matanuska Posted May 13, 2006 Share Posted May 13, 2006 I just finished my first engine / transmission alignment check. As I mentioned before, I measured the bore of the transmission input shaft at 10.00mm and the bore of the engine output shaft at 6.00mm. I used a 12” piece of 10.00mm precision ground drill rod stock and turned a 1” long section on one end to 6.00mm to make a Go / No-Go gauge. A remounted the transmission to the engine bell housing without the clutch installed and checked alignment with my gauge. Based on this, I can say, without a doubt that the engine output shaft and transmission input shaft are definitely NOT aligned. The gauge will not slip into the 6mm bore of the engine output shaft. Because of the unique design of the K12RS transmission, I haven’t figured out how to actually measure the misalignment. Once that is done, I’ll have to come up with some way to correct it. Based on all of the spline failure posts I’ve read in the Oilhead section, I’m particularly interested to see the inside of the transmission cover when I open it up to replace the transmission input shaft. Sounds like there have been problems there with bearing holes bored offset to the cover casting causing radial displacement of all the transmission shafts relative to the housing. If this is the cause in mine, it might be a relatively simple fix. More to follow… Derek Link to comment
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.