IGNORED

Low & high beam on simultaneously

Peter K

After a recent low beam bulb (H-7) replacement on my 2014 R1200RT, whenever I turn on the high beam, the low beam stays on (at a slightly reduced brightness). When I flick to the low beam, the high beams turn off, and the low beam gets a little brighter. What could I have done to cause this?  And, is there any harm to leaving it this way (other than burning through bulbs even faster) ??

YIKES!  

When doing troubleshooting…I ask the question—what did I just do?

I think this is the way it’s designed to work. 
Here are some pictures of the bulb that might help visualize how the clips work. 

IMG_5758%20(1)-M.jpgScreen%20Shot%202018-08-24%20at%2006.27.

IMG_5760%20(1)-M.jpg

Thanks. After the first couple of bulbs blew out, I sort of got the hang of the clips (as much as anyone can get the hang of something so awkward to do); using my iPhone to take a picture so I could "see" what I was feeling, helped. But on the electrical side of things, I thought the plug could only go in one way!  I'll have to start over...

I can't swear to it, but I don't think the wire connections could be reversed . Only two wires and only two prongs on the light bulb.

I know that my low beam will dim and brighten based on the ambient light sensor, and so will the screen on my Nav 6.

I can't tell you for sure, but I believe the low beam stays on when I switch to the high beam.

But I will check it the next time I ride. Never actually look at that part of the bike while riding. 

Michiganr80rt

I know that the low beam on my 2014 R1200RT stays on when the high beam is on. I confirmed that today since I am changing the bulbs to Cyclops LED bulbs tomorrow. I took some before photos of the lights shining on the garage door so I can confirm the LED bulbs aim similar to the halogens.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Peter K said:

After a recent low beam bulb (H-7) replacement on my 2014 R1200RT, whenever I turn on the high beam, the low beam stays on (at a slightly reduced brightness). When I flick to the low beam, the high beams turn off, and the low beam gets a little brighter. What could I have done to cause this?  And, is there any harm to leaving it this way (other than burning through bulbs even faster) ??

Mine has always worked like that, normal

Thank you all !  I guess in 5 yrs of pulling into my garage and seeing the bike's reflection on this plexiglass storage bin in front of me, I just never noticed this.  In my mind the high beams were on alone.  I guess this explains why we go through that H7 at least once a year!  

Michiganr80rt
1 hour ago, Peter K said:

Thank you all !  I guess in 5 yrs of pulling into my garage and seeing the bike's reflection on this plexiglass storage bin in front of me, I just never noticed this.  In my mind the high beams were on alone.  I guess this explains why we go through that H7 at least once a year!  

I think it is possible that not all bikes behave that way. I have read that when a low beam burns out the right high beam turns on. That seems like a good idea but it is not what happens on my 2014 R1200RT.  When the low beam burns out, and the dash warning tells me it is out, I have no headlight unless I turn on the high beams. With the computer controlling everything the behavior of the lights could vary by model year or what market the bike was sold in.