IGNORED

Windshield deep cleaning - printed ink embedded

oilhead1100s1150rt

oilhead1100s1150rt

Good Day, I am cleaning up my 2003 r1100s and am putting on the original stock windshield. It has been in wrap for 18 years and had a latex covering stuck to the wind shield for protection from the factory. The printing from the protective wrap has worked its way into the wind shield. How do I get this off/out? I have used everything I can think of from plain windex, vinegar, glass cleaner, scratch remover, some of the manufacturer glass cleaners, 309. Not even a dent in removing the black print. Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Dave

IMG_1749.jpg

22 minutes ago, oilhead1100s1150rt said:

Good Day, I am cleaning up my 2003 r1100s and am putting on the original stock windshield. It has been in wrap for 18 years and had a latex covering stuck to the wind shield for protection from the factory. The printing from the protective wrap has worked its way into the wind shield. How do I get this off/out? I have used everything I can think of from plain windex, vinegar, glass cleaner, scratch remover, some of the manufacturer glass cleaners, 309. Not even a dent in removing the black print. Any ideas greatly appreciated. 

Dave

Afternoon Dave 

You are in a tough situation, that windshield is probably factory coated with anti-scratch harder coating that is very thin. 

If you get aggressive you will probably rub right through that coating making a nasty looking windshield.  

oilhead1100s1150rt

You are correct, I just tried to go to the next step. Very little DN Alcohol on a clean cloth. It worked. Then went back and polished with some cleaner. Looks good....95%, best I cn do as you say, anything more and it will be in bad shape. 

"DirtRider" is correct on coatings.

Here is what works for me.

I used "headlamp" cleaner - the stuff to clean off the hazing on automotive headlamps that use polycarbonate with a hard coating.  3M makes a  product that I have used on both my 2009 Tacoma & my 2004 BMW.  Not perfect, but I am am very happy not spending $ on a new windshield.

Great news that the BigBox stores have that polish cheap.