IGNORED

R 1200 rs panniers

StevieSlice

StevieSlice

I am a newbie owner. Just bought a 2016 and the dealer was an Indian dealer so it helpful. 
two questions:

1.it looks like the pannier system was installed on the bike by bmw . I am assuming I will need a bmw set of panniers to fit that system? 

2. The bike has no engine guards which I had on my prior bikes. Has anybody had any experience putting these on after market and any thoughts on best brands?

For panniers, since you have the BMW carrier frames for them you could just purchase BMW panniers or look into a complete new set say Givi,to see the cost difference. BMW panniers can be keyed to use the BMW key. Givi luggage is very good and maybe less money. 

For engine guards you could go BMW or Givi if you want full guards. I used the BMW engine guards that fit just surround the valve cover as these as less intrusive. 

I have a 16 R1200RS with BMW panniers and a Givi top case.

• 4 weeks later...

Oldrider51, swapping my '97 R1100rs for a '16 R1200rs tomorrow. Has side panniers, but no top case. Wanting to find a lockable 30 liter top case for it. Panniers are BMW. While I'd prefer they all be keyed the same, I'm not hung up that the top box be BMW. For one thing, having a hell of a time just trying to figure out/find what BMW top cases actually fit this bike!!! Inquiring as to what Givi you went with, did it require a special adapter plate, and are you happy with it?

Todd

Indianapolis, IN

As an XR owner, I believe the 2016-2019 XR panniers will fit the RS as well.  Might make finding used ones easier.  Same for top case I believe.

If you want to buy new, you should really consider: www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com.  Best OEM pricing I have seen for most things BMW.  Shipping can be steep, but on larger ticket items usually more than pays for itself.

• 3 weeks later...
Oldrider51
On 4/24/2021 at 10:10 AM, ernie said:

Oldrider51, swapping my '97 R1100rs for a '16 R1200rs tomorrow. Has side panniers, but no top case. Wanting to find a lockable 30 liter top case for it. Panniers are BMW. While I'd prefer they all be keyed the same, I'm not hung up that the top box be BMW. For one thing, having a hell of a time just trying to figure out/find what BMW top cases actually fit this bike!!! Inquiring as to what Givi you went with, did it require a special adapter plate, and are you happy with it?

Todd

Indianapolis, IN

Went with the Monokey V40 top case and it does require the Givi adapter which easily bolts to the BMW rack. Total cost at the time was about $325 from Revzilla with free shipping.