IGNORED

Menu defaults to Gas mileage reading

Nobrakes

2017 RT, 27,000 miles..

Anyone else losing there preferred setting on the menu? For instance; I set my menu to display outside temp and it obliges but,,,, if I kill the bike and start it back up again, it goes to the MPG setting without prompting. Almost as if it’s a default setting. It hasn’t done this until recently. 

The display is "supposed to" do like you are saying…stay at the last User selected display….unless there is a cause for some other system to be brought to you immediate attention.

This could be a low tire pressure, low oil quantity, low voltage on the system…and the biggie here…fuel in the reserve range.

So, if you have less than 1 gallon of gas in the tank, it will alert you that your are in the reserve fuel and that display will override the user selected display.

I suppose I'm already telling you something you are aware of…but just in case…

Thanks but, yes I’m already aware of that. Filled the tank. Still does it. One thing I haven’t done is look at the range reading. I’ll do that later tonight. Thanks again. 

Mileage Range is at 185miles. Based on this reading, it wouldn’t be tricking the system in any way. 🤨

Like you, I keep the outside temp displayed on my 2018.  It will switch to miles remaining when low on fuel, but goes back automatically to temp display once I refill tank.

• Like 1
Michiganr80rt

The display on my 2014 R1200RT started changing the display on startup last year. I replaced the battery and things went back to normal so I blamed the display behavior on low voltage during startup. The battery was original according to the first owner.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the input. I seem to have resolved but, I’m not sure because I did two things simultaneously. (1).  I put my battery tender on it (I removed it before it was fully charged)... (2). I changed the battery in my key fob. I did these two things 4 or 5 days ago and no problems since. My outside temp setting is has not changed over to the MPG setting since doing this. The bikes engine turns over a lot stronger now. I really think it was the key fob battery replacement - is that possible rather than the motorcycle battery?

12 hours ago, Nobrakes said:

Thank you all for the input. I seem to have resolved but, I’m not sure because I did two things simultaneously. (1).  I put my battery tender on it (I removed it before it was fully charged)... (2). I changed the battery in my key fob. I did these two things 4 or 5 days ago and no problems since. My outside temp setting is has not changed over to the MPG setting since doing this. The bikes engine turns over a lot stronger now. I really think it was the key fob battery replacement - is that possible rather than the motorcycle battery?

Afternoon Nobrakes

No, the key fob is just an enabler but it has nothing to do with the actual starter cranking speed. The key fob ALLOWS it to crank, the motorcycle battery strength determines how fast & for long it will crank.

• Like 1

Dirt rider I agree and was pretty sure the fob doesn’t  have anything to do with cranking speed but, it throws me that I partially  charged the battery and I replaced the fob battery simultaneously. I went against my own maintenance theory of trying one thing at a time. Rode it to work last night  no issues as I have for the past few nights which is a 15 minute ride. Bike never sits long throughout the year. 

50 minutes ago, Skywagon said:

If you want to find out for sure put your old battery back in the fob

Dang!! I trashed it already😞

If the fob battery is low you can get a low battery reading on the dash from the fob.  This may have been why it was defaulting to another screen. 

!KEYLO in lower right hand corner.

5a187f38eaf850b101eb6de1f52c1a27.jpg

Not to sound like a wise ashe, but do you really need the outside temperature displayed on the screen? Aren't you already outside, so you pretty much know what the temperature is?

Seems a very first world problem...

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Hosstage said:

Not to sound like a wise ashe, but do you really need the outside temperature displayed on the screen? Aren't you already outside, so you pretty much know what the temperature is?

Seems a very first world problem...

We don't *need* most of what's on the dash, but they are convenient and if they're set to function a certain way and stop doing so, that indicates a problem with the bike.

Temperature is more relevant than the clock with AM/PM on it.  If you're out on your bike and you don't know if it is morning or evening, you probably shouldn't be riding.

• Like 1
  • Smile 1