IGNORED

No More K1600 GTL

dba

As much as I loved the GTL, it was just getting too heavy to move around parking lots, the driveway and garage.  I had purchased a 2009 GSA in May of 2020 and rode that 95% of the rest of the riding season.  Since I wasn't giving the GTL its due, I traded it and the '09 GSA for a '17 GSA with only 20K miles on the clock.

I had a nice little shakedown ride of about 230 miles on Easter Saturday.  Rode up through Woodfords Canyon to Lake Tahoe and my brother's house.  Then over Echo Summit on US 50 to Shingle Springs, so he could do a little repair work on his travel trailer stored there.  From there, to CA 49 and lunch in Jackson and CA 88 back home to Gardnerville.

The bike performed flawlessly.  I am mindful that I have to pay closer attention to what gear I'm in as this bike doesn't have the same grunt in every gear like the GTL.  I don't speed as much as I used to, so I don't miss the 35 HP deficit from the GTL.  This is a very capable bike for getting up and going.  The stock seat is actually very comfortable and the only reason I found myself standing on the pegs was to stretch my legs.  I did try the shift assist, both upshifts and downshifts, and I don't see any advantage for normal riding conditions.  50 years of using the clutch handle is ingrained into my riding.

In parking lots and slow speeds, it's very nimble and light, the main reason for getting it.  All in all, I made the right choice and am very happy with the new ride.  

Glamour Shot.  

GSA Glamour Shot.jpg

• Like 6