 on my RT for a couple years now. Airflow is better on the shoulders that a standard screen. At 6'2" the pressure on my head at highway speed is strong if I sit straight up but I'm more comfortable leaning forward slightly anyway. With the screen all they way forward I'm sitting in a clean pocket of air. If I went for a long ride in the winter I'd swap out a larger screen but otherwise I like the addition of some wind to make the RT feel a little sportier.

Good luck.

I was thinking of getting one of these to get some airflow. I have an aftermarket shield that came on the bike when I purchased it used. It is taller than stock, around 17-18 inches measured from the center cutout. It also has the lip on top like #2 on the Cee Bailey site. I do not get any air on my shoulders and just some on the top 1/3 of my helmet with the shield all the way down.

If you have tried one out how does it work for a summer shield. Does it buffet? I realize it will be a lot of air, but as long as it is clean that is ok. How is it when it is up? and down?

I want a shield for the summer time here in Texas. I have never tried a stock shield, that could be another option but I have never used one.

Please feel free to comment on either shield. I just want something to make my mesh gear work properly.

I did test drive a Sprint ST today. It had great airflow on the upper body but the engine heat on the legs was a lot more than the RT. The sportshield for the RT will be about $10,900 cheaper.

At about 18" H, you've probably got yourself a #2 +4" Cee Bailey's, which IMO is too tall for a 6' guy. Mine shield is a #2 Euro cut +4"H, and in the full down position, I hardly get any air at all (I'm 6' 2" tall).

I mentioned the Cee Bailey 14" stocker size that I have, in my PM to you. Since it's the #1 with no "flip", it's OEM sized (14"x23"), and should provide lots of wind in your face in the down position. Maybe you should take a ride over to a dealer and see if they have a used R11xxRT with a stock height screen, and ride it. (Or, see if any forum members are out in the Fort Worth area with an RT and stock sized windshield).

Or, if you are the independent kind of guy with time on your hand, you could just get a stout piece of cardboard (and/or sheed plastic) and cut it into a shape to match the OEM size (14"H), mount it, and see what it does to the wind flow.

I've heard a few folks have used a saw to cut down the top on a stock screen with good success. But for all the trouble, I'd just buy the Cee Bailey's summer shield if I were in your shoes. Your problem is that you just aren't certain what you need, so maybe making a cardboard or plastic cut out will help.

By the way, I just looked up the CB Summer Shield. It apparently is TALLER in the center than the stock CB #1 I have by 1", but tapered or rounded on the sides. As the CB web site states: "It will keep some air off your helmet, but more for looks than protection." In other words, it's made to look cool (i.e. more like a sport bike) and provide minimal protection, and I believe the stocker I offered you will do the same thing, while looking ...uh.. maybe less "cool". grin.gif (But then I check the price on the summer shield - only $85.00 clear; that's a pretty nice deal!)

I like mine but yes, it does come with a bit more buffeting. That's not a bad trade off though considering the extra air flow.

729074d4.jpg

I have used the CB summer shield for 2 summers, in fact I am changing over just as soon as the love bugs die out.

I like it for everthing but long trips. Usually leave it all the way down for a real strong blast of air without any buffeting. You get pushed back , but to me it's worth it on those hot Summer days.

Like others have said, it is as tall as the stock shield but quite a bit narrower. Put it up for slab time and it is almost as good as the stock shield. Note I said "almost", that means for short runs, if I'm going on a trip, I switch back to stock or oversize.

My only reqret was getting the dark gray tint they push of the website. Light gray is much better.

I like mine but yes, it does come with a bit more buffeting. That's not a bad trade off though considering the extra air flow.

Now I don't get any buffeting, just a clean flow in the low position. confused.gif

Maybe its the helmet: mine is a Shoei RF 1000.

..........My only reqret was getting the dark gray tint they push of the website. Light gray is much better.

Too bad for you.....the dark tint makes your bike faster. tongue.gif

I have this in black. I can send you pics? Up block air around your head but lets lots around your shoulders. Down does not buffet and gives you all the air you want on a hot day. I usually wear ear plugs to cancel out wind noise.

All of these answers sound great. Can't wait to get mine in the mail. I did order the dark grey because it is faster.

Please follow up with a nice report. As a former San Antonio dweller, I understand the need for a bit of air over the top and would appreciate it here in sunny California as well (despite the obvious need).

regards.

Archived