IGNORED

Windscreen replacement , Yea, nay ???

Rider1260

Hi Gang 

I did some searching but there really wasn't an answer that I found. 
I'm 5'10" and ride the stock seat on the low position I am wondering for those who have changed how much benefit ( or negative ) I would get from changing the screen to something like the National Cycle VStream ( I haven't seen any other options available for my year ) 
It looks to be 2 in taller , the videos look promising what I was hoping is to run the shield lower so I can see over it better and still get a reasonably quite ride , and not affect the handling. 
Im not 100% unhappy as it just wondering if I can do better. 
Happy riding !!! 

86210447-motorcycles8-15-2020-2414.jpg

Me previous 07 RT had the factory windscreen and it “worked”, but just enough. My current 07 RT has a Cee Bailey’s and I love it. It blocks plenty of wind/rain/debris when needed, but also allows plenty of air movement for those warm days. 

I don’t think they make them anymore, but if you find a used one I definitely recommend it. 

I got a Cee Bailey on my '06. Way better then stock, but it does take its toll on the brackets, just replaced the bottom two, had the top two replaced about a year ago. Definitely more load by the bigger screen but comfort is everything, so it was worth it. I believe CB no longer makes screens for bikes but there is always the "pre-loved" option if you are lucky.

Kerry in Mpls

I have the VStream on my 06 RT and really like it. This screen is quite a bit wider at the top than the stock screen (hence the "V"). My shoulders stay out of the wind, and stay dry when it rains. In a cross wind I can usually lean over just a bit to find the quiet bubble. I can easily see over it when lowered.

This is a big screen with a big wind load - the support arms should definitely be replaced with stronger after-market ones. I installed beefier top arms when I first got the screen. Years later one of the bottom arms broke in a rain storm 1000 miles from home. 🙄 Duct tape to the rescue! I upgraded the lower arms when I got home - it's bulletproof now. 💪 🤞

I installed the VStream for riding in the cold GA winters (sometimes lasts for 3-4 days) , and was planning on changing to shorter stock unit for summer.  Three years later the VStream is still on, so I’m either lazy (likely) or have adapted to the larger 26” screen
At 5-8, I can see over the top and still be in the pocket; during heavier rains, will raise it about 1-2” to deflect the water over my helmet

I did change to heavy duty upper arms from Beemer Boneyard

• 1 month later...

I just replaced the stock shield on my 2013 RT with a 7Jurock 26" and the difference is amazing.  I can now hear the of purr of the engine, the hum of tires on the road, the sound of a truck accelerating to pass, etc.  More pleasant riding and more safe.  I don't know why BMW is doesn't do better with their OEM product.  The 7Jurock is wider and more important, it has a top that flares upward which makes all the difference.

I am 6'2" with a 34" inseam and ride with the seat in lowest position.

I've got the Cee Bailey's on my 09 RT and love it.

But yes, it is very tough on the windshield brackets!!!

aggieengineer

ully211 makes an important point. The aftermarket windscreens I have looked at are not exact fits. They are curved in only one axis, whereas the BMW screen is a compound curve. The mounting brackets will be forced out of their normal range of motion, and it's not the most robust design.

West_Coaster

Do you guys normally ride looking over, or through the windscreen? I have a 26" Cee Bailey and wish it was 24" so I could look forward and not see the top edge of the screen. I'm 6' w/32" inseam.