IGNORED

'02 R1150RT High Beam replacement

Deesdesk

Hi guys, just doing some 'pre-season' maintenance on my "new to me" '02 R1150RT and was wanting to replace my headlight lamps.

The manual says to use a H7 55W low beam and a H1 55W high beam. 

However,

A lot of the different sites (including Sylvania) suggest that my low beam should be an H3.

I tend to beleive the manual, but why are so many websites suggesting that the H1 is not the right bulb for my bike?

Did the manufacturer update that information at a later date?

What's the difference between the H1 and the H3?

What is the general consensus?

2021-04-04_22-56-16.jpg

What bulb is in the bike now? Replace it with whatever’s in there. H1 is one piece and H3 has a wire coming off of it.

10 hours ago, Deesdesk said:

Hi guys, just doing some 'pre-season' maintenance on my "new to me" '02 R1150RT and was wanting to replace my headlight lamps.

The manual says to use a H7 55W low beam and a H1 55W high beam. 

However,

A lot of the different sites (including Sylvania) suggest that my low beam should be an H3.

I tend to beleive the manual, but why are so many websites suggesting that the H1 is not the right bulb for my bike?

Did the manufacturer update that information at a later date?

What's the difference between the H1 and the H3?

What is the general consensus?

Morning  Deesdesk

1ea _H-7 (low beam)

3ea_ H-3 (1 high beam & 2 fog lights)

1ea_ 5w (running light)

There should be a sticker on the bottom of your headlight housing.

B0uLan3.jpg

That's good information.

I'll check the plate on the bike tomorrow,

In the mean time,  here is the info in the service and technical Booklet.

You'll see it says H1 on both pages.

But I guess the plate on the bike will be the determining factor.

Thanks again for the info.

IMG-6098.jpg

IMG-6097.jpg

Thanks RogerC60, good to know.

Went to the local auto store and looked at H1's and H3's there is a big difference between the two bulbs.

Looked at the bike and could not see a plate on my headlight housing that dirtrider made reference to.

So I cut to the chase and took the old ones out and they are definitely H3's.

Bought 3 Sylvania HID Halogen Siverstar Ultra's; a little pricy, but they are suppose to have a higher kelvin rating and have higher lumen output than OEM.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the bulb back in that little housing assembly all back together.

I didn't opt for LED's. I've been doing so much maintenance to the bike, I didn't want to potentially create any unnecessary issues with hyperflashing and resistors; maybe next time. 

Days are getting warmer, so riding is just around the corner!

Thanks E100R Rider.

I don't think there would be enough room inside the lighting housing assembly to accommodate the heat sink on the R1150RT. Everything is packed in there very snug and tight. All the bulbs fit inside of the housing and then there is a cover that encloses the entire assembly. If I went down the LED road, I would have to pay attention to overall size and what clearances I have. Someone with very small hands built this machine, and packed a lot of stuff into a very small, precisely fit, area.

Glad yours worked out for you though. 

12 hours ago, Deesdesk said:

Thanks E100R Rider.

I don't think there would be enough room inside the lighting housing assembly to accommodate the heat sink on the R1150RT. Everything is packed in there very snug and tight. All the bulbs fit inside of the housing and then there is a cover that encloses the entire assembly. If I went down the LED road, I would have to pay attention to overall size and what clearances I have. Someone with very small hands built this machine, and packed a lot of stuff into a very small, precisely fit, area.

You are right about that not fitting in an R1150RT. I tried the similar H7 bulb from superbrightleds in my bike and it prevented the rear cover from snapping on. I bought an LED H7 bulb with a fan from Amazon. This bulb is physically much smaller and fits no problem. Unfortunately, the NHTSA has recalled that particular bulb so you can no longer buy it.