IGNORED

South Dakota riding

Dave P

So my wife and I have been talking of relocating from high tax New York State to Rapid City SD, maybe 5 years from now. She is looking for a sinus friendly dry climate, I need some decent roads to ride. We like the changing seasons. Western South Dakota doesn't have the lush green hilly terrain that Ive enjoyed here in CNY (Syracuse) for the last 23 years but the Black Hills area looks pretty nice to ride. I could switch from an RT to a GS, that might expand my options. Anyone have opinions on SD riding? Dave

I have family in Rapid City, and recently sold a cabin in the Black Hills, so I have a lot a familiarity with the riding in the area.  I think the best thing I can say about it is that there are about 2.5 days of good riding there.  Except during the last week of July, when any reasonable rider will plan to be gone.  There are some scenic rides, and some pigtail bridges, and a few short twisty bits... but generally in the "pleasant" rather than "awesome" category.  Lots of tourists and motorhomes and low speed limits.  And lots of rolling roadblocks.

The good news is that from Beulah (my ex-haunt) you are a half-day ride from some awesome.  The west side of Hwy 14 from Sheridan is world-class.  In fact, you can zig-zag across the Bighorns and have great fun.  And then a bit further west, you have Beartooth and Chief Joseph -- also great riding.

And from the Black Hills, it is a day's ride to Colorado, where you can spend as much time as you want with great riding.  Of course, the riding season is shorter than the one to which you are probably accustomed. 

Having said all that, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that people in South Dakota might not be of your tribe.  My advice would be to rent rather than buy until you are sure you like it there.

Cap

I've spent a fair amount of time riding in the Black Hills.  Outside of that area, the rest of SD is just like ND.  So I'm fine with it.

Personally, I don't think you can find a bad road in the Black Hills.  Yeah, some roads get more tourists.  But it's not bad except Sturgis Rally time.

For BMW's, Sturgis is the nearest dealer.  Nothing right in Rapid.  But that's the nice thing about that area.  There are so many smaller towns that you can stop off and sample some wine/beer.  All kinds of shops.  Devils Tower isn't far.  Anywhere in Wyoming is a quick ride.  Just be prepared for the winds on the prairies of the Dakotas.  Some aren't used to that.  We had a clipper blast through the state earlier in the week.  66 mph winds at my house.

I would agree with the rent before owning advice. And visit at least once during winter before you move there so you know what to expect (extreme situations at times).

In the Dakota's, we refer to Rapid City as the banana belt.  In the winter, they can get dumped on by snow.  A few days later it could be 60 degrees in the winter.  Something about the way the Black Hills channel storm fronts.

If you like skiing, there is Terry Peak not far from Rapid.  There is another smaller ski place not far, can't recall the name.  Lots of riding trails for side by sides.

And check out Flags and Wheels in Rapid.  Looks like a shack from the outside.  But they have "Extreme Race Carts" for indoor riding.  It's a blast.  https://flagsandwheels.com/

Yes, we planned to make a trip out there to see the sites, check it out. I doubt the winters would be much of a change for us- we're in Syracuse, we ofter get 200 inches of snow. SD is probably windy all the time, like when I lived in Wichita. Actually Rapid City looks like exactly due west of Syracuse. D

The winds in the Hills aren't bad at all.  If it's windy on the prairie, you could easily alter your ride to be in the Hills.  Enough trees, gully's, etc. that wind isn't an issue.

Rapid City SD is a little warmer then Syracuse NY. They get about 50-60" of snow compared to Syracuse which gets 200" of snow. MUCH drier then Syracuse. Significantly less trees. Has a more open feeling then upstate NY. As you know, trees grow like weeds in New York. The Black Hills is a very nice area. If I had to move from upstate NY to the Dakotas, I would pick Rapid City. I would describe people in Syracuse as more down to earth, where people in Rapid City as more Independent. Just my observation and opinion. And, of course, SD is a great place to retire due to the tax structure. 

You may find this of interest, Briggs rambles a bit but generally find his channel entertaining and informative. BTW Spearfish Canyon is a picturesque short ride, some amazing waterfalls (where they filmed parts of “Dances with Wolves”).