IGNORED

Joining the RT Crowd!

Rick1130

I have lurked around here for many years.  Been a BMW guy for over 20 years (though other brands can be found in my garage as well).  I have lusted after an RT ever since the R1100RT was introduced way back in '96.  For one reason or another, never bought one....until now.  I am staring retirement in the face and hope to pull the plug on working in a few years and thought, if not now, when?  After briefly considering buying a 2-3 year old model,  I made a deal on this left over 2020 RT at the same dealer that sold me my 2011 R1200R Camhead Roadster.  That one was used, and as I live in OH and the dealer is in VA, he shipped it to me.  This time...Can you say Fly and Ride?

On April 23rd I am flying to Baltimore where a buddy will pick me up at the airport and then drive me down to Adventure BMW in Chesapeake VA (great shop BTW!) to pick up my baby first thing on 4/24.  I will then ride the area for a couple of days to put the initial 600 miles on returning Tuesday morning for my 600 mile service.  Once that is performed, I will point my front tire east towards the Smokies for a few days of getting acquainted with my new beast!  I plan on spending a night at DGMR to watch the circus and get my picture taken on The Dragon!  Then it will be 2 days riding home in time for work the following Monday morning.

So I would like to introduce everyone to my Super Sport Touring Couch Rocket!  Who says performance has to be uncomfortable?

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

As you can see, I have been busy shopping adding some farkles which are already installed for me.  Top case with brake light, Nav 6, Tankbag Front & Rear protection bars,  Headlight protector and side stand foot enlarger.  The only thing left is ME!

Reports on my trip and impressions of my new Couch Rocket to follow....

Rick G

• Like 6
33 minutes ago, TEWKS said:

Nice, and an awesome plan of purchase! Adjust that purchase time by a day or two and break it in at START:thumbsup:

Unfortunately, plane ticket is bought, time off work requested, great idea, but I guess I will miss it!

Rick G

• Like 1

Couch rocket?   :dontknow:.  Sounds like comfortable fun.   Welcome to the RT side of Sport Touring!   Congrats on the new bike.  

• Like 1
Rock N the Ride

I bought my 2020 1250RT last summer and rode it from the dealer in WI back to SE Ohio (700+ miles overnight). You are going to love the shift cam engine power! Congrats on your purchase. Safe travels and hope to catch you riding in the Buckeye state soon!

• Like 1

Sweet looking bike. I have had my 2015 rt for just a couple weeks and am blown away by the handling and ride. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Great story! Mine is quite similar, just a few years away from retirement, looked at a few gently used, until I test rode a 1250RT... made up my mind and pulled he trigger on a same  bike as well (mine became called Blue-Velvet because it so smooth)  RT's are Great Bikes!  Have owned just about every sport-tourer ever made, but all roads lead to the RT.  Farkled it within an inch of it's life over this last winter - Full ilium-works gear, engine guards, lower pegs, bar-risers & more.  Heading to the black hills next, can't wait. Enjoy that new bike - you only live once (I think) ...  

IMG_8613 (1).jpeg

• Like 2

Rick,

Welcome from Akron

I bought my 2017 used in Aug 2018 in Chesapeake VA which originated from Adventure BMW.

Hopefully we meet up on the road

both RTs.jpg

• Like 2
lawnchairboy
On 4/2/2021 at 9:59 AM, Rick1130 said:

I have lurked around here for many years.  Been a BMW guy for over 20 years (though other brands can be found in my garage as well).  I have lusted after an RT ever since the R1100RT was introduced way back in '96.  For one reason or another, never bought one....until now.  I am staring retirement in the face and hope to pull the plug on working in a few years and thought, if not now, when?  After briefly considering buying a 2-3 year old model,  I made a deal on this left over 2020 RT at the same dealer that sold me my 2011 R1200R Camhead Roadster.  That one was used, and as I live in OH and the dealer is in VA, he shipped it to me.  This time...Can you say Fly and Ride?

On April 23rd I am flying to Baltimore where a buddy will pick me up at the airport and then drive me down to Adventure BMW in Chesapeake VA (great shop BTW!) to pick up my baby first thing on 4/24.  I will then ride the area for a couple of days to put the initial 600 miles on returning Tuesday morning for my 600 mile service.  Once that is performed, I will point my front tire east towards the Smokies for a few days of getting acquainted with my new beast!  I plan on spending a night at DGMR to watch the circus and get my picture taken on The Dragon!  Then it will be 2 days riding home in time for work the following Monday morning.

So I would like to introduce everyone to my Super Sport Touring Couch Rocket!  Who says performance has to be uncomfortable?

thumbnail (3).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

As you can see, I have been busy shopping adding some farkles which are already installed for me.  Top case with brake light, Nav 6, Tankbag Front & Rear protection bars,  Headlight protector and side stand foot enlarger.  The only thing left is ME!

Reports on my trip and impressions of my new Couch Rocket to follow....

Rick G

Rick and the boys at adventure in chesapeake will take care of you.  I will not be in town, be over in Maggie Valley that day. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bernie said:

I am on my third RT since May 2000. The best multipurpose bike for my style of riding. A7F65E8B-BA71-4ECE-9FE4-73AB64F874CC.thumb.jpeg.30aefa11785886d020459deda17570aa.jpeg

I am on my third also since 2004. One will always be in my garage. 

6EF1FCAF-0E59-4C5F-8A3F-4E7D99010F48.jpeg

• Like 4

That brought back memories for me....

I bought my first BMW when I was 18, an R90/6 in 1975 at Spa City Cycle, located in Saratoga Springs, NY. I lived in Plattsburgh, NY at the time, about 130 miles to the north.

I don't remember how we got to this place in the negotiation, but the dealer offered to pick me up in his little Piper plane in Plattsburgh, and flew me to Saratoga. That was the first time I had seen the bike in person.  I remember also that I originally had my eyes on a R75/6, but the dealer convinced me to move to the 900 for about $300 more ($3,200 sticker back then), because as he said, "guys always want to move up to a bigger engine". No doubt he was right. 

I remember the ride home. It was my first time on a BMW, having upgraded from my Honda CB 360. I was both excited and nervous, getting used to the controls and the throbbing boxer twin. I took the 2-lane Hwy 9 through Lake George, skimming the Adirondacks, and up through Lake Champlain, and eventually home. That was quite a day, and the beginning of my love affair with BMW motorcycles.

• Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, my new RT is in my garage getting acquainted with her stablemates.  Had a great 8 day 2200 mile trip to break in my new bike.  After hanging in the area of dealer for first 600 miles to get 1st service, I headed to the Smokies!!

Adventure BMW, Chesapeake VA

IMG_0583_HEIC.JPG

Heading up to Baltimore to visit a buddy and get those first 600 miles in!

IMG_0611_HEIC.JPG

Blue Ridge Parkway!

IMG_0647_HEIC.JPG

IMG_0653_HEIC.JPG

Met up with Nephew from Atlanta and then went to Wheels Through Time.  A must stop when in area.

IMG_0696_HEIC.JPG

IMG_0705_HEIC.JPG

Matt Walksler getting ready to fire up a bike!  RIP Dale!

IMG_0683_HEIC.JPG

Stayed at the Motel at the Gap.  Obligatory Tree of Shame photo!

IMG_0701_HEIC.JPG

IMG_0711_HEIC.JPG

Dragon Photos courtesy of either Killboy.com or 129slayer.com

Slayer 10.jpg

Slayer 8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Rick G

• Like 7
John Bentall
On 4/14/2021 at 1:37 PM, Rinkydink said:

Once you go RT you never (almost never) go back. 

well, you go on to a K1600GT and THEN go back to an RT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2