IGNORED

Keep Things Light and Breezy with the Klim F3 Carbon

MotoNews

Published in: Gear

Keep Things Light and Breezy with the Klim F3 Carbon

Klim F3 Carbon Helmet Review

After a year of wearing the Klim F3 Carbon helmet in multiple styles of off-road riding, it has become by far my favorite. Extremely lightweight at 2.43 lb., it is made of hand-laid carbon fiber with three different density EPS linings. In my opinion, Klim built the lightest shell possible without compromising safety. The F3 Carbon is incredibly comfortable, which greatly reduces neck fatigue, especially on those long, multiple days of trail riding.

Klim CarbonF3 FBTW

The shell has several other features to love. The neck and goggle areas are well designed, and the opening is wide, offering excellent peripheral vision, and will accommodate almost any brand of goggles. Tested with several brands of neck braces, the F3 Carbon worked better than any other helmet I’ve used. When raising the head to look up steep climbs there’s no restriction or interference from helmet to brace.

Klim CarbonF3 Rear

With 19 vents (13 intake and six exhaust), airflow is second to none. Although excellent airflow was to be expected racing in the desert and came as no surprise, what really impressed me was how well the helmet vented at slow speeds or when stationary. When riding in exhausting technical terrain, which can elevate the body core temperature to extreme levels (regardless of the ambient temperature), the Klim F3 Carbon venting systems allow the unwanted heat to escape easily with little or no airflow. Therefore, situations requiring removing the helmet simply to cool down are almost eliminated.

Installing and removing the F3 is a snap, literally! The magnetic Fid-Lock buckle system clicks together with a positive snapping action and is easily unlatched with a simple pull of the red tab. Getting accustomed to the Fid-Lock system takes a few times but, once mastered, having the ability to latch and unlatch one-handed with a glove on is a feature you will want on all your helmets.

The padding is removable and very comfortable. The headliner and cheek pads are made of an antimicrobial and moisture-wicking material that has held up extremely well. After hundreds of hours of riding and many runs through the washing machine, there’s only mild fading of the fluorescent color but no signs of wear at all.

Klim CarbonF3 Goggles

For all these reasons the Klim F3 Carbon will continue to be my helmet of choice for all kinds of riding and conditions. Available in five sizes and five cool colors (who doesn’t like the look of carbon fiber) the ECA-rated Klim F3 Carbon is one of the best value helmets on the market.

Klim.com

MSRP: $399

• PROS:

• Extremely lightweight and comfortable
  • Easy to use Fid-Lock buckle system
  • Works with most neck braces
  • Great price point

• CONS:

• Gloss surface finish shows light scratches from mud and tree branches, etc.
  • Not DOT approved
0j83HUUfDNY

View the full article