IGNORED

Trouble shooting on the BMWR1200RT

A.J.W

Hi all

I own a 2012 BMWR1200RT,which I ride every weekend.

I maintain its services at the agent every year. Over the last 2 weeks I am smelling fuel when I stop.

The fuel consumption has not changed. The power has not changed. there are no visible leaks and as far as I can tell the overflow pipe is not blocked

but It is difficult to tell. So other than that my lovely machine is purring beautifully. This problem even occurs when the tank is not full.

So what can be the problem? 

My 2012 GS has a recall on the fuel pump. No smell of fuel leaking with mine but it’s going in next Saturday anyway. Call and ask about the recall, they may say until you get a notice from BMW you’re good. But obviously, you’re not.

And it may not be your fuel pump. dr might be able to diagnose your bike’s symptoms better. :thumbsup: 

Joe Frickin' Friday
30 minutes ago, A.J.W said:

I maintain its services at the agent every year. Over the last 2 weeks I am smelling fuel when I stop.

Your use of "agent" rather than "dealer" suggests you may be in the UK rather than US.  The recall that Rinkydink and TEWKS mentioned is here in the US.  I don't know whether a similar recall exists in the UK, but if you've never had the fuel pump replaced because of cracks (existing or potential) in the threaded plastic boss, you may want to ask your agent about this.  

The pump is installed on the left-upper surface of the tank.  If you have the correct Torx driver, you can have a look if you remove the upper-left body panel (the one marked "X"):

image.png.f58cfefd3af0d45d4a0d067008dcb5f3.png

Two screws at front/inboard, one at the upper back, and one on the black plastic below/right of the mirror.  When you take that off, you should be able to see this on top of the tank on the left side (may be partially obscured by the main body panel:

image.png.6da817aa12d0bc06bda1b97635596020.png

The red arrow points to the trouble-prone area: this contains pressurized gasoline (when the engine is running), and the plastic tends to crack, causing fuel leaks.  This picture shows BMW's first attempt at a fix during a recall a few years ago:  they just pressed a steel ring down around the plastic boss to alleviate the stress that was causing the plastic to crack.  Evidently this was inadequate, because a second recall is in effect here in the US that reportedly involves straight-up replacement with a new and improved fuel pump. 

Anyway,  if you see any cracks on that plastic boss, or if you start the bike and see/smell any kind of leaking in this area, then you know what your problem is.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, A.J.W said:

Hi all

I own a 2012 BMWR1200RT,which I ride every weekend.

The fuel consumption has not changed. The power has not changed. there are no visible leaks and as far as I can tell the overflow pipe is not blocked

but It is difficult to tell. So other than that my lovely machine is purring beautifully. This problem even occurs when the tank is not full.

So what can be the problem? 

Afternoon  A.J.W

Do check for the leaks mentioned above but also look into the fuel filler cap leaking gas fumes. I have seen a number of 1200 hexheads leak at the gas cap gasket area & few camheads leak there also.

Difficult to find that  gas cap  fume leak as you can usually smell it but they don't usually leak actual gasoline liquid. 

If I suspect a leak at the gas cap gasket I usually disconnect the tank vent line, then add a few feet of hose to the tank side of the vent line,  then blowing onto that added hose while smelling & listening for leakage at the fuel filler cap.

I have even used a my-ti-vac to pressurize the vent line then seeing how long it will hold the added air pressure.  

Also look closely at the pressure side quick disconnect as I have seen those seep a little due to someone not correctly holding the trigger in while installing the quick disconnect back on the tank fitting (that can nick the sealing "O" ring)

beemer chuck

Besides looking at the boss for cracks, also inspect the plastic quick connector that is screwed into the tank. I have seen 2 of these fail and cause leaks. Beemer boneyard has a replacement metal part for about $20. 

• Like 1

My 2012 had a fuel smell and leak. Ended up being the fuel pump at the metal clamp. Latest recall was exactly what I had. I replaced the pump. I hope BMW will reimburse me. So any way remove left side fairing. You will see fuel puddled up on top of the fuel pump if the leak is there. Also like others said check fuel lines to and from the fuel pump, tank and throttle bodies. 

I had my ‘09 RT pump replaced under the recall. It was replaced with an unimproved pump (exact same pump it replaced I presume) and it failed again 2 1/2 years or so later. Per BMW corporate they only warranty warranty work for 2 years. They did end up helping me a bit on parts cost after me pitching a fit but the labor was on me. 

1 hour ago, Gage said:

this recall was recently extended to 2012 as I just got a letter about a week ago recalling my 2012 r1200

Great, hopefully I'll get a letter as well.  I have a 2012rt. 

On 4/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, 6speedTi said:

Great, hopefully I'll get a letter as well.  I have a 2012rt. 

It should be listed by your vin in their system-might want to just call