IGNORED

Emergency Key

PastorJay

My recently purchased 2015 RT came with one fob. I inquired about purchasing a second and was told by BMW it would be about $300. While checking things out I came across information on the emergency Key. I do not have one for this bike. I am assuming this also has to be purchased from BMW. What is the cost. Do you guys carry this key with you. Some manufacturers have a code you can use to start the bike if you lose your fob. Does BMW have such a thing?

Thank you.  

The emergency key is plastic and contains a passive transponder chip that can start your bike if you hold it close to the antenna ring on your bike.  I think the plastic key is much cheaper than the fob, the last time I checked it was about $70.  The plastic key is cut to open your side cases, but is not very robust, and most owners don't use it for that purpose.  Both the fob and the emergency key must be ordered from BMW by VIN number.  You can also buy a steel key without a transponder that is strong enough to use on your luggage, and I think I paid ~$35 for that.

One of the vendors on this forum will give you a bit of a discount on the fobs and keys: http://beemerparts.com

Yeah, I'd recommend that emergency key instead.  You can hide it on your bike.  Or in my case, I hide my key on the wife's bike, and hers on mine.

If the bike originally came from MAX BMW, you could call and ask if they held the emergency key after the sale. Second Wind BMW in NH (now defunct) kept hold of the E-keys in case you lost your regular key. (that was the idea anyway) :dontknow: PS...there wasn’t a lot of lead time to their closure and my E-key disappeared in the process. :classic_angry:

• Thinking 1

I purchased a spare metal key for about $48 several mos ago. They look like steel but are actually nickel silver. Be prepared to show paper work and you may have to order it and pick it up in person. It took 2 or 3 days. 

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up my rubber headed key last week.  Had to wait to get my title before they could order it.

Bike has the fob, plastic key (hidden on the bike) and the rubber headed key for the cases and seat.  

All's well in the TXNRET household...:18:

On 4/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, PastorJay said:

My recently purchased 2015 RT came with one fob. I inquired about purchasing a second and was told by BMW it would be about $300. While checking things out I came across information on the emergency Key. I do not have one for this bike. I am assuming this also has to be purchased from BMW. What is the cost. Do you guys carry this key with you. Some manufacturers have a code you can use to start the bike if you lose your fob. Does BMW have such a thing?

Evening  PastorJay

Some manufacturers have a code that you can use to start the bike if you lose your fob. Does BMW have such a thing?-- Unfortunately BMW doesn't offer this option, they should but that isn't offered.

It is a shame that the newer HD and Indians have a code to enter if you lose your key and the bmw does not. You need to contact a BMW dealer. Send a copy of your license and registration or insurance card and they will have one made for you. $70. They say it takes about a week. 

Yep, I keep my RT's emergency keep taped to the inside of one of the easily removable plastic bits on the bike.  It's nice to have, but 2 regular keys is better.  I'm not a fan of the keyless ride stuff, so give me two reg keys like my XR and I'm happy.  Lose one of those and you have a full spare and it's not $300+ to replace it....

I keep my plastic key in a sleeve pocket of my Aerostich, along with the garage door opener. I usually drape it over the windshield when I leave the bike so theoretically it's possible for someone to steal the bike if they know where to look for the key and how to use it. I don't worry about it, I've done it this way for years and never lost a helmet, gloves or jacket - all of which stay with the bike unless I'm wearing them or in my room/tent.

A nice thing about a fob is that when I walk away from the bike, it'll turn off if it's (a) not running, and (b) the fob is more than 10 feet away for 30 seconds.  So using the sidestand to shut it off in gear and walking away won't run the battery down, which is possible with a keyed ignition - ask me how I know. The technology is mature, it's been around for years, I had a 2004 car with it and it worked flawlessly. And a chipped key probably isn't any more immune to electronic communication issues than a fob, it's a difference in degree, not a difference in kind.

The biggest downside for me is that a fob is bigger than a key, and because the fob key for releasing the luggage is flimsy I carry a chipless key as well as the fob which makes for a big wad in my pocket, plus the fob key sometimes flips out on its own. Without the keyless I'd just have a key and no fob: less stuff to carry around.

• Like 1

My plastic emergency key lives in a corner of my wallet.  Not very likely I'll loose my wallet, and the emergency key is virtually always with me.

Regards,

George Costanza

Optimal Optimist: Your George Costanza Wallet

• Haha 2