IGNORED

XM Radio Wiring

Robert_RT

I've got a slick way to mount the XM antenna ... place a small (4" X 4") sheet of sheet metal just underneath the top fabric layer of the zippered top of the Big Mak and let the antenna magnet keep the antenna on the front center edge of the tank bag. Works great for me (but I don't use the clear plastic map case either). My Roady is mounted to a left handlebar riser bolt with a RAM mount system. It doesn't obstruct my view of instruments. smile.gif

2wheelterry

I use a 1” x 1” piece of sheet metal in my map case to stick the antenna to. My bag is electrified, using the Powerlet (?) system. I leave the Roady 2 in the bag. I rarely change the channel, so this is okay, but I need to be careful to not bump the Roady and mistakenly change the channel. I have an in-line volume adjuster that exits the rider side of the bag (with the antenna wiring), into that I plug a cord that goes up into the helmet and run this inside my jacket. I had a small amp/booster but found its not needed using the Roady volume control in the menu. This is a pretty simple set-up, but works well for me so far. On a long trip, I can see how the Roady mounted on the clutch reservoir would be cool.

I want to get some custom molded earplugs that have the mini speakers built in, just looking for the right vendor.

hcmiller92
I use a 1” x 1” piece of sheet metal in my map case to stick the antenna to. My bag is electrified, using the Powerlet (?) system. I leave the Roady 2 in the bag. I rarely change the channel, so this is okay, but I need to be careful to not bump the Roady and mistakenly change the channel. I have an in-line volume adjuster that exits the rider side of the bag (with the antenna wiring), into that I plug a cord that goes up into the helmet and run this inside my jacket. I had a small amp/booster but found its not needed using the Roady volume control in the menu. This is a pretty simple set-up, but works well for me so far. On a long trip, I can see how the Roady mounted on the clutch reservoir would be cool.

I want to get some custom molded earplugs that have the mini speakers built in, just looking for the right vendor.

I think these are pretty clever ideas. I spent $35 for a brake reservoir-mounted version from CycleGadgets.com and am very happy with it.

I do have one problem, however, noise from the alternator. There shouldn't be any ground loop problem as the Roady2 is connected to the very same terminals as my Autocom. I have the same setup - and same result - on both my bikes. My solution was to buy a battery pack and fill it with rechargeable NiMH batteries. Not elegant but no noise. What are others doing about the alternator whine?

Thanks,

Curt

Curt,

Are you using the wireless feature to transmit to an FM radio or plugged directly into the Roady? You might try a stereo isolation cable if you are going direct.

Mick

Archived